Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Dec 28, 2012.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No.

But we got at least one more good movie anyway. So it works out.

Like I said: same multiverse, different timeline. All they did was add more cool stuff to the toybox.

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I actually think that Trek needed more a creative reboot than an in-universe one. Adventure movies were becoming bigger and bigger in scale, while Trek movies were feeling more and more like expanded television episodes and were no longer drawing the attention of anyone other than Trekkies and general sci-fi fans. It's also possible that while TNG was very successful on the small screen, that success didn't carry over to the big screen all that much and had begun to fade with Insurrection.

I really don't think the TOS nostalgia factor was the biggest draw or reason for Star Trek XI's success--beyond Trekkies, I believe the majority of moviegoers were new to Trek or only had a passing familiarity with TOS (at best, they knew the names of Kirk, Spock, and Scotty). I think what really made the movie a hit was it being just a fun action movie with a likable cast and cool visuals--and that is what's going to carry over into Star Trek XII more than it being a TOS reboot, IMO.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Its always been the "fad" in Hollywood, probably going back to the start of the 20th Century. They like proven properties.

Wouldn't setting a new Star Trek film or series "post-Nemesis" also be "taking an old concept, changing a few details and selling it again"?

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, it would.

To make any Star Trek movie at all in the future would be "taking an old concept, changing a few details and selling it again."

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Put it this way: He could have had some stupid, pointless death in the prime universe like Kirk did in Generations. Instead, he's living out his final days helping his fellow nuVulcans. Heck, maybe he could even broker peace with the nuRomulans like what he was doing before, now that the Vulcans are significantly reduced in population.

Oh, and...yes.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It certainly seems to be working.

Every series or character gets rebooted eventually. How many different versions of Sherlock Holmes or Tarzan or Batman have there been? Why should Kirk and Spock be any different?

Nothing wrong with rebooting a concept to introduce it to a new generation of viewers.

8. Cadet49

Cadet49 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely, it needed a reboot! I enjoyed some of TOS televised spinoffs, like TNG, but felt some of the series became too focussed on philosophical debates, making Trek more cerebral and thought-provoking in some ways, which I enjoyed at the time, but I missed the adventurous spirit of the original series - plowing ahead into the adventure of the unknown! The new movies have brought back that adventurous spirit, while getting rid of the jargony technobabble and philosophizing that often slowed the narrative down, in my opinion - this new version of Trek feels exciting and new, with an energetic new cast!

Creating another ship with yet another crew, would not have appealed to a general audience - when the average person thinks Star Trek, they think Kirk, Spock, McCoy ... Trek needed to return to it's pop culture icons ... with a more modern twist.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I don't see how, especially considering all the ridiculous time travel nonsense that was introduced in Enterprise and Voyager, including all the technology Voyager brought back from their adventures in the Delta Quadrant, including the weapons that essentially made The Borg redundant.

10. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yes, every incarnation was a weaker and weaker rerun of tng.

11. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have preferred "prime" Trek to continue, but the last nail was hammered into that coffin long before Abrams became involved. There was no viable alternative to a reboot at that point.

I just wish the inevitable reboot had been done without the headache inducing lense flares and appalling levels of scientific illiteracy (I still have no idea what Abrams thinks a supernova is).

12. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Yes
    Loathed most of next gen and its fleet flag battleship complete with annoying socialworker sitting next to the captain and kindergarten, hated voyager
    Liked DS9 and Enterprise was growing on me

And yes I'm glad we are finally admitting this sucker is a reboot and not some convoluted canonical timeline spinoff as to not piss off the diehards in denial

It's a 100% reboot and I'm glad I get to watch Kirk make out with hot chicks and drop kick bad guys again on an Enterprise the size of the Battlestar Galactica

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^It included a character from the original show, continuing the part he played in a Next Generation episode. By that alone it can't be a 100% clean reboot.

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I just finished watching it again. Its been a few years. It was a brilliant way to "Relaunch" the franchise. Having a direct connection to its past but charting a new future. Like digging a channel that connects to an existing river. They are connected but different.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From a business perspective, probably. A reboot instantly gives you a USP of the TOS characters back in action.

However, Trek IX with minor tweaks could've used any crew at any point in Star Trek's history. The idea that Trek was bogged down in continuity and that new stories could not be told is actual nonsense.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Yes.

Would've preferred a reboot that didn't connect itself to the old continuity though.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a large difference between a sequel and just taking all the same players and having them play a slightly different game.

18. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You seem to be confusing setting with plot.

19. Nibbz

Nibbz Ensign Newbie

Judging by the fact that I had zero interest in Star Trek until I saw the preview for the sequel to the reboot, yes it indeed needed it for my sake. Otherwise I wouldn't have ever watched the old shows and movies. I am thankful for the reboot.

20. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sure did. The characters of Kirk and Spock have become durable pop-culture icons. It was a no-brainer for Paramount to revisit them in a movie that was creatively unhindered by the morass of incomprehensible and (mostly) tired 'canon' that came before.

To say that Trek '09 could have played out the same 'with a new crew' misses the point entirely. People care about Kirk and Spock. Star Trek, not so much.