DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They forced him to delay Batman, Inc a few months.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems to be purely scheduling due to issues with the artists.

3. Admiral_Young

On the surface it does, but I don't think it was just the artists, I'd have to go back and see if Morrison's original "status report" was on the series after the New 52 was announced. It doesn't really matter.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So what does everyone think will become of Gordon in DC after what "Dollmaker" has done with him?

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which makes me never want to reward DC with money in exchange for Swamp Thing ever again. It's one thing to blow up Mogo, it's another to blow up "The Anatomy Lesson." Geoff, I know Alan Moore hurt your feelings, but you've got to be a grown-up about this.

I don't even get it. It doesn't make sense at all. I mean, in a world with tons of former Robins (and a former Batman) and dozens of current Green Lanterns, I don't really understand why Batgirl III needs to be the Spoiler again. Is it for the straights? The straights don't care. My pet theory is it's a personal dislike not of Stephanie Brown's character so much as Stephanie Brown's fanbase. You know, people who have made it a mission to be obnoxious (albeit, it must be said, for a good cause).

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ More likely, in addition to Babs being the most known Batgirl due to the Adam West show ingrained into pop culture, that TPTB love themselves some Silver Age and wanted Babs back as Batgirl.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

And I wonder how much they don't match with the version that Levitz is writing? (since it's a tradition that after a crisis that the Legion's back-story doesn't make any sense - which is why Bryne had to fudge it and why we might see similar).

8. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  9. Hound of UIster

In this case, I don't see how it's a bad thing.

It looks like the information posted by the DC Insider is sound. Guess the twins don't exist now.

10. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Of course, the most important part of that story is "keep an eye out for Krypto!"

:biggrin:

11. Admiral_Young

I don't see how Morrison would change any of the Legion's back story with Clark since we know that the current Legion timeline is intact from before. Remember two that Imra, Garth, and Rokk were referenced in issue one and were called by Clark's landlady "his friends". So I suspect that nothing will be drastically changed. It's possible that the amount of contact will have been decreased.

12. JoeZhang

I don't either way as long as it's a good story.

Can't be quite the same for the reason that there is no Superboy (AFAWK) and that Clark's powers developed differently. Having said that, I can't actually remember *which* previous version of the interactions between Clark and the Legion are current. Maybe that's the simplest answer, nobody knows or particularly cares.

13. Admiral_Young

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much, I'd think.

Isn't that one of the lamest origins anyway? "We all have super-powers, so we decided to form a club based on the fact that this super-powered guy a thousand years ago was a teenager at one time."

15. JoeZhang

see handled the right way, that has the potential for all sorts of awesomeness:

"Friends, we have travelled here from the future to find out more about your era, our records are quite garbled because of the Great Disaster. However we were inspired by your great heroes - I am Hitler-boy and this is my friend Stalin-Lad, our other friend is called Michael Jackson".

16. Myasishchev

No, that part I get, but I mean with Batgirl they decided they needed Batgirl to be Babs exclusively (as far as I can tell), whereas with the Robins and Lanterns they didn't care.

P.S. I know I usually don't care about spoilers, but I kind of want to punch
    Brian Azzarello,
    the New York Post, and Sue from DC Women Kicking Ass in the face for
    revealing a major major major revision to Wonder Woman's origin.
    If I'd been taken fully by surprise, I might have rolled with it, but as it stands I get to anticipate how it's a bad idea.

17. Hound of UIster

Well Morrison wants to emphasize on the aspect of Superman as an inspiration for others. Going that route, the Legion naturally has to be covered. They and the DC One Million stuff are Superman's future legacy..

Maybe the WW fans can stage another boycott. :lol:

18. Myasishchev

Yes. At least limited to the statement. I sort of like them going back in time to hang out with a really cool guy before everyone else knew he was cool. That seems like a good use of a time machine, if you're a callow idiot, which describes any teenager anywhere pretty well. (Which is part of why I like my Legion to actually be like 40 but still pretending they're kids. I identify better. I mean, I'm not 40, chronologically, but inside, I'm old.) Also, Clark hanging around the future gives an excuse for them to explain shit to the reader without seeming like morons who need basic facts of their lives explained to them constantly.

I'm actually sorta surprised the LSH is gonna be in a Morrison work. I always got the impression he disliked them, or at least wanted to replace them with the Superman lineage he invented himself.

Oops, I didn't see ya there.

Yes, it may work, because Azz is smart, but it's a bad idea generally.
    Woman not born of man; this is an important aspect of the character. It's like having Martha Wayne live.

19. JoeZhang

Didn't they actually work this in at one stage, everyone in the future is taking an age-retarding drug but for some reason (I can't remember) they can't tell Super-boy - so he only *thinks* they are teenagers. I think it's one of those concepts that is mentioned one and has never been referenced again.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Retarded is such an ugly word, better to call them chronologically handicapped, er disabled?