Does this superhero team exist?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Fist McStrongpunch, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Green Lantern. 7200 and counting. Just humans you have: Jong Li, Waverly Sayre,Daniel Young, Donna Parker, Charley Vickers, Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Jade and Simon.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I'm not sure I'd count that, since Green Lantern isn't so much an individual secret identity as a job title, like firefighter or Starfleet officer. It may seem like a singular identity to human observers -- "the Green Lantern" as a specific person who passes the mantle down to another, like the Flash or Robin -- but that's not what it really is.

And I've never heard of the first five you mentioned, or the last one. Plus you left out Alan Scott; he's not technically a Corps member, but he's been retconned/grandfathered in.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given all the reboots I don't think you can assume any are in the same continuity. At this point, I'm not even sure Jack Knight ever existed. ;)

4. Nerys Myk

The first five are humans who wore the ring prior to Hal, some very briefly. The last one is the current GL on Earth, Simon Baz. I left out Alan on purpose for the reason you mention. And currently he doesn't exist on the New Earth (But does on Earth 2).

5. Christopher

Since when? The only version of the story I know is Hal getting the ring direct from Abin Sur (or Kyle getting it from Abin, in the DCAU). Where do these other characters come from? What era/continuity?

Oh yeah, I have heard of him.

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Waverly Sayre and I think Donna Parker made one-off initial appearances in Green Lantern Corps Quarterly back in the 1990s. Waverly supposedly became Green Lantern of Earth in the 19th century but his story was shrugged off as a "might-have-been". Donna lived in the 1950s or so and her story was presented as part of actual history because she declined the job.

Both characters have been revisited more recently as far as I know.

Charley Vicker was a supporting GL character from way back, but I never quite figured out his story. He had his own ring, but I don't think he was ever the official Earth GL.

7. Nerys Myk

Vicker had his own sector.

8. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I do think that Green Lantern counts if only because the intention was usually to have someone new assume the mantle. It was usually only retrospect that Hal Jordan was reinstated thus creating the problem of multiple Green Lanterns.

In terms of Legacies, only a few DC characters have ever had them

Batman: Bruce Wayne, Jean Paul Valley, Dick Grayson, Terry McGinnis (Tim Drake and Damian Wayne have also donned the cowl but usually in alternate futurues)

Wonder Woman: Hipolyta, Diana, Artemis, Donna Troy (Cassandra Sandsmark has worn the crown in an alternate future)

The Flash: Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Wally West, Bart Allen

I think that Green Lantern, Starman and Blue Beetle are the only other characters with any sort of serious legacy.

There have been 3 Atoms, 2 Green Arrows, 2 Aqualads, 2 Fire Storms

9. Christopher

Don't forget there have been multiple Robins and several Batgirls too.

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

On the original topic: I recall a run of Marvel's 1990s what If? series where the Watcher and some other folks were recruiting versions of the Fantastic Four from various What If? universes. They had to defeat Kang (I think), who had achieved ultimate power. As I recall, they just kept on sending FF team after FF team against Kang, who kept blowing them away. I don't remember if any of them teamed up with each other, though.

In the end
    it took a version of the FF who had never even received their powers to solve the problem. They traveled to a point in Kang's life before he became Kang and just disarmed him there. With barely a struggle. I recall Johnny commenting, "Gee, Reed, this guy sure hasn't hit the 30th-century gym lately!"

One wonders why nobody thought of this a little sooner.

11. Nerys Myk

Dr. Mid-Nite/Midnight: Charles McNider, Beth Chapel and Pieter Cross

Dr Fate: Kent Nelson, Inza Nelson, Eric and Linda Strauss, Jared Stevens, Hector Hall and Kent V. Nelson.

Sandman: Wes Dodds, Garrett Sandford, Hector Hal,Sandy Hawkins plus Dream and Daniel Hall

Wildcat: Ted Grant, Yolanda Montez and Tommy Bronson

Commander/Citizen Steel: Hank Heywood, Hank Heywood III and Nathan Heywood

Hourman: Rex Tyler, Rick Tyler and Tyler the android