Could a Lost Era set between 2161 and 2265 work?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cardassian first contact is established as occurring in the 2320s in Titan: Taking Wing.

And it's entirely possible that the Federation could have been importing Cardassian products through intermediaries without having established formal contact with the Union. Europeans were wearing Chinese silk long before they had emissaries in Beijing.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd really like to see what Shran would have done upon joining the crew of NX-01 (which is another one of those ideas). What position would he fill? My guess is that he'd lead the MACOs, because he's a qualified ground soldier as well as starship commander. And there apparently were no MACO officers on the ship other than Hayes - which is odd, as I would have thought that Hayes, being a Major, would have had a Lieutenant serving as his second in command, but whatever - so Shran would be the perfect choice to lead them.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ask a Trekkie when first contact with the Borg, the Ferengi or even the Vulcans were and you'll get a few different responses for each one.

Personally, I think the 2320's for Cardassian first contact is a missed oppertunity to tell stories of them tangling with Kirk and co.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that.

Well, they did "tangle" with Spock and McCoy in Wildstorm's Enter the Wolves graphic novel. But I think it's best to leave the Cardassians in the 24th century instead of homogenizing Trek too much.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

2320s works fine for first cotact with the Cardassians.

And Uhura didn't say Cardassian in Trek XI. She said Kardashian.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I do know how terrible that joke is.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

^ You're not alone...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24_EHZTUOR0[/yt]

8. The Wormhole

Well, that was painful to watch. Although, the guy with a Chakotay tattoo at the end was rather amusing. "Akoochi-moya bitches."

I'm sure I spelled that wrong.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know when the Federation made first contact with the Betazoids? It must have been sometime pre-TOS if McCoy knew Emony(?) when he was in Medical School.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Emony was a Trill (Dax's third host), not a Betazoid. ;)

11. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

If anything, then, the drink should've been a Moonrise. ;)

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ And Uhura would have to say "Bottoms up!" before drinking it.

13. Christopher

No. The abandoned opening sequence from The Undiscovered Country would've had Kirk warning Chekov against playing chess (poker?) against a Betazoid, which would've pegged it before 2293 (and that scene is included in The Fearful Summons), but canonically there's no evidence locking it down.

As for Trek Lit evidence, the earliest appearance of a Betazoid interacting with the Federation seems to be 2316 according to Well of Souls -- the year when Rachel Garrett met her Betazoid future husband. So it must've been before then.

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

there's a Betazoid among the Federation ship crew in an episode of Battlecruiser Vengeance in GKN: Enemy Territory; which series dates from the 23rd century.

the Betazoid is one of a number of alien crew on the vessel, with all black eyes, a mistake the viewer acknowledges along with the depiction of a Trill with an all-spotty face, a more pig-like Tellarite and others.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry about that, I apparently combined two questions into one there. I meant to ask about the Trill and Betazoids.:brickwall:

16. Christopher

We know Tobin Dax spent some time on Vulcan, which suggests a first Trill contact sometime in the late 22nd century or earlier. Star Charts interprets the "Trillius Prime" visited by Travis Mayweather's ship sometime before ENT as the Trill homeworld. The Lives of Dax has a Trill/Vulcan first contact taking place in 2075, although it includes a young T'Pau among the Vulcans involved, contradicting ENT, which gave T'Pau's birth year as 2122. (However, this is easily reconciled by assuming there was more than one person named T'Pau.)

17. The Wormhole

There's a Betazoid character in Cast No Shadow, and that takes place in 2300.

18. Christopher

^Oh, that's right. I've become too dependent on Memory Alpha and Beta to do my remembering for me, and I guess Cast No Shadow is too recent for Beta to be fully updated yet.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could T'Pau have been speaking of nebulous Vulcan years in Enterprise?

20. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

For whatever it's worth, Geoff Mandel's Star Trek Star Charts lists Betazed as being admitted to the UFP in 2273.