DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How... how do they know what percentage another book sold of Batman if they don't know how much Batman sold, and how much the other book sold? X/Y = 20%? This is voodoo economics.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The people who did the charts do - for whatever reason, they don't release the figure straight away - no idea why - but they release this chart so people can see how titles are doing relative to each other.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

However, Diamond took out about ten percent of the titles marked with an asterix because they were returnable.

OMAC was still the lowest, but if the amount taken out because of returnability is factored back in, it would have a score of 19.8.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, they're just returning him to his original look:

[​IMG]

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think you need to know what Batman sold. I think all you have to do is use a title whose sales have stayed even throughout the period or that has moved by predictable increments. Then you can use that to figure out how much Batman or the other titles have sold.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Nerys Myk

All I know is I enjoyed O.M.A.C. more than half the books above it on that list.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And THAT, in a nutshell, is why this latest reboot will eventually fail too.

DC and Marvel have gotten to the point where nearly every book is part of a giant companywide team up story ("final blackest infinite civil crisis war on spider island 52 itself" or something) that never ends. That might appeal to the ever dwindling collectors (or might not) but it isn't new reader friendly and it turns off anyone who might have an interest in one or two titles but not the whole line.

I can't think of a single other entertainment company that does this to this consistency. Fox doesn't make you watch "Family Guy," "house" and "the Simpsons" to understand "Glee." Warner Brothers pictures doesn't require a knowledge of the "Harry Potter" franchise to enjoy "the Dark Knight." CBS records isn't expecting fans of Bruce Springsteen to download Beynoce's latest in order to get a complete copy of "the Promise."

But with comics we are expected to buy every product the company makes in order to get a complete story/product.

Bah.

8. Myasishchev

He was kidding...

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bet it comes true. Didildo can't help himself.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that was pretty hard to miss. I guess one should never assume...:lol:

Given the Diamond figures, it looks like the relaunch is quite a success. Even if this is a surge that lasts a month or two, they were so far down before that it's a month or two better than they've had in years. ;)

11. Hound of UIster

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Those aren't revised numbers - it's just guesswork by Johnson on possible numbers, the impact of UK sales (which are never recorded in those figures) etc - he's just pulling numbers out of thin air.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I read my first DC issue of the week last night, Animal Man #2.
    As I noted earlier he's not a character I've followed and only aware of in vague terms.
    Ergo, I'm just on the ride so far. Issue #2 was interesting but was more Animal girl than really about Buddy. Have Buddy's kids, or in this case, little girl been shown like this before? I'm seeing parallels of a sort in how the Swamp Thing family dynamic has at times been shown over the years. Curious to see what 'The Red' tree has in store next month.

14. Myasishchev

Afaik, they haven't, but the only Animal Man run I'm initimately familiar with is Morrison's.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Buddy's kids definitely didn't have any powers in Countdown to Adventure, which is the most recent story I've read with them in.

16. Nerys Myk

I seem to recall Buddy's daughter having some sort of powers post Morrison.

17. Hound of UIster

I haven't read anything of Animal Man other than 52, but his daughter was born when he had his powers

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the insight guys. So then this development with his little girl, name escapes me, is something new it seems. Hey, ground floor right? Even though Buddy is a carryover from the Brightest Day events at least they are not rehashing things(it seems) from other eras of the character.

19. Hound of UIster

He was also in Brightest Day?

I thought it was only Swamp Thing.

20. Myasishchev

Yeah, I don't believe he was. Last time Buddy was in anything important was 52, iirc. Presumably if Scott Lobdell had been writing it he'd have been DPing Starfire with Adam Strange.