Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes we aim to drivel here..

As to Nemesis.. I loved the opening with the Romulans turning to stone and dust. Everything else was dismal.

About once a year I rewatch NEM trying to suck something out of it that previous rewatches missed. I want to love ALL Trek. But really it seems more ridiculous and unpleasant every time I revisit. And that's not even touching on personal matters, like the enslavement of Troi to that animal. And no, I don't mean Shinzon.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mulgrew got the part because Ryan said "No thankyou."

Alan Dale ran the Star Empire for all of 12 seconds.

3. teacake

I've got a soft spot for Alan Dale since he got his start on Neighbours. Oh and being married to Julie Cooper for 2 seasons also endeared him to me.

4. Guy Gardener

5. teacake

That I never saw, though I remember being forced to sit through Sons and Daughters at an ex-inlaws house. Also dinner viewing, I can taste the grease just thinking about it. But yes Alan Dale was in The Young Doctors before Neighbours,

6. Guy Gardener

I'm not shitting you, but in the final seasons of Sons and Daughters, half the cast turned into blood sucking vampires to boost ratings.

7. teacake

I thought that was in E Street?

8. Guy Gardener

That's possible.

It all muddles.

The titles of these shows are ungooglable.

(More than 15 seconds defies my attention span.)

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I thought her cameo was ridiculously shoehorned in.

This is in contrast to the cameos by Robert Picardo and Ethan Phillips in First Contact, which I loved.

10. teacake

I agree, cameo was lame. She should have ended up on the ship through some convenient ship-is-taxi storyline and then taken over the command when all the crisis started.

11. tighr

Just as a further nitpick on Nemesis (although admittedly an extremely tiny one more of a costuming nitpick to be honest), but Riker should have been wearing Captains pips the entire movie.

I also feel that the writers of TMP messed up in the whole "demoting Decker to Commander" thing. When Admiral Kirk takes command of the Enterprise, he's still an Admiral, he's just Captaining the ship.

But I know I'm in the minority of folks who get peeved at this kind of thing.

12. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I would have liked that~~!!!!

13. Guy Gardener

But Kirk assumed Decker was going to be a punk, kirk treated like Decker was going to be a Punk and then super classy Decker rose above it all, and acted like a consummate professional who just muddled on.

What was it?

"Stop competing with me Decker!"

Kirk was shocked to find that it was he was the punk which was a magnificent moment in his development, where he had to pause and re-evaluate everything.

14. tighr

Oh, I agree. I meant that he physically demoted Decker in rank, which was dumb. Decker was still a captain, just not captain of the Enterprise. You can't just demote someone because you feel like it!

15. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Totally agree. Decker was the better man. He stayed professional, unlike prissy Admiral Kirk.

And I would be even more in the minority by saying TMP is probably my favorite Trek movie. It's actually more of a tossup between TMP and GEN, but TMP is the only Original Series movie I can stomach. It's a nice, slow, cerebral story that really stays true to what Trek is all about; exploration, ideas, etc. Then in TWOK it just turned into stupid action schlock and that stuck for the rest of the TOS movies. Similarly with the TNG movies, I thought GEN got the feel of the show right better than the next three TNG films. Then in FC they turned the franchise into stupid action schlock just like TOS did (although INS wasn't too bad of an offender IMO).

16. teacake

How incredibly awesome would it have been. Picard can have his clone crisis and Janeway can run the ship.

Though they didn't do this it's clear that the cameo was all about showing us that Janeway made admiral first, so there's that.

17. teacake

I have so overwatched all of Trek, watched it into pulp. But not that one. Seen it twice. Incredible tedium.

18. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see it as any different than Picard.
    He kept an emotional distance from his crew for 7 years.
    TNG showed us thru Troi that the final test to be in a command position means accepting crewmen are going die sometime due to your orders. Besides, who joins the military, gets sent on assignment and doesn't think they don't have a possibility of dying?

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First thing I'm gonna say is even though I think Janeway is imbalanced at times and definitely bipolar, even at her worst... which is executing Tuvix or torturing the Equinox people so she can hunt them down, she still cares for her people on a fundamental level.

Sure she screws up an awful lot, but there's plenty of blame to attach to her without making stuff up. As for accepting that people are going to die? Sure it is part of life in a military hierarchy. But there is a moral difference between seeing people die and ordering someone to die for the benefit of the unit. That's something I don't think I could do, so props to our military people who can.

20. Guy Gardener

This was Janeway's first command (and it wasn't. Conflicting canon.).

She was figuring stuff out.

A 27 year old Picard lifted his dead Captain off the con, pushed it one side and took command of a Star ship during a frakking battle 3 years before Kathryn Janeway was Born in 2336.