Damn there was, like, no plot at all in the finale

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by empty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. empty

empty Captain Captain

It was all just character moment after character moment.

Nothing happened with any of the characters, they were all just doing the same things they have always done, like many people on this board predicted.

Where was the story, the plot tonight?

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obviously, we watched two different finales.

3. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there was this thing with a rescue mission and the discovery of a habitable planet that was sort of plot-like.

4. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue..."

5. V

V Commodore Commodore

Ron Moore openly described the last few writers meetings as, "we kept thinking about "plot" but then I realized "screw it, this is about the characters!" so I went in and wrote in big letters "Its about the characters" on our dry erase board"

On the one hand it was entertaining, but in all seriousness I'm increasingly perturbed...infuriated.....that there was no real "Truth" to reveal, that there were NO answers about Starbuck, and her character arc made no sense.

6. WeAreTheBorg

WeAreTheBorg Vice Admiral Admiral

You're confusing plot with large scale mythic revelations.

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Only if you're retarded.

She died. God/Whatever you thought it to be made her a "head Baltar/Six" to the rest of the fleet.

8. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

I am really baffled by all of these "plot/no plot" threads. You people have no idea what you're talking about. Please just stop.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There wasn't a particularly involved plot, but there was a whole lot of story. ;)

10. The Stig

The Stig Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Starbuck died in Season 3, so I'd say her character arc ended there.

As for 'Truth,' you're not going to find it in a television show.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

It seems some people are getting more disillusioned with the finale the more they think about it. I, on the other hand, am appreciating it more. The character beats are what made it such a good finale. Sometimes, less is more, and I think that approach worked very well here. We got an hour of solid action to please everybody who likes their sci-fi action, and then we got an hour of closure. I recall saying a while back that I'd be happy with the finale if it at least set the characters off on a new path, and didn't leave everything status quo. They did an excellent job of that here.

I'm fine with everything not being explained. Any explanation they gave would have diminished it somehow. I'm very happy with what we got, especially in terms of where everyone ended up. I feel bad for Anders, but if you think about it, his story parallels Kara's. They both died, and "returned" to play a role, disappearing into eternity when their job was finished.

I'm still not sold on the "150,000 years later" epilogue, but whatever. I'll gladly take what we got: an amazing ending to an iconic, groundbreaking show.

12. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Look on the bright side:hugegrin:

Dr Bashir is almost definitely a direct descendant of Gaius Baltar:cool:

The, now circumstantial evidence, is overwhelming:bolian:

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And since Tyrol almost certainly went to Scotland, I'm a descendant of him.

Which would explain the inexplicable RAAAAAGE I get when I hear the name "Tory"

14. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh jolly good then! She was just a ghost all along. Except no she wasn't....then she was....then she wasn't. RDM in the interview itself reveals that they just decided to have her disappear in the end with no real explanation. This is after stating in another interview that she definitely was real (saw it in another thread 'round here). There was no basis for the vanishing besides "RDM wanted it that way". That's pretty much the definition of not making any sense in canon.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  15. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

16. empty

empty Captain Captain

Damn, the OP was meant to be a sarcastic response to all the people who complained before the finale about some of Moore's comments and thought basically that nothing was going to happen in the finale.

Whether you liked it or not - and I loved it, the ambiguities and all - you can't deny that there were like at least 5 different, really strong plotlines interwoven into the episode.

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Whoa. there's no cause for that. I know emotions are running high at the conclusion of this hugely popular show.... but that's not an excuse. Cool it before it gets you into more trouble. :wtf:

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plot:

Colonials grab Hera, attempt peace plan with Cylons. Tyrol goes apeshit on Tory over Cally's murder, screws up peace plan. Cavil commits suicide out of disappointment and the Cylon threat dies with him (plus Racetrack may have blown up their homeworld, that part was murky as hell). Kara uses her preternatural knowledge of the music of Bob Dylan to jump the gang to the real Earth. Lee decides they should all live like cavemen. Sam flies RTF into the Sun, Kara goes to join him in the great beyond, having been dead all along, and various people settle various parts of the world, the end.

In the modern day, humans start to invent robots. Since humans are all part robotic anyway, courtesy of Hera, this will work out ok this time round. The end pt II.

It helps if you stop expecting logic and just appreciate the style. It's been apparent for a long time that this show isn't really about logic, and the whole God's Plan thing is an "out" to avoid it needing to be about logic. Whether you think this is cheap of the writers or acceptable is up to the individual. I've certainly found it tiresome on occasion myself.

19. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I think there were simply too many character arcs to wrap up to fit in too much plot. Besides, the way the show was set up, you really needed to see what happened to them in the end. If they'd landed on Earth and that was it, I think a lot of people would have felt short-changed. Rosalin had been dying more or less for four years--to end the story without that final scene between her and Adama would have felt like cheating. And though I'm one of the ones still scratching my head about Starbuck, I think we needed some sort of resolution there.

And I kind of liked the 150,000 years later bit. ;)