COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Jan 20, 2013.

1. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

See, Pike. That's what happens when you take someone who should be a Jr. Lt. at best and smuggled aboard your ship while suspended, and rather than throw him in the brig, proceed to make him first officer on the immediate mission, then bump him all the way up to Captain & CO permanently thereafter. Not exactly surprising if he's got an overdeveloped sense of entitlement from all that...

Yeah. Did that scene seem as dodgy in the early 80s as it does now? I can't even open a free e-mail account with a five-character password, let alone override a ship capable of massive destruction!

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That story confused me. Except for showing April standing in the brig a-la John Harrison, setting the stage for some Prime Directive-related tension ("a grave crime committed by your commanders"), and showing that one can regain control of the Enterprise by rebooting it (e.g. while it's plunging into the atmosphere), I can't see that it set up much for the movie.

But, what do I know.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^There's also the stuff about Starfleet & Starfleet Intelligence being involved in something that has to do with the Klingons and a possible war with them that's coming.

4. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Some things it (and the preceding monthly series) do seem to have set up: Thanks to Nero, Kirk and company may be the only honest people left in Starfleet (and we're not even sure about a certain Asian helmsman). There is something seriously wrong in San Francisco, Admirals Marcus and Pike are up to their eyeballs in it, and this John Harrison (whoever he is) is poised to take full advantage of it. The Klingons, too, are back in full badass villain mode and itching to take the Federation on (with no Organians in the way this time). Kirk is questioning his commitment to the Prime Directive and being a obedient little starship captain, Spock is in full PTSD and looking to martyr himself, and neither are really getting along with each other like they're supposed to. Our crew have all the makings of the heroes we remember, but not nearly enough of the experience.

This Star Trek universe is seriously dark and twisted compared to the one we saw in the 1960's - and things are about to take a sharp turn for the worse.

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Does anyone have the date when the last comic (#4) comes out? Or has it come out already?

Thanks!

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Out today.

7. SalvorHardin

It's out. Look up a few posts :p

8. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

My apologies. I thought I had read it was only out electronically at the moment.

9. SalvorHardin

:) No worries.
    I believe the book with all 4 issues together is out too today, not just Countdown 4.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't got issue 4 yet, but an observation of those pages posted above. That picture of April in the brig in the comic is almost identical to the image from the movie of Harrison in the brig. April is even in the same pose as Harrison. The only real difference is that Kirk and Spock are on opposite sides in the comic than in the movie, and therefore April is looking to his right as opposed to Harrison looking to the left.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's interesting to hear that Kirk was ordered to the Nibiru system. I was under the impression that he came across the planet on his own. Raises some questions. If Starfleet wanted Kirk to simply observe the civilization there, wouldn't Starfleet have done prior preliminary long-range scans of the planet and its makeup that would've shown the super volcano was brewing and the planet could be doomed? If so, then why send Kirk there to observe a planet die? I'm probably just overthinking it, I guess.

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

THIS.

I wish that many of the fan base would find another sci-fi movie to watch, or stick with the older TV shows and movies (and fan shows like Star Trek: Phase II.)

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, we've seen that the artists for the Abramsverse comics rely heavily on photo reference. And that was pretty much the only publicly available photo of the Abramsverse Enterprise brig.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I mean why should he be concerned that some guy who has been considered dead for 20 years just walked onto the bridge of the Federation flagship and managed to take the ship over and almost hand it over the the Klingons using a code that programmed into one ship that was decommissioned two years ago that for some reason was carried over to his ship?

Or why should he maybe pissed about the fact that the federation is not only allowing the Klingons to commit genocide but also are covering it up.

As opposed to the other one where a flag officer's response to Kirk possibly murdering a guy was to offer him a ground posting in exchange for covering it up, or the time a Starship captain violated the Prime Directive to get rich off a possible fountain of youth, or the federation not bothering to check if one of their member planets might be oppressing a group of its citizens.

Seriously the TOS era federation did some pretty shady things at times.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on what I skimmed over from the first 38 minutes of the movies screened in Brazil, it is stated in the movie that Kirk was ordered to Nibiru to watch the civilization die.

That's pretty much true of IDW in general.

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

And that's why the current comic books are better, art-wise, than the ones published by Gold Key, Marvel, and DC (Volume One of the DC Comics Star Trek title, Volume 2 and 3 of the Marvel ones.)

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I find an over reliance on photo reference produces poor art.

18. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Computer security is pretty poor in the future..lol

-Chris

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first reference to the Prime Directive occurs in the episode The Return of the Archons. [5]
    The Prime Directive is explicitly defined in the Star Trek episode "Bread and Circuses," which is set in 2267:
    “ "No identification of self or mission. No interference with the social development of said planet. No references to space or the fact that there are other worlds or civilizations." ”

it had been indicated to include purposeful efforts to improve or change in any way the natural course of such a society, even if that change is well-intentioned and kept completely secret. "Pre-warp" is defined as any culture which has not yet attained warp drive technology and is thus, implicitly, unaware of the existence of alien races. Starfleet allows scientific missions to investigate and secretly move amongst pre-warp civilizations as long as no advanced technology is left behind, and there is no interference with events or no revelation of their identity. This can usually be accomplished with hidden observation posts, but Federation personnel may disguise themselves as local sentient life and interact with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

That is why in Bread and Circuses Kirk comes up with his lie about his ship being somewhere at sea (which I guess JJ is taking literally in Into Darkness :p

I think the intent in the original series was that Starfleet couldn't go into primitive cultures and mess with them. If a planet managed to figure out there was space travel, and reached out to the Federation, then contact was okay or understood the concepts. If we used our culture now under the original series interpretation, the federation could contact or study Earth. We understand space travel, we are actively searching for life in our own solar system and beyond. If the Vulcan's landed today, it would affect our culture regardless of the technology they had, even if they didn't give it to us, we would eventually figure it out just by dealing with them. In TNG time period I think we would actually have to bump into the Enterprise before they would stop and say Hi. Although in TNG Starfleet was shown studying the Mintakans, which was a very primitive culture, and they got caught. That was a violation, that Picard was trying to fix, which is more along the lines of the original series interpretation.

In Pen Pals the PD became an absolute rule, yet in earlier episodes and later ones as previously mentioned, they argued laws should not be absolute. So I don't know how Picard works that out, given his absolute interpretation of the Prime Directive in Pen Pals, and the mis-interpretation of it in I Borg. When Picard had the chance to wipe out the Borg, he should taken the shot and infected them with the virus that Data and Geordi created. Kind of explains why Enterprise was ferrying diplomats during the Dominion War instead of being on the front lines, because Picard couldn't be counted on to act. He wasn't really trusted after Wolf 359 for a long time.

-Chris

20. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Okay, I'm going with this: April found Botany Bay. Harrison was on the ship, and somehow wound up serving in Star Fleet intelligence a few years later. He gets mad at Star Fleet for not supporting April, and starts blowing things up.