DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
  3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I also flipped through Action Comics #19 out of curiosity and actually was pleasantly surprised by it. I'm assuming that Daniel is responsible for writing out what Diggle had already wrote before he departed the book? Luthor's latest plan is interesting, as well as where is right now, interesting that he was only referred to as "Mister Luthor" and not "Doctor Luthor" by the psychologist, I also found that interesting that Lex hired someone to psychoanalyze him. The art is just simply gorgeous. Also I didn't see the "one year ago" header in the preview when I stated my previous comments regarding Lois and Jon. I might actually continue with this.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Action Comics: This is much more like, awesome, awesome book and very, very well drawn. Loved this.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did i miss something?

Last week Lex was in a Super Jail cell, now he's wandering free... Oh? He's doing a Mad Thinker by transmitting his mind into a robot/clone to live out a normal life in tandem with his life sentence.

Have we "seen" moment where he transitions from heroindustrialistmessiah to puppykickingsupervillian yet or is that still some where in the inbetween times?

8. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

How sad. My biggest exposure to his work was actually on Marvel's Star Wars comics. He was the regular artist from issue 11 till 37, with a few few issues after that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think this issue takes place before the events in the previous arc. Which, yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense, but, comic books.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the New 52 so yeah it's not going to make much sense due to all the time jumping around in the timeline. It did say at the start of the issue that the start of the issue at least takes place "one year ago".

Again I wouldn't call the issue "awesome awesome" but it's off to a good start, and better than I expected, and Daniel's art was simply gorgeous.

12. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Giffen just killed the last of my interest in Stormwatch.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Carrie!!

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I enjoyed this single issue of Action Comics more than all the ones that preceded it. I know Morrison is a God to some but I am very happy his stint is over.

15. Guy Gardener

God stopped writing bibles because he couldn't live up to his own hype.

After almost 2 thousand years, they talked him out of retirement, held a gun to his head and said "type fucker, type!" but what did that washed out hack produce on this outing?

The Mormons.

If God wasn't such a wussy he should have eaten the bullet and saved us from the tediousness that is Mormonism, but when has God ever sacrificed himself personally to save all of us?

Morrison is not so humble.

Morrison should take a page from Gods book and quit when he's ahead.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Stormwatch is written by Jim Starlin not Keith Giffen.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

On the up side, Giffen's name is spelled correctly. ;)

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, atleast she doesn't look like Chriss Angel anymore. Now, if DC just just do a mini-reboot and erase the fact that she was a literal magical stripper, not a stage magician in the New 52 (no matter how much Johns taunts Zatanna fans in the Justice League comic) then she may have the potential to be a good character in the New 52. But, I heard she'll be joining the Justice League, and while that could potentially be good (because Johns may continue ignoring her new 52 history, presumably because he can't be bothered to read or talk to the JL Dark writer) its more likely a mistake that will be corrected.

So, you have a slightly better costume, but now she's being written by a guy who cannot write anything that doesn't have Green Lantern in the title anymore, not even characters he created (like stargirl). So, she's pretty much screwed still, but maybe a bit less screwed then she was before. But, then again, Johns is the one destroying my favorite superhero (Captain Marvel), so if he can ruin him, he can screw up Zatanna worse than the JLD writers. I can just hope he treats her like Cyborg and only uses her every 10 issues for some random task Batman has.

On a more positive note,
    I just tried out three DC books that recently got new creative teams. I just read the first issue of the rebooted Stormwatch (I only read the first three or so issues before, it wasn't very good) and liked it. After hearing that #19 has the new writer just iterally wiping the last 18 issues out of existence, I decided to give it a chance. It definately has potential, plus it looks like Lobo is getting fixed after what Liefeld did to him, which makes the stormwatch reboot worth it even if it doesn't turn out well. They certainly couldn't screw Lobo up worse than Liefeld did. I also just read the first three issues of Lemire's semi-Green arrow reboot (he didn't delete anything like the SW guy did, he just pretty much destroyed the status quo and changed the direction of the series) and its interesting so far, although the art isn't great. Still, the story is interesting. I also read Action Comics #19. Now that morrison is gone, I wanted to check it out. The cover was a complete lie, and not a very clever one. Still, it was decent, and Lex Luthor seems like he may be written halfway decent, by New 52 standards, anyway. I wasn't planning to read any more DC books besides the ones I've kept reading from the beginning, but these ones seem worth checking out for awhile. They could go either way, but its nice to see a few books that atleast might have potential now besides the few I was still reading.

But, I just heard scott Lobdell is on Action Comics by issue #22. He's easily DC's worst writer, so of course he'll soon be writing both Action Comics and Superman. He already destroyed teen titans and the cast of Red hood, so I guess they decided to reward him with the Superman books. At this point, I'd rather have Liefeld come back and write Superman. Atleast then there might be some horrible art to laugh at. still, I'll read Diggle's issues, just to see what happens.

19. Guy Gardener

I'm watching a Kathy Griffen special right now.

Sometimes you're glad that you're too related to these women that you could never accidentally marry them.

But unfortunately Keith is only a Giffen and fair game.

Although if they did hook up, what an odd hyphenage.

Giffen-Griffen or Griffen-Giffen?

20. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, that's who I meant. Got the two space guys mixed up. Either way it sucks.