DS9 deserved a movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    No, I'm treating DS9 as a property that can make money in movie theaters if the right people are behind it. (The same with obscure video games, comics, etc.).

And you say 'pop culture' as if everyone is aware of what Star Trek is. Even with the Abrams films, there are still people out there who don't know (and don't even care) what Star Trek is. It's still a niche interest.

And, I'm going to be repeating myself (yet again, since people don't really read previous posts) when I say that I know people who thought Mission: Impossible started with the Tom Cruise films...and didn't know it was a series back in the 1960s. I remember reading a comment on Youtube where one person thought the movie series was an adaption of the 1980s series.

lol

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Kira is a strong, multiple-faceted character, not a bitch.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

She's written wonderfully in the novels! You forget that the Dax character has been around for a looooong time.

So? Since when has ship size tallied with salary size?

How much do you think actors make in royalties for their characters' faces being used on a book cover? Since only a few Trek actors even have likeness approval, such a royalty would be nothing like what could be made with a movie contract.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Therin of Andor, is that what Leonard Nimoy's whole argument was about, when he wanted Spock offed in STAR TREK II? That he wanted control over his image? I can't imagine Lenny getting a deal like that, without Shatner wanting A Piece of the Action. Outside of these two, I can't see anyone else really having enough clout to pressure Paramount into doing anything, really ...

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Can you imagine Sisko, Kira and Odo in a shuttle on their way to an important mission, and Kira is going on and on about Odo's and her's relationship?

What a horrible scene to have in any Star Trek movie.

For Kira I'd like to see Hattie_Morahan

She does TV, movies and theater and is ridiculously good.

:)

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

If I am not mistaken, DS9 gave us the first underwear scene: O'Brien wearing blue boxers in Paradise (so sexy :eek:).

8. Bry_Sinclair

What a terrible idea to ever put into a Trek film, it would make the characters seem like annoying, whimpering teens instead of mature adults who know to deal with their personal lives at appropriate times.

Which he did as a tactic when facing off against an armed and dangerous opponent. The scene was set up in a reasonable and sensible way, his choice--though unconventional--shows him to have a sound and diverse tactical mind. He was stripping off just to blatantly be ogled by a perv or get onto the trailers.

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh. I find it amusing when adults get unprofessional due to relationship entanglements (in movies, not right in front of me). And I appreciate it if the unprofessionalism also leads to some insight into the characters that we might not have received otherwise.

10. Ensign Ro

Ensign Ro Ensign Red Shirt

What, Kristen Stewart is a bitch. Strange, I have not seen her facial expression like that before. In fact, her facial expressions are very flat to a point they are none. :cardie:

What we may be strange, that Kristen Stewart plays the characters of Odo and Kira at the same time. :rommie:

11. Ensign Ro

First off, the books are fine with the character of Captain Ezri Dax. It is just this problem, the character of Ezri Dax. True I like Jadzia and Ezri. But, Ezri Dax did take up more than half the last season of DS9 when the fans wanted something else then the deep back story of this single character.

The idea of Captain Ezri Dax with the first generation of slip stream star ships kinda makes anyone can become a star fleet captain.

True, they may not get anything with their characters name being used in a book. But, it does keep the actors name still in print and asked to be places. Still, I think they do get around $250,000 plus per year because of their past characters. With over a billion people interested in Star Trek, the amount of money I used is not out of the ballpark.

With a movie, with a shooting time of 90 days and dealing with the script and other stuff behind the set can take half a year just with a character. Whatever they get paid, their personal cost goes up as well. Security, staffing, going to parties, and for women the cost of the outfits they have on during a party add up.

12. Bad Thoughts

Yes, there was a context in which it occurred, and it was played for laughs, not titillation. Nonetheless, it was not necessary for the plot, and it could easily have been a female crewmember who was in that position. Indeed, Nana Visitor would rise from a bath to be wrapped in a towel later in the very same season. The underwear and bedroom scenes in nuTrek are cheap and tasteless, and I would rather they were left on the cutting room floor. Nonetheless, similar scenes happen in the series.

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the bed scene between Kirk and Galia, thought it fed nicely into the unfortunately cut scene of how Kirk used Galia to cheated in the simulator. Said a lot about his lack of ethics and self-centered personal morality.

But Uhura taking off her shirt in the same scene served no purpose.

Carol in her knickers, no.
    Kirk with the twins, no.

:)

14. Ensign Ro

Just a little weird when Uhura came into the room and her roommate only had her bra on top and Uhura took her shirt off so she only had her bra on top. In all the time I have ever had a roommate, if I ever did see her with her bra on I never thought hey I will do that as well. Cannot really recall me and a roommate just talking to each other when we just want to be in our bras.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say DS9's trashy mirror universe lesbian scenes were just as blatant as what we saw in nuTrek.

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

:techman: For the win there, sir!

17. Bry_Sinclair

Having never seen her "act" I can't say, she just strikes me in that manner--definitely not the kind of person I'd want associated with my favourite of all Trek characters.

Well that pretty much sums NuKirk up, can't really add much more to it.

Here, here. The fact he was in his skivvies does balance it up a little, but there is no need to be pulling crap like that on Trek--they did it on ENT and we all know what happened to it!

It is nice to see DS9 acknowledge different orientations, the fact that they make it look like every woman in the MU is bisexual is a little tedious--wrong word but can't think of the right description at present. But I'd have to disagree, NuTrek wins out over DS9 for pervy scenes.

18. Bad Thoughts

My reaction to the Kirk-Gaila scene is always "Was the make-up artist fired?" The context you describe--Kirk's deception--would have made the scene at least more interesting, although I think I could still pass on it.

19. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

The scenes with Kira and the half naked "hunky" male models in whichever MU episode it was, and all the lesbian stuff, is there for tittilation - pure and simple.

Those scenes have absolutely sod all to with presenting progressive ideas or furthering the cause of LGBT sexuality - which Trek should be doing and doesn't.

Seriously, your posts are continually popping off the same old rhetoric about JJ Trek (fine if that's your opinion of course), and you're now telling us DS9 is "acknowledging different orientations" - gimmie a break.

There's way, way more blatant tittilation in DS9 than JJ Trek. Before I get flamed, I will once again state I am a fan of the show.

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The problem with the MU scenes wasn't that Kira was bisexual so much as that she was a predatory nymphomaniac.

DS9's got it's problems, but it's hard to compare the importance of the problems of a few of a series' lesser episodes than the problems in a two hour movie.