Spoilers DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Same thing happened to me, and here was the answer I was given on Thursday:

2. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The finale is now available online at The CW's website. You can skip all the way to the end and catch those last couple of minutes if you'd like.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved Hawkman and his costume on Smallville. It's easily my favorite Hawkman costume, and Michael Shanks was great. To me, it was Doctor Fate whose costume was questionable. It had a good design, but it was not implemented very well. As for Starman, I wouldn't be against him showing up, but I'm more of a Stargirl fan so I hope that, if they use the JSA next season, that we get some of the younger members, like SG and Cyclone. But, I honestly love most of the JSA, so I'd take just classic members and be happy if its done well.

As for the end of this season, it was ok. Some stupid stuff, which is to be expected. Vandal Savage really was just a lame, uninteresting villain. The main cast were really the draw of the show this year, along with some of the cool comic book stuff they showed. Hopefully Season 2 tightens up the writing a bit. I'm also hoping that JSA is actually a part of the season, and not just a little part and only represented by Hourman.

4. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But quite frankly, if they're meant to be lovers throughout the ages, does it really matter whether he remembers all of their past? My impression was that the brainwashing effect already disappeared (as you said), it's a bit of a paradox if that effect vanishes with Savage close by, but doesn't when Savage is dead?

I also didn't quite get why Savage alone was affected by that last coup, shouldn't Kendra and Carter who after all got their powers through those alien comets, too, be affected too? Maybe lose their powers, or their being reborn?

But in that battle-situation with Kendra on the verge of killing Savage - which was up to then their mission -, and then Carter comes along, and just because of an unclear threat of Carter's not being able to recover his memories, she desists? That's just stupid.

And yes, I call it selfish (for lack of a better term, perhaps) to save one person who's perhaps close to you, over millions who aren't so lucky.

But who says that now that the Oculus has been destroyed? The way I understood that it meant that the future wasn't predetermined anymore - so who knows what would have happened. (It would have at least explained that badly handled death-scene of Laurel's in Arrow.)

5. Christopher

What I was thinking -- again, perhaps incorrectly -- was that it wasn't about brainwashing. The various incarnations of Khufu/Carter and Chay'ara/Kendra are born and grow up with no knowledge of their past lives, and then at some point they're "activated," gaining their memories and superpowers. Generally, it's proximity to the other Hawk-person that triggers the activation. What I'm thinking is that, since the Hawks and Savage are all linked, then maybe if Savage was killed before new-Carter's memories and Hawk powers were activated, then that would break the mystical/Thanagarian-science cycle and prevent Carter from ever regaining his connection to his past lives. And I had the impression that meant not only that this Carter would never regain that connection, but that the past-life link would be permanently broken and Carter would never be reincarnated again.

But since Savage's death was delayed until after Carter's memories were triggered by proximity to Kendra, that means the danger was past, because the cycle had been renewed by that point. Khufu/Carter's past-life memories and powers were now "anchored" to new-Carter and so were not in danger of being lost.

The cometary radiation merely weakened Savage enough to make him temporarily mortal, allowing him to be killed by other means. And it had that effect because Savage was experiencing it at three different points in his lifespan (the '50s, the '70s, and 2021). Kendra and Carter were only in 2021, so they weren't weakened as much.

No, it's human. You can't be an armchair quarterback about something like this, can't just glibly assume you'd be perfectly callous and dispassionate about sacrificing the person you loved most in all the world. You have no right to judge when you've never been forced to make an unbearable choice like that, and it just makes you sound obnoxious and petty for calling people "stupid" because they're capable of feeling love.

The future, in general, was never predetermined. The Time Masters were using the Oculus to manipulate the futures of Rip's team specifically in order to ensure Savage's rise. It's not like they were controlling the fall of every leaf -- there weren't nearly enough Time Masters to micromanage history to that degree.

But even without manipulation, the future would still be hard to change. See my comments about the subject in post #1105 of this thread. The overall flow of events would be hard to divert, and even at those points where you could alter things significantly, the outcome wouldn't necessarily be what you wanted or expected. So the loss of the Oculus doesn't mean that any time traveler would be capable of easily changing things to get any desired outcome. That's just the wish-fulfillment fantasy of time travel, the desire for an easy answer to all your problems. Even if time travel were real, even if changing history were possible, it would be naive to think it would be that simple to get your way with it.

Besides, looking at it in real-world terms, what else could you expect the show's writers to have done? Laurel's death was a decision made by the producers of Arrow. And that's still a different show, despite the interconnections. The producers of LoT couldn't change Laurel's death; all they could do was react to it. So of course it was never going to be possible for Sara to go back and save Laurel. That wasn't on the table. So it doesn't really matter what excuse the writers came up with for it -- one way or another, it simply wasn't going to happen.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

^ Much better than a week before the season premiere.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

which makes me curious about the other CW, DC shows. WB has released cover art but not release dates. Just Legends release date so far.

John Clark likes this.
  9. Christopher

Maybe that's because LoT's season ended a week earlier than the others'? Maybe their release dates will be announced next week.

10. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the UK, Legends seems to be scheduled for the first week in Sept, followed by Arrow the week after, then Flash the week after that. Arrow (and Flash for last year) seem to be septemberish releases here.

(Supergirl on the other hand is July so far)

11. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I finally caught up with Legends and I think the finale was ok. Better than the Arrow finale for sure. The show in general could use some polishing. The show felt like it was being written by Grant Morrison at times. All over the place.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe part of it is the long seasons taking their toll? Perhaps a tighter schedule would make for a more polished product.

13. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I think a better quest and or tighter told mystery would help. I like the idea of LoT, but the show felt like it was running in circles a lot. Superheroes meet Star Trek/Doctor Who though, who wouldn't love that?

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  14. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched the finale today. I totally geeked out when the mystery man said he was with the JSA. :D I knew his outfit looked familiar, but I quite couldn't place it. When he mentioned the JSA though I realized he was Hourman.

As for how they would fit the JSA in, my initial guess was alternate timeline. Though a whole other Earth altogether, as someone mentioned earlier, would make more sense. I just hope they don't do what Smallville did, with the JSA having existed in the past, just in complete secrecy.

Another JSA member hinted at is the original Red Tornado, Abigail "Ma" Hunkel. Her helmet can be seen in Rip's office in the Waverider.