Does "The Doomsday Machine" Remastered Really Add To the Episode?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dayton3, May 4, 2009.

1. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    To me it is quite the opposite. The shiny new 21st century CGI effects clash so much with everything around them that it yanks me right out of the story because it is so jarring.

But honestly, if people get pulled out of stories by shoddy FX, then perhaps they shouldn't be watching 40 year old low budget SciFi TV shows.

And a true "remastering"--which I would have welcomed-- wouldn't have added any new elements to the episodes, merely enhanced what was already there.

2. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I agree completely.

I don't mind some poor effects shots being changed (like the Constellation shaking or the transparent Planet Killer).

But I do mind when entire effects shots are radically altered (the straffing run springs to mind).

I don't mind when they insert things into episodes that are referenced in the dialogue but not seen onscreen (the Klingon ships from Errand of Mercy, the Gorn ship from Arena).

3. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Sci-Fi Channel already did that kind of "remaster" back in the 90's.

I like the CBS-D remaster, but I think the FX could have been more TOS looking -- or rather more 60's looking -- like Daren Dochterman's attempt at Doomsday Machine. I still would have added/changed things though here and there...

4. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

The Sci-fi Channel never remastered any Trek episodes.

The Sci-Fi Channel showed each original series episode over the course of a 90 minute time block so they could show the shows without syndication cuts.

The result was quite bizarre. With commercial breaks appearing in the oddest places.

In the case of "The Doomsday Machine" they cut to a final series of commercials as Sulu was doing his countdown of the Constellation plunging into the Planet Killer.

5. QuasarVM

Um, yes...they did.

Granted they didn't redo the FX, but they went in and cleaned up the prints and all that. They made quite a big deal out of it at the time -- I don't see how you missed that point considering that was one of the big selling points of the broadcasts. They even had before and after shots on the commercials for it if memory serves.

This was back when they were running the short interviews during commercial breaks...

6. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Favorite episode, in any form. Heck I remember trying to record the sound off the TV from a broadcast in the 70's. (Seems like it was broadcast once for ever ten fucking Lazarus episodes)

I enjoyed the RM, nits and all.

7. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. QuasarVM

Well, I wasn't trying to make a contest of it....but thanks for that link Boobtub! I was trying to find some conclusive evidence for my claims but couldn't find anything...but I knew my memory was not faulty on the point of the Sci-Fi remaster...

9. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

As a TOS-lover, I'd like to defend the original DM sfx... but I can't. Even when I was a kid, I thought they looked bad, particularly the AMT model.

The Cornucopia of Doom was fine though the see-through effect was jarring. The only sfx I liked was when the Enterprise first approaches the Connie, and you see the Connie through the viewscreen with the dirge playing on the soundtrack. *That* was goosebumpy.

As for the new sfx, they looked kinda lame in their own way. Oh well.

10. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

When I refer to remastering, I was referring to modifications to the content (in this case the FX) rather than clean up the prints.

11. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Well, to be fair, remastering is supposed to be just cleaning up the prints, not modifications or additions to the original elements/contents.

While TOS-R does involve remastering, they did a lot more to this episodes.

12. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched this again this last weekend. Favorite addition is as the Constellation is heading for the Planet Killer at the end, where the shot picks up a rear view of ship and then pans to the left to bring in the frontal shot of the PK.