Details for J. K. Rowling's next novel

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CaptainCanada, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Damn typo! I better copyright that before Saatchi and Saatchi get to it!

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Are they still going?

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, she and the former Prime Minister are good friends, apparently.

Rowling's attitude towards politicians and political leaders is a bit more complex than just dislike -- even in the Harry Potter books, some political leaders are seen in a good light, and many of the main characters go on to work for the Ministry of Magic. It's not that she's anti-politician, per se, so much as it is that she depicts political systems as often falling into the hands of people who are more interested in power and self-glorification than in good governance.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Could have fooled me.

Every politician and bureaucrat (even the good ones) are depicted in a negative manner.

At least Paul Cornell was more enthusiastic and open in his support of Labour.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know if she could be much more enthusiastic and open than this:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1894410_1893847_1894201,00.html

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah good old Gordon "I have eliminated boom and bust" Brown.

The same Brown who loved the poor so much he elimitated the 10p tax rate so they all had to pay more. The same Brown who sold Britain's gold reserves when the price was at a 20 year low and raided the pensions...

Sorry :) Rowling always gets my goat when she starts talking politics ever since I read/saw an interview with her where she basically said "Well I could have got a job but then I wouldn't have been able to write about my little boy wizard..."

7. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Hm, the sort of cover that tends to go on retro-chicklit from publishers like Arrow. Welcome to 1935 or so...

9. Lonemagpie

And who, in fact, announced the sale well in advance so that the price could drop as far as possible because everyone knew the market was about to be flooded...

All things considered, right now I'd rather have Major and Lamont in charge - because they're the ones who, when we were last in recession in 1993/4, actually dealt with it correctly.

Which is why it always baffles me that Cameron and Osborne are doing *exactly* the opposite of what actually fucking worked...

10. Hound of UIster

They are Tories.

It's not really baffling at all.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Major is often underrated as PM. No coinicidence that Blair inherited the healthiest economy of any post war PM--contrast that with when Labour left power and Liam Byrne left his amusing little "There's no money left" note.

12. Lonemagpie

It's baffling because the people who got it right in 93/94 were also Tories, and you'd think that the party (any party, in non-consecutive terms) would have kept records or something: "in recession, do *this* to get out of it."

13. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...elebrities.html;_ylt=A2KJNTu_TWRQFlMA7a_QtDMD

This is a news article about how Rowling's daughter helped her out with writing modern teenage slang. It includes this quote:
    To which I want to say: Wait, are kids nowadays actually saying things like "LOL" out loud? Has texting and Twitter influenced them to the point that they are actually speaking internet abbreviations? Huh.

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Just read a short review of it.. it was good but kinda lukewarm.

It's a social commentary and as far from Potter as possible. Don't plan to read it but i guess her name alone will let it sell well no matter the quality (and as someone here said earlier i think quite a few critics are just itching to bury her alive.. something they couldn't do during Potter as it would sunk them rather than Rowling).

Good for her to branch out and refuse to be cornered by the Potter universe.. she could churn out books set in the universe until her dying days and they would all be successes financially but she's not a struggling writer anymore so money is not an issue.

I hope she succeeds and provides good stories in the future.. the current book is not appealing to me from the sound of it but maybe there will be others i'd like to read.

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Sadly, yes. One of my housemates at uni used to use internet abbreviations offline including "OMG, STFU (which he pronounced stufoo) and LOL".

16. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I've got my copy, though I've only just started it.

17. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

It sounds like kind of a hodgepodge of themes, all adult in nature, as if she's jumping up and down shouting "look, I can write for adults too!"

18. Hound of UIster

Well she isn't a very good writer. I think trying to put adult themes in her work would be an attempt at seeking validation.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wegman's, the local northeastern super-grocery, has copies of her new book displayed all over the store. I wonder how many casual shoppers will see her name and think "oh, a new Harry Potter book...I should pick that up for the kids."

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

They'd have to be pretty damn stupid to do so, what with the words "Harry Potter and the..." not being in the title.