Data's "death"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Shat Happens, Jul 12, 2014.

1. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So does the fact that they were able to simply plug Spock's mind into a new body mean that Spock is a machine?

To my mind, Data is a sentient being. That makes it irrelevant to me whether his body is made up of living tissue or wires and circuits. Therefore, Data wasn't "destroyed". Data died.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was under the impression, in Star Trek III, that is was Spock's body, with his soul removed. That the placement of his soul into his own body did not invalidate his body as it was on Genesis. He was still the same person, and quite possibly has the memories of being on Genesis. At that point it gets more metaphysical than anything else.

What is a body without its soul? To a Vulcan?

3. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Captain Captain

That. In the androids's case, Data's data supposedly would overwrite B4's data.

There. Data was designed. Spock himself said so.

4. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see how that proves anything.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Data is dead, but a new android will have his memories. Even if he thinks he's Data, that Data everyone knew before is dead.

That's my complaint about cloning movies acting like it's immortality. There may be another you running around, but you yourself are still dead.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BUT.................
    if there were to be another sequel, at least it would give Brent Spiner something new to do, wearing all of that make-up. Being able to reinvent himself, as it were, would at least make his job more interesting. That would've only helped his performance(s), no doubts, there ...

7. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Captain Captain

Enterprise Soong, anyone?

8. grendelsbayne

grendelsbayne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dr. Bashir was designed, too...