Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Sep 8, 2012.

?

How would you rate Dredd?

1. Excellent

50.0%
  2. Good

38.8%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. A bit poor

3.8%
  5. Awful

2.5%
  1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Just saw it today. I'm giving it a "Good" vote. I can't go higher because I think the Stallone version is better. (waits for the screaming to die down...) That's just the way I see it. I liked the production design better, the music, Diane Lane over Olivia Thirlby...and I can't get overly exercised about the no helmet thing since my only experience with the comic version of Dredd is Heavy Metal covers by Simon Bisley.

Still, didn't hate this. It took a while to get going but I liked it once Peachtrees was shut down and it became "Escape From Peachtrees" (didn't see The Raid, so I can't compare...) Anderson's character arc was typical of any kind of rookie cop movie, aside from the mind-reading, Lena Heady plays a great psycho-bitch, and Karl Urban is good as Dredd, but not as intimidating as I would have liked.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've seen it twice now, as I had to go again with the friend who I was originally supposed to go see it with. We saw it in 2-D as the 3-D showing didn't suit. It really does hold up to a second viewing, a mere 5 days after the first.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I saw it again today, and yeah I'd agree, if anything I probably enjoyed it more second time around, caught a few things I hadn't noticed before, like the film playing at the Peach Trees' theatre seemed to be called the "Mark of Krysler", which I'm guessing is a nod to Owen Krysler, the Judge Child.

Paid more attention to the soundtrack. Very eighties in places, very John Carpenter in places (and I say that as a compliment.)

And Urban still rocks...

4. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How good Urban is can't be understated. The tough task any film trying to keep up the mystery of what Dredd looks like was always going to be that we know what the actor looks like. I'd have actually argued beforehand keeping the helmet glued to him was a bit pointless and not a deal breaker for my enjoyment of any future film.

But his performance here is good enough that, even though I know it's Urban playing him; even though I know what he looks like... I have no idea what the Judge Dredd of this film looks like under the helmet.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw it and thought it excellent. As great as the script was and more. Karl Urban is Judge Dredd. I thought his performance was terrific. The dynamic between him and Anderson is fantastic as well...and Lena Headley was an understated Ma-Ma. I was hesitant over her casting as I didn't picture her as the Ma-Ma written in the script, but she impressed me. I will probably be seeing this again and getting the Blu-Ray when it comes out. The score is among my favourite of the year as well.

6. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was AWESOME. Best interpitation of dredd ever. I love the 2000 ad universe and they did a great job on this movie carl urban was fantastic ten time better than stallone.

7. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's failing at the box office, but this movie going to have a big following in the years to come. Very well done.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what it seems like to me. While technically a box office bomb this movie is going to have a huge cult following and live on long after most of this year's movies are forgotten. Hell, this could be the next Firefly/Serenity.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's tanked here in the US, but how's it doing in the UK?

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Dredd made $676,000 on its second Friday.

That's a massive 69.5% drop from first Friday.

11. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Saw it again. Just as awesome second run through. The 3D ad push on this killed it. If only this tragedy could kill the 3D-everything movement entirely.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's too bad that this is doing so poorly here (not surprised that it is)...what Garland had planned for sequels seemed ambitious and grand. I want more already. I can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Saw it yesterday and it's safe to say it exceeded expectations. Urban *was* Dredd, no question. He had the tone, attitude and dry humour down pat. Thirlby did a great job and made the role of Anderson her own. Headey was surprisingly understated, yet intensely psychotic as MaMa. Not an easy thing to do without going OTT.

It's a shame it's not doing well at the box office, but not surprising. I think this is one that'll thrive on DVD/BluRay, so it may make it's money back at least. Let's just remember a few other films that tanked at the box office: Blade Runner, Citizen Kane, The Shawshank Redemption, The Princess Bride, 12 Angry Men, Children of Men, John Carpenter's The Thing and Fight Club to name but a few.
    ...just saying. The box office take is by no means a reliable indicator of success. ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I wasn't expecting much from this since --while being familiar with the character and the concept-- I've never read the comics, but I was pleasantly surprised by this. The movie has only the barest of plot and moves almost immediately into the bottled up nearly non-stop action setting that dominates 9/10ths of the film, but it always kept me interested and entertained.

The production design (both the external CGI shots and the extensive indoor practical sets) on both MC1 and Peach Trees was exceptional and really helped with the world building in my mind and just providing a picture of the massiveness of the city and the miserable nature of the existence of most of its people. While I didn't get many of the references hidden in the background from not reading the comics, I appreciate that they put that effort in there for the long-term fans.

Lena Headey and Wood Harris played excellent villains, though that is no surprise given their characters on Game of Thrones and The Wire. The mind battle between Anderson and Kay was particularly interesting and well-rendered. Could have done with a few less depictions of the effects of Slo-Mo, however, as that got old real fast.

Urban did a great job as Dredd, managing to give the character some nuance even despite the monotone growl and half-covered face that is the character's trademark. Thirlby did a good job as Anderson as well, managing to add some warmth and emotionalism to the duo. They had a few good laughs here and there, and always pulled off the action scenes well. The gatling gun sequence and Dredd's response was amazing.

This probably goes without saying but this was a massive improvement over the cheesy Stallone film. I give it a B+.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think you're right, as others have said this is going to be a cult hit once it's released on DVD.

16. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

I thought it was extremely well done. A great character and great action sequences. Definitely worth the admission.

17. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Saw it today, just awesome, atmosphere, action, character, all brilliantly done!

18. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally able to catch a 2D screening. It was pretty damn good, and I'm sorry to see it dropping off the show listings at every theatre. I have to hand it to Karl Urban for a performance without ego and never once taking the helmet off.

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like I won't get chance to see this a second time at the cinema, so I can't wait for the Blu-ray

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not that lucky.