Disappointing DVD releases

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Miss Chicken, May 3, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

More disappointments:

- the first Blu-Ray versions of Gladiator and The Fifth Element, which were of horrible picture quality.

- the standard DVD of 2010. It wasn't even anamorphic!

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

The region free copy I got of Zatoichi The Last was horrible. The video played at a different rate to the audio, and often froze. Just terrible quality.

The third series of Black Books had no commentary despite the previous two series having commentary on each episode.

Many TV series put out by Showtime have no extras pertaining to the series. Often times they come with an episode of another series as an extra. Usually something I have no interest in watching.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CBS are the ones who have the rights to the television shows and are paying for their upgrades, not Paramount.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I always assumed that there wouldn't have to be *that* much done to TMP to qualify it for Blu-Ray release. The effects would have to be 're-rendered'. What exactly does this involve? Not doing them all over again from scratch, I take it. Re-rendering, isn't that a bit like re-compiling a computer program?

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Malcolm in the Middle is the poster child for this.

The first two seasons were music-heavy. The third season onward were music-free. The studio paid for the music clearances for the first season DVD. They scheduled a DVD release of the second season for late 2003, but the middling sales on the first season scuppered the release since the studio had hard stats that it wasn't going to be cost-effective to license the music. So even though seasons three onward are "in the clear" in terms of music licenses, because the studio won't release season two on DVD, they won't release the rest of it, either.

The whole series, with altered music, is available on Netflix. And it does appear that the UK is finally getting Malcolm in its entirety on DVD this year. So there may be some movement on finally getting the complete Malcolm on DVD.

6. ATimson

Yes, but you have to meet several criteria for it to be applicable:

1) You need to have the original source files. (With the death of Foundation Imaging, they may have been lost.)

2) You need to have the version of the software used to create the files, or they need to open trouble-free in newer versions of it.

3) The source models need to have enough detail in them to be suitable for HD resolutions.

If any one of those three conditions fail - two technical, one time-and-money in the original implementation - then they'll need to be putting a lot more work into bringing the effects up to HD spec.

I know that Pixar had to put quite a bit of time & effort into getting their Toy Story files "modernized" in order to create the rerenders for the 3D releases.

7. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

So? CBS is just a TV network. Paramount spends billions on movies; surely they can spare a few pennies to upgrade one movie. If anything, this matter of semantics utterly exposes how unacceptable it is for them not to have done this already.

These days I prefer to see shows released in their entirety in one set rather than piecemeal. Yes, even if it's taken to ridiculous extremes like the 1,200-episode Dark Shadows set that just came out. Malcolm in the Middle is a good example of why they should just do the whole thing at once, same with Black Books (per the earlier comment that the third series was lacking commentaries). The world is still waiting for a 2nd Season release of Better Off Ted. It's not letter-to-the-law of the thread topic, but I would add "no releases of later seasons" as a disappointment for many series. Fans of Kojak and Mary Tyler Moore Show had to wait years before anyone bothered to release later seasons of those shows; I'm actually wanting to see later seasons of Cannon but it doesn't appear likely to happen. That's why I'm glad they released all of Six Million Dollar Man in one set, or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (initially; they've since reissued just the first season), or even Dark Shadows. They also gave up issuing individual seasons of Law & Order and just put the whole 20 years out at once.

It's expensive, but for fans it's better than waiting a decade.

Alex

8. Mr. Laser Beam

AFAIK, the individual season sets are still coming out.

9. ATimson

Yes, they are - whatever the next season was (season 9?) is coming out this summer.

On the other hand, at this point it's basically "free" for them to do future releases; the full series set was a box of what will be the individual season releases, right down to the UPC barcode on the back of each. :lol:

10. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

DVDs? Talk about old school! :P

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Hey, I still have Laserdiscs and Beta tapes!

12. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:klingon:

Dammit, that pisses me off. I bought the Die Hard set some time ago and kind of put it away and never got around to watching it. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I just find it irritating that when you shell out money for their product, they aren't giving you what you saw at the theater.

13. ATimson

Uhh... they are giving you what you saw at the theater on the Live Free or Die Hard Blu-ray. :confused:

14. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What disappoints me is when only the first season is released. And when you are missing part of a story because of a crossover episode.

15. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find it disappointing that in the past region 4 releases often lacked the special features of their R1 releases. It happened a lot a couple of years ago, but in more recent times I've come across it less.

16. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I was pleasantly surprised by The Bionic Woman which came with cross over episodes from The Six Million Dollar Man.

I was unpleasantly surprised when the audio went out on a second season episode of the The Bionic Woman.

17. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ATimson is right - the 'Live Free or Die Hard' blu-ray is the theatrical version, which was rated PG-13. The DVD on the other hand, had both the PG-13 theatrical version and the unrated version through seamless branching.

18. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I guess my memory is messed up then, but I recall him saying the MF line as he shot Tim Olyphant at the end of the movie. Guess it's just such an expected thing for him to say that my memory fills in the blanks even though you're telling me I didn't actually see that the theater.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Different extra feature for the regions, there is very little reason as to why a region A or B should have different features.

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

what annoys me is half seasons. It's a shitty attempt at a double dip and I refuse to bite