Did Klingon culture become too stereotyped by the end of DS9?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Einstein, Jan 14, 2013.

?

Did Klingon culture get over-simplified in later eras of Star TreK?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Captain Captain

The total reinvention of the Klingons for the spin offs never really gelled with the Klingons from Kirk's era. I enjoyed what the writers did with them at first but their culture soon became tiresome and predictable. That doesn't take away from the fact that many of the Klingon characters were excellent despite that. Worf, Martok and Gowron are some of my favourite characters. In a way Gowron in the end became a sort of callback to the original series Klingons when the power went to his head and he became ruthless and without honour.

I enjoyed the dishonourable Klingons a lot more than the oversimplified Klingons who lived by their honour. Duras, Gowron, Chang, Kruge, Lursa, B'Etor, Regent Worf were all great villains to watch.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Hollywood has a long history of sterotyping nationalities, why should fictional nationalities be any different?

3. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although his screen time was slight, Korath also fit the bill. I suppose I've never thought about it, but he may have simply been taking advantage of a plum situation as he clearly knew that what the Admiral was asking for was against Federation dictates and so he could justifiably portray that he would deal with her, with his true intention all along being the he would use the situation to his own benefit. Regardless, without honour or not, he was someone that you wouldn't want to tangle with.

4. LadyT'Anna

LadyT'Anna Commander Premium Member

Does anyone feel that the portrayals of Klingon women are regressive in TOS or DS9? Consider these facts: Mara is Kang's science officer as well as his wife (and look who ends up marrying Worf). Yet Grilka, who is presumably of higher birth, must remarry posthaste to protect her property.

Interesting . . .

5. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Ch'Rega certainly got to live out her wishes in Prophecy, but I don't suppose that's exactly what you're talking about.:lol:

6. LadyT'Anna

LadyT'Anna Commander Premium Member

(chuckling) Not quite. :)