Deck Plans V: The Not-So-Final Go Around

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

More of a central core, for access to the main computer and other systems. Maybe even a dedicated medial computer.

2. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, is it just me or are the transporter rooms way out of scale? They look too tiny to me compared to the surrounding FJ rooms.

3. Captain Robert April

You may have a point.

4. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

I'm only guessing, but perhaps if you double their size, that might put the transporters at the right scale. Of course, it's only a guess.

5. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

The other option is that the actual machinery and other mechanical doo-hickeys (a technical term for the uneducated) has to exist somewhere in close proximity. It may not be as large as the current scale shows, but I don't see why some of that room can't be used to house the inner workings of the transporters.

Just my $0.02.

6. Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson Captain Captain

I think it makes since that the transporter hardware would be housed below the room.

7. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry to say it, but you are right about that.

What a shame.

If they had just done it the way you suggest, it could've been a great show.

And no, I'm not saying that from a "I hate ENT" point-of-view. I think the show had potential.

8. Captain Robert April

Now if only I could get paid for these brilliant insights....

9. Captain Robert April

Corrected that matter of the transporter rooms...

[​IMG]

Have at it.

10. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

Definately looks like the right scale this time. However, the control console looks a bit too close to the multi angled wall that kinda has a human profile look to it. Perhaps if you move the console closer to the transporter platform, it might look right.

11. Captain Robert April

That console moved all over that room, so I'm not worried about that.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Jesus Christ! Nitpick much?

13. Captain Robert April

We're Trekkies. It's part of the gig.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

What bboard do YOU think you're on? ;)

15. uss_griffin

uss_griffin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

(Regarding regular "crew" having shared quarters.)
    What about Ensign Garrovick? (I just watched Obsession a couple of days ago and noticed this.)

The fact that he was there when he would normally be on duty also tends to prevent an explanation of time-shared quarters ("mine while you work, yours while I do").

It seems that every single one of the 430 crew people had their own quarters, tardis-style. :)

Of course, with the redshirts going at the rate shown in Obsession, there'd be a lot less than 430 crew to worry about. (Unless they inexplicably come back to life like Lt. Leslie did. (Or maybe that was just another redshirt that looked just like him.))

(And what's up with Kirk not knowing the son of his highly esteemed former captain was on board? He can't bother to read the list of transfers to his ship? Or the original crew list when he came on board?) (Or maybe he had recognized the name Garrovick and wondered but hadn't gotten around to checking it out yet. That's the ticket.)

16. Captain Robert April

Garrovick's roommate was probably on duty at the moment.

17. uss_griffin

^ Do they share a bed?

And I think you missed this part:
    Of course, you could always go with the budget pressure preventing them from depicting a shared cabin -- they had only the one cabin set (couldn't afford the time or money to add a second bed). But if you aren't going to ignore what's onscreen in TOS, you have a problem with the shared quarters concept. (And if you are going to ignore some of what was onscreen, I vote you ignore the 400+ crew comments (and stick with 203 or so). (Not that I think this is a democracy; it's your interpretation.)

18. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral

It's worth pointing out that Ensign is an OFFICER rank. Yes, it was hinted at, from time to time, that Roddenberry wanted the ship to only have officers... and we know that FJ used that... but it's CANON that there were people on the 1701 in the original series who were referred to as CREWMAN (ie, enlisted... similar to "seaman" or "airman" in today's naval or airforce parlance) and some were referred to as CHIEF (which is, depending on which service you assume TOS was modeling after, either a reference to warrant officers or to senior Non-commissioned officers).

If you assume that, like the military today, even a brand-new officer is given private quarters while only senior enlisted get that privilege, this makes sense.

Perhaps the officers all had private quarters, but the enlisted crewmen lived in shared barracks-type quarters (four to a room or so)?
    Actually, the Captain has more important things to worry about than the names of each new transferee... he'd be notified of things by a yeoman bringing him a report on a black-wedge clipboard "padd" and he'd sign off on it, but as we saw on screen MANY times, he never seemed to actually READ those things... probably just looked to see that the appropriate person had signed off on it (for instance, the never-seen "personnel officer" that I'm sure the 1701 had, in this case) and looked to see if there was anything in big, bold "pay attention to this" type.

That's what every military commander does, really... the job of the guy in charge is to be the "big picture" guy, not to sweat every little detail. He's supposed to trust his staff. And it seemed that Kirk trusted his staff pretty explicitely, at least most of the time.

19. Captain Robert April

We only saw one half of that cabin. Maybe the other bunk was in the other half of the cabin.

I miss very little. I ignore a lot, though. ;)

20. uss_griffin

^ Fair enough. But if that part of his quarters on the other side is another "bedroom," why not just make the wall solid and let there be two separate quarters there, one room each, rather than one with two rooms? (Each room already has its own door to the corridor.) It's interesting, though, that his bed is where Kirk's desk would be. (The rotating "dresser" is still in the other side (where the bed should be). I guess they may well have intended to depict smaller quarters. It may just have been inconvenient to close up the wall between the two rooms of the set.

How about this: there are 203 or so two-room quarters. When the crew was increased to 400+, most of the quarters lost a desk and gained a bed, accomodating two persons each.