Does JJ Abrams Star Trek have any heroines?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Aug 16, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

In the light of all the hate that JJ Abrams Star Trek is getting, its got me thinking about the females in JJ Abram's Trek. Uhura, Carol, Galia and Amanda.

I know there are some sort of sexism accusations in NU-TREK, however do any of this women have the right to be called heroines or are they just there to be the girl friends, Wives and sex object.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Re: Star Trek Heriones .

I would think that both Uhura and Marcus have earned the right. They were both essential to the survival and eventual victories of the Enterprise.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: Star Trek Heriones .

Och aye, they hae. Well Uhura and Carol for sure.

All Galia did was almost have sex with Kirk. Amanda was brave and courageous while Vulcan imploded around her. So I guess she was being heroic too.

You saw both films, right? So why is this a question?

4. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Uhura stared down the Klingons while the boys sat hiding in Mudd's ship.

So, there's that...

5. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

This is serious question, because as it is presented I do not see any blatant sexism?
    :shrug:

6. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Carol saved McCoy's ass while he howled like a coyote caught in a bear trap when he failed to deactivate the torpedo.

Just sayin'...

7. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

They seem to be great people but unfortunately their prime role so far seems to be:
    1. Uhura - Spock's Girlfriend
    2. Carol - Admiral Marcus' daughter
    3. Amanda - Spock's mum
    4. Galia - Kirks FWB

I'd like to see just one girl whose main role isn't to be the princess or the girlfriend.
    They're making a bit of headway with Uhura.
    Perhaps they can make Carol out to be the great scientist she was in TWOK.

If Star Trek is to appeal to more people maybe they could have a younger woman in a serious role. She can be good looking but nobody's secretary, daughter, princess ruler please.

8. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Uhura was the one out of the entire crew who beamed down to the garbage scow with phaser in hand and both saved Spock and took down Khan.

Zap!

9. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I seem to view uhura on a more or less bias level, however I don't agree with all the hate she has gotten. many male fans hate her because she has taken Bones place and many female fans hate her because she is interfering with slash fan fiction.

But is Uhura really a heroine?

sure uhura helps in Khan been taken out but would Uhura have gone done to help Spock if he was not her boyfriend in danger?

Amanda was a strong woman. she at least could put up with a full blooded Vulcan, I just wished they had not deleted the scene from the 09 film where she tells Sarek that humans leave their partners when they get disgusted with them.

Carol Marcus had and still has potential but the strip scene overshadowed her character.

As for Galia...oh well.

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

If Uhura had taken Khan down herself it would have been different but if you look at that scene you say Spock took Khan down with help from Uhura.
    Uhura needs to be awesome on her own to be a heroine IMO.

Is there that much hate for Uhura out there?

I think Uhura beamed down because she knew the situation not just to help Spock.

11. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Sadly there is much hate for her. I don't think the hate is fair at all, however some of the hate seems harmless and done in good fun others seem just to way over the top.

I love how you say Uhura's needs to stand on her own, the Klingon scene was a good start but that was all she got.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How does Uhura being Spock's girlfriend make her not a heroine? The same for Amanda being Spock's mom or Carol being Marcus' daughter? Heroism is about what they do not who they are. If all Carol did was show off her undies, then you might have a point.

13. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I think folks may want to rewatch that fight scene between Spock and Khan. Spock was getting his ass handed to him until Uhura beamed down and phasered Khan. And she was the one who stopped Spock from outright killing Khan because they needed his blood to save Kirk.

She saved the day.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I think that if anyone else had beamed down, Spock kills Khan.

15. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Actually Khan would have killed Spock. Spock seems to have a lot of endurance when he fights but he still would have lost the fight.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm amazed that fans go to see a major motion picture featuring handsome/beautiful young people who are all buff beyond the norm and yet expect them to stay covered up because Star Trek is "serious" science fiction.

17. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

A few alternative interpretations:

Uhura tries to negotiate with the Klingons and lasts about thirty seconds before they try to kill her, necessitating that she be rescued. She later distracts Khan just enough for Spock to take him down.

She contributes, sure, but she's hardly a heroine.

18. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

You seem to have missed the part when she stole the Klingon's knife and stabbed him in the balls with it just as Khan started shooting. . . .

~FS

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was awesome. Heroic, even.

UHURA STABBED A KLINGON IN THE BALLS!!!

If that's not good enough for people, well pfft.

20. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Exactly. What else does she have to do for these people? Strip and dance with fans?? :wtf::rolleyes:

~FS