Doctor's HoloCam

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by swaaye, Feb 9, 2009.

1. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nov 10, 2005
    I've been wanting to share this. The doctor's holocam is rather obviously a R/C car radio. In fact, I used to have that exact radio. It's from the Airtronics Avenger line. It's a low-cost 2 channel ground radio for RC vehicles. Nice and rounded, for the 24th century!

It was a cool prop, but I giggled cuz it was obviously my RC radio.

2. Holodeck Addict

Holodeck Addict Ensign

Feb 9, 2009
    Im currently re-watching Voyager and everytime I see his holocam I can't help but think, damn that's big! :lol: I mean that far into the future you figure It would be small, at least the size of a credit card like some of todays cameras.
  3. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

Sep 29, 2001
    Since the tech for realistic holograms was new enough in "Encounter at Farpoint" to surprise Riker (2364), I don't mind that a device capable of recording a photorealistic 3D image is not yet credit card-sized when Voyager departs (2371).
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. es!

es! Commander Red Shirt

Feb 10, 2009
    ^I like this explanation. I too have been wondering why that thingy was so damn big LOL
  5. leola

leola Lieutenant Red Shirt

Jan 31, 2009
    Amazing tune up. The green lights on the side make it so much more real. :lol:
  6. Gates

Gates Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Feb 6, 2009
    New York City
    But isn't that true of everything?
  7. Undead

Undead Continuity Spackle Moderator

May 8, 2003
    Unicron (The Pyxis Unity)
    Blinky lights are the real essential in sci-fi. Everything else is fluff. :angel:
  8. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jan 26, 2006
    Wehnimer's Landing, Elanthia
    Keep in mind too that the Doc's holocam had MAJOR capabilities. It didn't just grab a 3D holo-image, but recorded (if memory serves) all kinds of spectrum information when he used it for scenic shots, and micro-cellular details when photographing patients.

Think back to Latent Image. In order to record that much information about his patients, that little holo-cam had to do some pretty powerful photographing!

I actually liked seeing that not all tech was credit card sized. Sometimes, you just can't make everything using nano-probes and magic fairy dust! :rommie:
  9. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Feb 17, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
  10. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Feb 5, 2009