Do you own a pizza cutter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Sep 27, 2012.

?

Do you own a pizza cutter?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Irrelevant. I never cook pizza.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. ngc7293

ngc7293 Commander Red Shirt

You didn't add Scissors to the list. A pizza cutter almost never works and needs "help". That is what the Scissors are for. If I am really lazy I will just use a pair of scissors.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It would never cross my mind to use scissors on a pizza.

3. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

^ Same here. Scissors + food... I don't know about that combination. Properly sanitized, sure, but... I don't know. Feels wrong.

4. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Yes, I do. I used to use a knife, but it wasn't as good as a cutter is.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

If you do ever buy a guillotine cutter, be prepared to spend a good amount of cash. It cheap one will still run $50-$70 and will be a total waste of money. The unusual curve of the blade make them very difficult to keep honed. Cheap metals pretty make it impossible.

I've bought a couple at that price range, and they were both terrible.

I later bought one that was close to $200 and still use it. It cuts pizza like butter.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really? My pizza cutter cost $3, and it cleanly slices right through any pizza I've baked.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm afraid to use my enterprise pizza cutter. It has no guard on the blade and looks like a good way to cut your thumb in half.

8. Amaris

Which is a shame, considering how much it costs.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There are kitchen shears (also called poultry shears) but, if you're going to be cutting pizza much, either one of these or one of these is really the way to go:

If your butcher knife is one with a rounded edge rather than flat, though, it ought to do.

That's exactly the reason I never seriously thought about getting one of those - was not designed for safety.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yes, I do. Has plenty of uses.

I also have the Enterprise pizza cutter but it's a novelty item and I've never used it. Just not a practical pizza cutter to hold/use and I doubt it's really intended to be used anyway.

[​IMG]

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

We make pizza at home quite often.

We have what we call "food scissors". Literally, it's a pair of scissors we have consigned to the food drawer. We cut our pizza with them, much to the chagrin of our family and friends.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I do have one which I have never used. It's in the form of the Enterprise and was a gift by a friend.
    I only get pizza from the place around the corner and they already cut the pizza. Before that I used a steak knife (I use steak knifes for basically everything, they're great all-round tools) and a fork to do it.

13. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

For fun, I found this. Here are some of the pizza cutters from that site. I'm sure there are more examples out there.

[​IMG]

I wonder how much that thing weights

[​IMG]

I think the blade looks small compared to the handle.

[​IMG]

Obscene

[​IMG]

I think this one is scary, especially if the grease from the pizza gets splattered on the handle making it harder to keep a grip...

[​IMG]

Nifty, for those who might like sharks or something like that

[​IMG]

Looks like something from the floor of a garage

[​IMG]

I wonder how that thing handles, with all the grooves and all.

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I have two pizza cutters. One of them is better and slices through pizza quite easily. I have used a knife before, but the pizza slides too much for my liking, or I use a fork to hold it still and then it rips apart as I saw through it, so I try holding it with my hand and burn my fingers. I suppose I own a butcher knife, but I've never actually used it, it's hidden in a drawer somewhere. I don't like using big knives, they are kind of scary. I guess I watched Final Destination too many times.

Anyway, pizza cutters are super cheap and cut pizza well (as the name implies), so I've never thought about using anything else.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The last time I made pizza at home it was the 90's.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If by "cooking" a pizza, you include the concept of "heating" a frozen one, yes, I've done it. :p

As for pizza cutter? Standard kitchen knife. Always have done it that way.

17. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Sometimes i wonder if humanity would die out if all food was canned and not a standard can opener in sight.

What's will all the need for specialized tools for everything? I never had a pizza cutter, i eat pizza regularly and i own knives.. where's the problem?

18. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, it looks like auntiehills but it's plastic, was a giveaway from a bank (along with a frisbee, a pen and a little tote)

19. Amaris

One $3 implement lets me slice a pizza quickly, easily, with no mess, and it doesn't cause me pain in my wrists like cutting with a knife causes. I can prepare food many different ways, and can create a meal out of next to nothing. I figure that works towards my survival to the point where I can be forgiven for using a specialized kitchen tool.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The funniest specialized kitchen tool I ever saw was a pasta cooker. A whole machine just so you could cook pasta perfectly. Because a pot somehow doesn't do the trick.