Cutaway Posters

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by MatthiasRussell, Jul 29, 2011.

1. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back in the 90s, some awesome ship cutaway posters were printed. I had most but have since lost them. Anyone else love them and want them back? Any ideas on how we can get them reprinted and would anyone like to try to get them reprinted?

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/POSTERS/EEPO05LG.JPG

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/3965597770_d247bce6b7.jpg

http://www.salimbeti.com/scifi/images/collection/poster13.jpg

http://www.scipubtech.net/images/Voyager-4.jpg

http://www.salimbeti.com/scifi/images/collection/poster12.jpg

http://klingonska.org/canon/pic/1998-11-01-bop-big.jpg

2. The Lensman

The Lensman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still have the original refit Enterprise cutaway from 1980 (not the revised and oft reprinted version) and I think I *miiight* still have the "D" cutaway as well. Somewhere.

A few years ago I went to the local Kinkos and scanned a few rarities I had, the original Star Trek maps and that cutaway....but the files were crazy huge and lagged to hell when trying to open.

Haven't made the attempt again, it may've just been the machine at that one. I wanted to scan them and get them online so that they'd be out there for folks.

3. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral

Well, in my office, I have the cut-aways of the 1701, 1701(refit) (the ORIGINAL version, not the "reworked" one that came along later), 1701-D (also the original version), and 1701-E, dry-mounted, framed, behind acid-free matte glass... the frames are gunmetal-anodized aluminum extrusions. I have the Pheonix and DS9 as well, but those are rolled up in storage tubes.

Only the 1701, 1701-E, and my two rolled-up ones came from Sci-pub-tech, although they eventually got the rights to republish altered versions of the other two, as I recall. The 1701(r) I have is the one that came out at the time of ST-TMP, and even has the little "Pajamas uniforms" on the guys inside. I guess it's worth quite a bit at this point.

I was disappointed to see that they seem to have gone out-of-print, but that's inevitable, I guess.

I love 'em, but I don't really need them replaced. I'm sure that at some point someone will get ahold of the original lithograph plates (which I have reason to believe are being maintained) and will run additional runs of these. The more people who want them, the sooner this will come to pass.

4. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had a cutaway of the refit Enterprise in my first apartment. What was the difference
    between the original and the reworked one? I bought mine in 1985 if I remember it right.

5. MatthiasRussell

I think there are many fans who have lost them or never had a chance to get them and would like to. The cost of reprinting those beauties would probably be less than paying the Haynes people or another editor. We get a cool vintage reprint and the franchise makes more profit with less investment. Everybody wins!

We would just have to inspire the franchise to make it happen.

6. Mage

Mage Commodore Commodore

I'd love to get the DS9 one. My girlfriend gave me the cutaway from the E-D, which was just amazing to have really.

7. M

M Vice Admiral Admiral

I would buy the Deep Space Nine one in a heartbeat. And I still got the Enterprise-D cutaway from when I was a child.

8. MatthiasRussell

Can anyone who has any see who the publisher was so we can contact them and find out how to make a reprint happen?

9. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The original one is considerably bigger and a helluva lot easier to read.

10. Trelane

Trelane Lieutenant Commander

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I still have all mine. :)

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always wanted the Deep Space Nine and Enterprise-E cutaway posters. I think the Star Trek Communicator offered them in their catalog for the longest time. Perhaps a company like Quantum Mechanix could grab a Classic Trek (I think they have JJ Trek license now) and produce new ones. Otherwise we're probably dreaming.

13. Chemahkuu

Chemahkuu Admiral Admiral

I have the Enterprise-D one. :)

14. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

If the print itself isn't on acid free paper (it'll off gas- which is worse if it's a sealed frame), the acid free matte won't make much of a difference unless it's buffered (if not, you can buy a buffering agent from any conservation supply store and apply it yourself).

And if the glass doesn't have UV inhibitors on it, you can buy UV inhibiting Mylar and affix that (static) to the glass.

If the frame is wood, make sure it's sealed, or it will off gas and contribute to the deterioration of the print.

If all the materials are inert, and your frame is sealed from atmospheric pollutants, then you're laughing- it'll last a long long time.

<sigh> I miss working with art and artifacts...

15. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

I have the Ent-A, Ent-D and Ent-E prints framed. I would love to have the DS9 print!

ETA: My prints are in archival mounts (acid-free, etc.)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I think I'm off-gassing as we speak!

17. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

^
    must have been the bourbon and beans

18. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can they be found bigger version? Especially Ent-E?

19. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral

You guys do know that Sci-Pub-Tech is actually back in business again, right? (They shut down a while back, but seem to have returned).

http://www.scipubtech.net

They're really your only option today. Some of these are their own original work... some is derivative (and modified from the original) but still nice.

20. MatthiasRussell

su-weet. Thanks for the link. I'll be picking those up. I hope the E gets reprinted.