Spoilers Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by nx1701g, Nov 16, 2008.

?

Grade Lost Souls

1. Excellent

72.3%
  2. Above Average

19.0%
  3. Average

6.7%
  4. Below Average

1.0%
  5. Poor

1.0%
  1. Chi'pok

Chi'pok Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

I finished the book last night.

Still processing it in my mind.

Loved the ending!

More later...

David... :techman:

2. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Consider me the latest to have completed reading the trilogy (as of about ten minutes ago).

David, it's work like this that makes me not that sorry that we'll probably never see a TV or film continuation of the TNG/DS9/Voyager era of Star Trek. The novels have more than kept the flame burning, and to say Destiny does only that is a gross underestimation.

In fact, these three books are probably the greatest Trek story ever told. Destiny didn't just forward the Trek mythos, these books evolved and re-defined it. Three cheers, sir, and consider me on board for what's next.

3. jjh19

jjh19 Ensign Newbie

I just finished Book III minutes ago.

Simply outstanding. Thank you David Mack. After reading the first two Destiny books, I've never looked more forward to a book release. And Lost Souls exceeded my high expectations.

So many memorable and significant character moments. Brilliant portrayals. The one that comes to mind at this moment is when Worf and Ezri confer before invading the Borg Scout Ship:

W: "Victory against these odds will be almost impossible."
    E: "I wouldn't say impossible."
    W: "I meant for the Borg."

Again, thanks to David Mack. I can't wait to read what happens next in the 24th Destiny Century.

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Thanks to all who've recently posted their kind words about the trilogy's conclusion. I'm deeply gratified to hear that you feel it lived up to your expectations.

5. Strider

Strider Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I really appreciated it. It seemed really appropriate considering the story. After so many years of the Borg, their final redemption was really cathartic.

On a more personal note, the theme of "keeping the faith" (for lack of a better term) really resonated with me. I might have gotten a little misty when Riker told his wife "I believed in you. And, as always, my faith in you has been richly rewarded." You see the same theme running through the Borg story as well.

I mean, think of all the ugly solutions that were proposed that could have fixed their problems: like forcing Deanna to abort her child or using the thaloran weapon to wipe out the Borg. Even though those seemed like the best and perhaps only options left to them, making those choices would have killed a part of their souls. It definitely would have killed Riker and Troi's marriage. It made it so much more satisfying when faith was rewarded in the end. Deanna was able to keep her child, and Riker's faith in her was rewarded. The Borg were redeemed, and their victims had their lives restored to them.

So yeah, that came as a helpful reminder for me at this point in my life. Thanks for that.

One question I had toward the end, though. The fate of the Borg seemed to be wrapped up a little conveniently. I was thinking of all those drones who did still have something to go back to. I mean, what about the assimilated humans who might still have homes and families in the Federation? I would have expected a lot more of the former drones to go looking for their old lives. Was that ever considered when you were writing the story David?

Also, the former Borg-occupied space in the Delta Quadrant would be a pretty weird place right about now. You have thousands upon thousands of light years of suddenly empty space running like a scar through the quadrant. It'd be interesting to see how the people living on the fringes of Borg space react. And it would be pretty eerie to be the first explorers venturing into that territory.

6. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Perhaps the Borg can be brought back in some way and used in a future series...

7. casey

casey Commander Red Shirt

I am really hoping we haven't seen the last of Borg 2.0. I think there is so much that can be explored there.

8. David Mack

Strider, to answer your questions without giving anything away from upcoming books, I can assure you that thought has been given to all of those issues, both by myself, by the editors, and by the other authors, and all of those issues you mentioned will be addressed in forthcoming novels.

9. LaBarre

LaBarre Commander Red Shirt

David, I also wondered about this. All the reviews I've read have been positive, but almost everyone wonders about Picard being "off" in this third instalment as well as the previous two.

I'd love to know your thinking process insofar as Picard is concerned.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^I think the whole point was that Picard was "off," that the magnitude of the Borg invasion coupled with his own traumas and his link to them had thrown him completely off his game. He'd fought them off over and over but they kept coming back, and this final, all-out invasion, coming mere weeks after he decided to start a family, had broken his spirit. So he wasn't quite himself for the duration of the trilogy, or rather, the more vulnerable aspects of his character were overwhelming the parts we're used to seeing.

11. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I finished the trilogy on Saturday evening and must say that those three books comprise the best Star Trek has had to offer since at least the end of DS9. Loved, loved, LOVED the way the Borg threat was dealt with once and for all...in such a "Star Trek-ian" way. Not through force of arms but through hope...great way to end what could have been a very depressing series of books.

Regarding the questions as to what was up with Picard in the books, especially his advocacy of using the thalaron weapon...I wonder how much his connection to the Collective was affecting his personality and decision making through the Borg crisis, dating back even to the events of Resistance.

Could it be that his emotional state was being influenced on some level by the overwhelming aggression and desire to exterminate that the Borg Collective was focusing on the Federation? Maybe that was why he was acting the way he did?

12. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Commodore Commodore

David, et al.:

**whew** I don't know what to say, really, other than two things:

1. The "Destiny" trilogy of Star Trek novels are the only ones where I've literally come close to reading each book from cover to cover in a single marathon session. I couldn't quite do it all three times, but that's only because of work and because doctors recommend at least seven hours of sleep a night!

2. The ending was incredibly uplifting. Sure, the "darker" S/F stuff has its place — i.e., Terminator, Battlestar Galactica and so on — but, in the end, it's always refreshing to come to Star Trek and find a future for humanity that is, to repeat the word, uplifting.

We need more of that in today's day and age. I'm not ashamed to say, thank God for Star Trek and every other thing in life that makes it worth getting up for every morning.

Gatekeeper

13. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i too read huge chunks of all 3 books in single sittings. great stuff all the way through. just a fabulous series.

14. Strider

Strider Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh good to know! I don't normally buy Star Trek books but Destiny kind of hooked me so...

15. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

Excellent read,if I say so myself.
    By the second novel I was thinking the Caeliar and Borg shared a link,but Lost Souls still surprised me.

BTW,did anyone notice that of all the starfleet ships in Trek (including Voyager) the NX-02 Columbia has the hardest/most tragic time trying to get home?

16. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

Warning, spoilers.

I just finished the series last night and I must say, I really enjoyed it. All the hype and waiting was worth it. I actully used sick time last night so I could stay home and finish it. Can't wait to see what else all the Great authors have in store for us.

I honestly did NOT see the connection between the Caeliar and the Borg. I actually said "WHAT" outloud. Again No idea.

The ending part where Miranda gets home and finally sees here kids, actually made me cry. I have a 2 year old and one on the way and working 2 16 hours shifts in a row, I can't wait to get home to see my daughter.

All in all, a great Triogy. A big two thumbs up to David Mack. I have read many of your books and you have never let me down.

17. David Mack

Gracias, dispatcher812. I hope that next July you'll check out my first original novel, The Calling, which is being published by Pocket and edited by Marco Palmieri.

18. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

19. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

David, I usualy do stray from ST novels but I will try it.

20. MMCL

MMCL Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just bought the E-book tonight and can't wait to start reading.