DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never said that Perez was being overly subtle or trying to make any kind of point with Cat in the panels that we saw her in, Rao knows I've already been critical of this book as it is. I just personally didn't see Cat as how she has normally been portrayed before in the comics. This seems to be a Cat that is a little bit of both previous attempts at her. That's all. I guess I'm just disagreeing with the opinions already given...that's okay right? :) Oh and Dennis you must keep your Halloween name beyond Monday! It's great.

Regarding Cliff Chiang...normally I don't like this type of art work but I feel like it adds to the atmosphere and tone of the story that the writer is trying to depict in the book and for me that works. It's not the greatest art in the world but it works for this type of take on Wonder Woman. Dark and gritty and mythological. I read someone's take that it felt almost Hellboyish...don't know that I would go that far but the book is certainly along those lines.

2. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's worth pointing out that the colorist on Wonder Woman (who I am too lazy to look up) is slick, too. Simple, but subdued, yet flashy when it needs to be.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Isn't not caring about social issues and only caring gossip/celebrities pretty much the definition of "oblivious to the real world."

I mean, she shrugs off the plight of the homeless and other social issues going on in Metropolis because she'd rather deal with glitz, glamor, and celebrity. That strikes me as being pretty damn oblivious or ignorant to the real world.

4. Admiral_Young

Well it could be that she's just a bitch, of which Cat has been :)

5. Trekker4747

Which would still make her oblivious to the real world.

6. Admiral_Young

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Too much sex and violence is a legitimate problem, but the rest of it just seems to be either complaining about too much change or too little or just factors beyond DC's control.

8. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm fine with the violence. Stories about people harder than steel and faster than bullets logically would involve a great deal of ground up meat. Maybe less graphic violence? I dunno, it never really bothered me like it bothers a lot of people.

In the same vein, the quantity of sex isn't the problem. It's the quality. Granted, quantity is a quality all its own says Stalin, but that's more a plan for life than good advice for comic book writers. Oh, also, the context. Context is important.

P.S. I just realized who Tim Drake looks like. Red Mist from the Kick-Ass movie. And, if you've seen any of Kick-Ass 2, then that is, by association, disturbing. Yuck.

9. Admiral_Young

When did making valid points suddenly equate complaining? I don't think either of the ten things they pointed out were articles complaining about things. They were stating their opinions on aspects of the relaunch they didn't like. Just as many of us have done in this thread...it also doesn't mean they're right either. I just happen to agree with a lot of their points.

10. Myasishchev

If they agree with me it means they're right.

11. Admiral_Young

^ LOL. I still have to read their top ten things they liked article.

12. Hound of UIster

They certain can be both.

It's too bad most of these complaints aren't really valid imo.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't relate to a single one of the complaints, and a couple of them - like the inevitable bleating in #4 about sexual content - were just droning irritants.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's also too dim or self-absorbed to realize that she sounds like a self-absorbed dimwit. Most people at least fake some social grace - but I forgot, Perez can't write a line of dialogue for this book that isn't a brick in the reader's face.

15. Admiral_Young

Yeah Perez's writing is the only thing that is really keeping me from embracing the book. I don't mind all the rest of the changes at all. I really wish they had given "Superman" to a marquee writer. Thank Rao they gave Action to Morrison or else for the first time since the early 2000's I woudn't be reading Superman.

16. Myasishchev

Oh, there are tons of people who could write Superman well who aren't Grant Morrison. At least, I hope to God there are, otherwise we're really all quite doomed.

17. Admiral_Young

^ I don't think DC feels like that to be honest...as I've repeated like a broken record I still don't know why they just didn't keep Cornell on either book. I wouldn't consider Perez to be any where near one of DC's best writers. I'm still mystified why they allowed Perez this assignment only to learn a few months later that he wanted to leave the book. Just makes no sense to me.

18. Trekker4747

Yeah, she pretty much comes right out and says "I don't give a fuck about poor people, give me celebrities!"

19. Hound of UIster

They probably wanted to give Perez something to do and the Superman slot was open so voila!

20. Myasishchev

Don't sweat it, dude. You're just speaking truth to power.

Rational conversation--

DC: We need an artist on Superman, and of course naturally we thought of you, because you're a great artist, and a great Superman artist.
    Perez: I'm too old to draw on a regular basis!* I can write!
    DC: Um. You can do covers.
    Perez: Nah, I can totally write it. I'm one of the giants in the field.
    DC: Yes, as an artist.
    Perez: I wrote Wonder Woman.
    DC: That is technically correct.
    Perez: See?
    DC: Listen, with all due respect, we can't just be running a commune for aging comics professionals. Oh, wait, we kind of can, and kind of do. Okay, fine, go co-plot the Legion with Paul Levitz. It's not as if anyone will ever care about that franchise ever again.

*And to a degree--individual differences aside--hard to say if this is true. Keith Giffen's not younger than Perez, is he? Although I'm certainly willing to believe that being old is a huge disadvantage for maintaining the gruelling pace of a monthly comic book.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011