Details for J. K. Rowling's next novel

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CaptainCanada, Apr 12, 2012.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I'm about three-quarters through, and I don't see that. It's going a pretty clear thematic point. Principally, documenting the minutae of middle class discontent and hypocrisy (which was something she also did in Harry Potter, albeit with considerably more whimsy), and criticizing the austerity regime of the current British government and the class attitudes behind it (which she's done openly before, as in the last British general election).

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some people are, in fact, "pretty damn stupid." ;)

Of course I was being a bit facetious there. However, authors are often thought of as a "brand": Stephen King is horror, John Grisham is legal thrillers, Louis L'Amour is westerns.

Since Rowling doesn't have a "brand" beyond kids' books it wouldn't be surprising to have people automatically assume this book is for kids as well.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the second time I've noticed you proclaiming that Rowling isn't a good writer. Would you care to enlighten us as to why you think that?

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I finished it last night. That's some pretty bleak stuff.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That was my impression from others. I'm not going to bother reading it. I don't need bleak.