DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Some have changed, some are the same such as the President Superman world or the World of Young Justice.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The YJ Earth is Earth 12.
    EDIT: Oops, I mean 16, 12 is the Batman Beyond world.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, what DC books are we sticking with now?

Green Lantern. GLC. GL: New Guardians.
    Batman. Batman & Robin. Batman Inc (mini series).
    Action Comics. Superman.
    Justice League. Aquaman. World's Finest.

I'm on the verge of dropping Superman and Aquaman and GL:NG... I just gave up on Earth Two.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why are you on the verge of dropping "Aquaman" out of curiosity? I would say that it's been outstandingly consistent since the start, with perhaps a single sub-par issue in the second arc. This is what I'm reading currently:

-Action Comics (have decided to give Diggle and Daniel a chance after Morrison concludes)
    -Aquaman (things are heating up with the Throne of Atlantis and Johns continues to do excellent work on this book)
    -Batman
    -Batman Incorporated
    -Justice League (which I recently picked back up, Johns is great left alone :))
    -He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing (upcoming)
    -Superman
    -Wonder Woman

Once Batman Incorporated concludes in May I'll be back down to seven books, which is what I've been maintaining since the relaunch happened. Action Comics will be on a short leash under Diggle, and Superman already is with Lobdell...it's been surprisingly decent. I am just looking forward to the conclusion of this H'el arc. So potentially before summer starts I could be at five books.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to drop as many books as my addiction allows, and the two arcs had nice art but didn't blow me away. The first one was just sea monsters, and I didn't care about this new made up team from the past. That said, Throne of Atlantis has been great. But Reis and Johns are leaving the title so that'll be a good dropping point. I'm sure it'll quickly go to seed with a new writer.

6. Admiral_Young

Reis has already left I believe and working with Johns on Justice League, and Johns was supposed to leave I believe around issue 16 (following the Throne of Atlantis arc) as originally reported last fall, but as of the May Solicits Johns is still listed as the writer and that's issue 20. So things as usual with DC could have changed :)

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Lets see still reading...
    Action
    All Star Western
    Animal Man
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Batman & Robin
    Batman The Dark Knight
    Batwoman
    Blue Beetle(cancelled)
    Detective
    Earth 2
    Flash
    Fury of Firestorm(cancelled)
    Green Lantern
    Justice League
    Justice League Dark
    LSH
    Phantom Stranger
    Superboy
    Supergirl
    Superman
    SwampThing
    Sword of Sorcery(cancelled)
    Teen Titans
    Wonder Woman
    Worlds Finest
    Looking forward to adding JLA to the list and that will leave me around 26 books or so until I find out what new books they will be releasing to fill the void.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

For right now it's:

Action Comics (may drop after Morrison)
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Batman Incorporated
    Earth-2
    The Flash
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern New Guardians
    Justice League
    Nightwing
    Wonder Woman

I just dropped Batman & Robin and Batgirl now that the DotF arc has concluded. Neither had been setting my word alight for quite a while. I heard the Batman & Robin Annual was really good, though, so I may have to go back and pick that up.

I never heard anything about Johns leaving Aquaman. I know it was rumored after Reis left for Justice league, but that was debunked. I really hope he doesn't for a good long while. Johns has made me love the character.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Really? I think E2 is the most interesting of all of the nu52. What didn't you like?

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

but...but Aquaman and Earth Two are great IMO.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I've been enjoying all of the Batman books, Snyder is doing phenomenal work, but I've been impressed by The Dark Knight which is separate from the main stories and has been telling some really eerie stories.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I did initially like it because it was using a lot of characters that were being ignored in the main DCU, and I liked the Darkseid invasion backstory, but all the issues after the opening arc were just utterly uninteresting to me, and like I said I'm trying to cut down on my addiction so if it's something I don't look forward to reading I'm dropping it :)

I am sticking with World's Finest mainly for the art, but I do like the Power Girl / Huntress pairing, particularly since they're from another Earth. I just wish they would bring back the old Power Girl costume. The new one is almost as bad as the new Supergirl costume :eek:

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

If you look at the May solicitations link that Gov Kodos posted earlier in the thread, it looks like Worlds' Finest is indeed going back to the pre-New 52 Power Girl Costume.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Hooray! Hooray!!

