Did the Klingons destroy Romulus in Abrams Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bbjeg, Jun 6, 2013.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now, the House of Duras did have access to Soren's weapon. With the code aboard their Bird of Prey, they may have transmitted specs back to their base before being destroyed.

Me, a reboot might be to tie the JJ universe back into the prime universe.

If I am section 31, I have three goals.

Destroy Praxis and cripple the Klingons. Done--but other schemes
    exposed.

Destroy Romulas--Done

Learn from Kirks missions and travel back to the past. Perhaps a stowaway on Narada

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Then why were the Duras sisters still hanging around in orbit?

:)

3. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't know about that. I don't think there's much honor in blowing up an entire world, a world filled with people who have no stake in relations between Romulans and Klingons.

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The title of "Destroyer of the Enterprise" would be respected by most.

5. Admiral_Sisko

But not the monicker "Violators of the Khitomer Accords." The Duras sisters would have accomplished nothing by destroying the Enterprise except to drag the Klingons into a war with the Federation, hardly a smart move.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

They'll at least get revenge for Picard gathering that fleet that foiled their plans. Revenge is a dish best served with Klingon disruptors.

7. Admiral_Sisko

What good is revenge if you're dead? They would not have lasted a week following the destruction of the Enterprise, and their plans to gain control of the Klingon Empire would have been rendered moot.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

With Soren's weapon and the only ship who knew about it out of the way, they could just blow up star after star of the people who stand against them.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Moving this to the forum devoted to Abrams Trek...

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

A big orange star at the edge of Federation space near the Klingon border/KNZ. Not a star in Romulan territory.

It wasn't. Red matter black hole time travel does not appear to work that way. Spock and Nero's departure point, Nero's arrival point, and Spock's arrival point are all distinct locations. We know from information given in the film that Spock's emergence point is in the Neutral Zone, and it was calculated by Nero, making it a different location from Nero's emergence point. Thus, by this fact alone we know that at least one of the time travelers did not end up in the same location as their departure point, which means that generally speaking it is not required that either of them did.

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    So ? It threatened the GALAXY. It was a completely new type of nova.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now Rick Sternbach gave us that concept first with the Phi Puma supernova in his Chronology--galactic fault lines, super strings...

13. Set Harth

But it seemingly destroyed the Romulan capital before coming anywhere near other planets whose destruction would have been worthy of note, such as the Klingon capital, Earth, or, say, Vulcan. This implies it most likely originated in Romulan space.

14. Belz...

Klingon and Romulan spaces are very close to each other. Also, we don't know how this nova works, so saying it "implies" anything is speculation.

15. Set Harth

Hobus doesn't have to be in the part of Romulan space which is closest to Klingon space. Nimoy's narration didn't mention, say, Kronos getting destroyed or threatened with destruction. It doesn't give the impression that Klingon space and Romulan space were facing equally imminent doom and Spock just chose to try to save Romulus arbitrarily.

16. Belz...

Well, Star Trek has never had an official map and the writers were always lazy about what's where. Remember in DS9 where the crew takes a runabout to Earth and get there real quick ?

17. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Well, there have been maps of the galaxy seen in the episodes. However, a number of these maps contradict real world knowledge and fictional world knowledge.

I know from DS9 that the Romulan space is surrounded by the Cardassians, the Klingons, and the Federation.

This dialogue is from the episode "In the Pale Moonlight".

I know, based on inference, that the Klingons are either above or below the Romulans. How do I know this? There is this map from "The Defector". I know from Star Trek II that the Gamma Hydra Sector, named after the Gamma Hydra system, included a portion of the Federation-Klingon border. This map shows the outposts 3 to 6, which appeared in a map from "The Balance of Terror".

[​IMG]

18. Belz...

Yeah. Unfortunately the maps are often contradictory or, let's say, vague, like the one in Conspiracy (TNG).

19. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? Did you miss the first movie? Romulans destroyed Romulus in Abrams universe. The Klingons had nothing to do with it.

20. Set Harth

Two things:

* There is no indication from the 09 film that Romulans had any role in the creation of the Hobus supernova.

* Romulus was destroyed in the Prime timeline, not the new one. I guess we could, generally speaking, call the new films "Abrams' universe" since it was his project, but that makes it sound like you're saying Romulus was destroyed in the new timeline.