DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I did get the last Ghost Rider, issue 6, featuring the female host of Zarathos. Marvel's upheaval in cancellations recently is bothersome. Seems with the movie 60+ days out they might want an established book where Johnny is around already on the stands. He was playing a support role and was looking forward to him guiding the new host on how to cope.

And Thunderbolts as their journey through time continues.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Ultimates was probably the best book this week. The identity of the Maker was surprising, but made sense and Thor is back to talking to voices that no one can hear.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Why was it a surprise? Wasn't it obvious from issue 1? Everyone I've been discussing the book with has simply talked about it being him from the outset. I'd just taken it as a given.

4. Hound of UIster

I didn't know Reed was still around. I thought he was still stuck in the Negative Zone or something.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't a surprise if you'd been reading the whole series. It was a good book, Ultimate Celestial's is something I didn't expect to see.

6. Hound of UIster

7. Admiral_Young

Read the Ultimate Hawkeye mini-series to find out what I'm talking about but Hickman created Ultimate Celestials and a brother leadership one of which is Ultimate Xorn. It's been speculated that Reed's Ultimate Future Foundation are some kind of Celestial species as well.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'll buy the last issue of whatever-the-crisis-was - Flashpoint? - that preceded the reboot. I'm mildly curious about that.

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, there were even news stories in the fan press about it before the first issue.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

There's not much that actually impacts what the new52 is about. Basically, a big battle is happening. A mysterious figure helps Barry solve the "problem" and combines the universes. It's like 2 or 3 pages.

If you can, just read the issue in a comic book store, it's seriously not worth the money.

11. Hound of UIster

Interesting. I was not aware of any of it. Perhaps it would have been better for everyone if Marvel hadn't spoiled it before hand.

12. Admiral_Young

Flashpoint sucked. As Zoom stated basically the last two pages establish the 52 'Verse. The Batman tie in though was the best part of it.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

From what I read online it sounded like the Flashpoint Batman was Thomas, instead of Bruce Wayne. Was that the case?

14. Admiral_Young

^ That's correct. There's also some fun, unexpected stuff with Martha :) To say the Wayne family is dysfunctional would be an understatement. The last page of the main book has a very nice Barry and Bruce moment. Other than that as I said in my Flashpoint thread I think it was the worst work of Geoff Johns since I started reading his stuff.

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Does this mean Cage is that much closer to paying off the IRS? So no more Drive Angry type films?

I did hear about this earlier but figured it would be posted in the MOS movie thread.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Did Cage himself sell it? I thought he lost it in a robbery or something, it was recovered some time later but being held by police as evidence. So did Cage get it back and sell it or did the Police sell it in one of their "police selling old evidence and crap we don't need" gigs?

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a couple of bucks at Comixology, so I'll just buy it online.

19. Hound of UIster

It was better than Fear Itself, which retconned everything that had happened before the series had even finished.

20. Admiral_Young

Both events sucked then :)