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I honestly don't like the old Power Girl costume, the current one is nicer.

Currently I'm picking up:

Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Smallville "Season 11" (Non N52 universe.)
    World's Finest
    Batgirl
    Batman
    Aquaman
    Superman
    Supergirl

Recently dropped:
    Dial H (it wasn't holding my interest. Too out there and just wasn't going anywhere.)
    Earth 2 (not much going on it either to keep me going.)
    The Dark Knight (dropped mostly due to it not holding my interest and me needing to thin out my pulls.)

On the verge of dropping:
    Flash. (Mostly, again, on needing to thin out my pulls and The Flash just isn't a character I find to be a "must read." Will drop it when the current arc/story line ends.)

As said above, I need to collect the issues of Justice League and Superboy that deal with the current arcs. (H'El on Earth and Throne of Atlantis, respectively.)

NON-DC:
    TMNT

NON-DC.... WTF?!
    Ghostbusters. It's odd what happened here, it's was a good comic but the current iteration Ghostbusters... ended? And a new book took its palce called "The New Ghostbusters" in which Peter, Ray, Egon and Winston have been "kidnapped" by ghosts into the afterlife/another dimension. Janine recruits a new group of Ghostbusters to take their place (including a rival group of "ghost hunters" in a previous arc) until the guys return.

This was and odd occurrence in what has been an otherwise good comic. First of all the main draw is now gone (that being the titular characters we buy the comic to see) but the name of the comic changed which impacted the automatic pulls from my ComiXology account. It seems implied the "real guys" may come back sooner or later, at which point I'll likely pick up the comic again but the choices made here are odd.

18. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding book dropping, I've dropped a good deal of the New 52 books. The only ones I'm continuing to buy:

DC
    Batwing (eventually might go the trade route)
    I, Vampire (I'll go ahead and finish it out despite the cancellation)
    Aquaman (actually in the process of dropping; it's been a slow process)
    Suicide Squad (I need to drop this one, but Adam Glass keeps bringing me back)

Special Mention
    Green Arrow: I really liked Lemire's first issue. Green Arrow I might buy or just wait to pick up as a trade.

Marvel
    Ultimate Spider-Man (skipped the last issue and probably will drop; I like it for the most part still, but it's too expensive)
    New Avengers (probably will just wait for equally expensive trade)
    Fearless Defenders (liked the first issue, but iffy on whether I will buy more)

Walking Dead (I just pick this up as a trade)
    Invincible (now that they've hit the 100# issue, I'll probably drop)

Dark Horse
    Surprisingly I'm not reading any of the Star Wars books out right now. Was really into Darth Maul: Death Sentence and I picked up most of the Lost Tribe books.

Valiant
    Shadowman (really liked the first issue, but I'm waiting on the trade)

Indies
    Caligula: Heart of Rome
    The Spider (probably will drop, though I would like to pick up the trades, not saying I will though)
    Masks (already dropped)

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

There's chatter that Damian Wayne is going to die in Batman, Incorporated #8.

While I don't want to see that happen -- Damian has really grown on me over the years, though I think he worked better with Dick than with Bruce -- I realize that Morrison has been building up to this for a long, long time. (Damian was supposed to die much earlier in Morrison's run, for what it's worth.)

If Damian does die, I'd hope we get an appearance by Stephanie.

First, she can relate to Bruce's feelings at losing a Robin -- since she was a Robin that he lost. (And if Damian dies, that means that Bruce lost three out of five to death. Never mind the fact that two of them "got better.")

Second, she treated Damian like her little brother and tried very hard to socialize him to the point where, outside of Bruce and Dick, she was the Batfamily member he had the most respect for.

Do I expect Stephanie to appear in a comic after Damian's (hypothetical) death? No. But it makes so much sense that she should that I feel like DC would be missing an opportunity.

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I've been hearing that. And Damian is conspicuously absent from all solicitations after Batman Inc #8. I hope it's not true. I really enjoy Damian.