Do you have a BluRay player? Do you have a DVD player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Shat Happens, Mar 27, 2014.

Do you have a DVD player? Do you have a Bluray player?

1. Yes both

2. only BLuRay

3. only DVD

4. neither

1. { Triss Merigold }

{ Triss Merigold } Feminazgul Moderator

Apr 17, 2011
    Kaer Morhen
    My solution was to stop watching Star Wars.

Crazy, eh?
  2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Jan 12, 2005
    I'll let you know when I get there.
    Not really -I also 'matured' while this whole thing happened.
  3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Feb 19, 2001
    Chattanooga, TN
    Technology improves. That's the whole point of it. You're seeing ads for Blu-ray now because DVDs are a decade old. I want the best quality that is available that I can still afford. Right now that's Blu-ray and an HDTV.

It's only been 20 years or so since the invention of the NES. That doesn't mean the Super Nintendo, N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U are scams.
  4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral Admiral

Nov 22, 2012
    Melakon's grave
    It doesn't really make any sense to me to put ads for Blu-Ray on a dvd, since if you're watching a dvd, you're not going to see any improvement about the image on the screen.
  5. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mar 27, 2008
    Rural North Carolina
    My brother gave me a Blu-ray player for Christmas 2012. He said, "You have to see it to believe it. It is so much better than your outdated DVD."

At first, I was not all that impressed. My DVDs did not appear to be any better on the Blu-ray player, since my DVD player upgraded to 1080p for my HDTV. However, when I started watching Pixar movies on the newer format, the difference was very noticeable. I am slowly replacing my favorite DVDs with Blu-rays!

WalMart has a $7.88 Blu-ray bin which has become my favorite spot in the store!
    Dollar General has started carrying "previously viewed" Blu-rays (recycled from Netflix and others, it appears) priced from $4.95 (without case) to slightly more with a case.

Some of my recent finds:
    $7.88 -
    The Last Starfighter, 25th Anniversary Ed.
    Green Lantern, Extended Cut
    Batman [1989], the GOOD one
    Independence Day

$5.95 - Darkman - BR+DVD+Digital with case

$4.95 - no cases, but ordered 15-pack of BR cases for $25.00 online
    Harry Potter & Half-Blood Prince
    Alice in Wonderland (Johnny Depp)
    Jim Carrey's A Christmas Carol
    Bridge to Terabithia
    The Last Airbender (heard the Blu-ray effects were its only redeeming quality)

The last one was bought on a whim... curiosity got the better of me. As you can see, I am slowly building my BR collection.

What was your "must have" upgrade to BR from another format?
  6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Mar 22, 2001
    Burlington, VT, USA
    I don't quite understand why the poll asks whether one has both a BR and DVD player, since if one has a BR player then one has a DVD player.

In any case, I have a 3D-capable BR player and a 50" plasma tv. I enjoy 3D blu rays on it, and I don't mind normal BRs either. :)

I've also got a 5-disc DVD changer that presumably works but hasn't been used basically since I got the BR player.

My laptop handles Blu Rays, though I primarily use that drive for ripping. I've also got an ultrabook with a DVD drive which at this point seems more a contingency than anything else.

I don't see how one could reasonably call Blu Ray either a scam or a waste when it clearly offers both audio and video quality surpassing that of other commonly-available media.
  7. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Vice Admiral Admiral

Mar 7, 2001
    .eu / .nl
    Multiple tv's in the residence, like kids having one in their room and 1 BR player in the living room and DVD players in the kids room(s)...

I have a PS3 hooked up to my 32" HDTV with a HDMI cable...
    Even most DVD's look better on it which is why i wont be replacing the majority of them with "better" BR versions...
    I only double-dipped 4 times with first the DVD and later the BR versions...
    The BTTF trilogy, the LOTR EE Trilogy, the Mad Max Trilogy and the original Star Wars Trilogy...
    I might replace others if i come across the BR version at a discounted price...
  8. Coloratura

Coloratura Snuggle Princess Premium Member

Dec 25, 2002
    Ohio, USA
    I have a 19" HDTV, and a Blu-ray player.
  9. ElimParra

ElimParra Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jan 18, 2002
    I have both, but since I got my BR over a year ago, it's only to get used.
  10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

May 12, 2001
    Peach Wookiee
    Still on DVD/VHS players here. We have a tape collection.
  11. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Vice Admiral Admiral

Mar 7, 2001
    .eu / .nl
    BTW, i never had a seperate DVD player either since my PS2 could play DVDs as well...
  12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Feb 28, 2005
    Blade Runner. Blu Ray is the first home format that comes close to doing it justice. It even has the same initials. Coincidence? I don't think so.
  13. Pumpkin Spice Everything

Pumpkin Spice Everything Badass Admiral

Nov 26, 2008
    The correct solution - obviously - is to buy the definitive good version on LaserDisc. You know, the one without Hayden Christensen.

14. Boo! Did I Scare Ya?

Boo! Did I Scare Ya? Admiral Premium Member

Oct 14, 2009
    bbailey861 -- Kingston, ON
    I've had Blu-ray for years now and am still quite often amazed at how beautiful a picture looks from a Blu-ray disc. If you are willing to wait 6 months to a year after new releases are put out, you can often find movies at unbelievable prices. I have picked up many for between 5-10 bucks.
  15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Feb 27, 2010
    So, trekkiedane, we seem to be the only two who have neither! :lol:

I never owned a VCR. Bought a DVD player early on (it's long dead by now). I'm perfectly happy watching DVD's (and streaming) on my iMac.
  16. DonIago

Mar 22, 2001
    Burlington, VT, USA
    Fair enough, but if the poll's intention was simply to determine what tech level people were operating at, then it still seems like a silly option to me. Not a big deal though.

This would be a more interesting situation if BR players couldn't handle DVDs.

Heck, one of the minor benefits from my BR player...though I might have mooted it via double-dips by that some DVDs that wouldn't play on my DVD player due to scratches or what-not ended up playing just fine on my BR player.
  17. Spot's Ghost

Spot's Ghost Spot's Meow Premium Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Hotel California
    I just bought a cheap DVD player a year ago after my previous one died. I just finally got an HDTV in the past year, so there's been no need to upgrade to Blu Ray. I wouldn't be opposed to getting one as a gift and using it, but I don't see myself paying for one. The main reason is because I just don't buy that many movies/TV shows. I stream what I want from various services online, mostly Netflix. I own about 25 VHS tapes and 15 DVDs, and I think almost all of them were gifts. The last movie I bought for myself was a VHS tape of the first Lord of the Rings movie.
  18. Noseless Ash

Noseless Ash Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sep 4, 2009
    Nope, just a dvd player. Since my tv isn't capable of having the right cords for one (a blu ray player). Don't mind it though, since I have enough dvd's to watch for quite awhile. Plan on getting one someday once my old tv dies and I upgrade to one that is capable of being able to use one.
  19. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Feb 10, 2005
    I have both.

The jump from VHS to DVD was quite startling, as was the jump from TV to HDTV. The jump from DVD to BR is a slight improvement.
  20. DonIago

Mar 22, 2001
    Burlington, VT, USA
    I think I agree that the upgrade from VHS to DVD was more impressive than the jump from DVD to BR, but I also feel like a lot of this might be contingent on viewing conditions.

For example, I enjoy watching 3D Blu rays on my 50" tv, but think it would be pointless to watch on anything smaller. Conversely I can imagine how it would be more impressive on a larger display.

Similarly for the discs themselves...the smaller the display, the less room there is, so to speak, to notice improvements.