Copper

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Alidar Jarok, Aug 22, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, Annie's a little psychopath, isn't she? It's hard to say how much is due to her crappy life and how much of her crappy life is due to her being nuts

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I was expecting her to "replace" his daughter, but that sure as shit ain't happening.

Very good episode. I felt it hit all the right notes. I liked the story and I felt the character moments worked well too.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Finally got around to watching this one. HOLY cow; Annie is one little psycho. I see by next week's preview that some decisions will have to be made about what to do about her.

I liked the "interrogation" of the idiot brother-in-law and I liked that the partner (Francis?) finally spoke up about Corcoran's hanging on to the past. One question about Francis: is his one eye gray/white because of damage or is it just a different color? I can't really get a good look. In some shots, it looks like both eyes are blue and in others, you see one eye is white-ish.

4. the G-man

I never noticed it but then I have 10 year old tv from Wal Mart

5. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, my TV isn't big enough for that. It's also possible it's the actor so I wouldn't want to speculate too much on it until we find out for sure it's part of the show.

ETA: A quick google search and they appear to be the same color. I think it's just the way his eyes catch the lighting.

On an unrelated note, something I didn't realize until this episode. Eva Heissen, the person in charge of the brothel, said she was an immigrant. I hadn't really noticed an accent, but I looked up the actress. She's Franka Potente, who is German and was in Run, Lola Run and the girl in the Bourne Identity. I'm surprised they're not playing up her German-ness more.

6. the G-man

You know, until you mentioned it, something about Eva's accent bugged me but I couldn't put my finger on it. But that's it: she's a German actress, playing a German immigrant, and she barely has a German accent.

7. auntiehill

No, it's not the actor. I looked him up on IMDB and he has two very dark blue eyes. I think the white eye is supposed to be part of the "tough" look of the character. *shrug*

Yeah, until she mentioned it at the ball, I didn't know the character was supposed to be German. She could definitely play up the accent more.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still watching, but the one thing that really bugs me is the little girl. Her character's written very awkwardly, and I'm not really certain where they're going with it, but she strikes me as a rather unnecessary character. She's very distracting and not in a good way. I thought for sure he'd end up adopting her, but I guess that's not the case. I kind of wish they'd stop making her so creepy, because otherwise it's a good show.

9. the G-man

I think the point with Annie is that she symbolizes Corky's inability to let go of the past. He is obsessed with saving her because he couldn't save his daughter and as a result can't see just how malevolent Annie is.

I also think there's the fact that Annie is-for all intents and purposes-a loaded gun. Annie knows how Waterford really died (she and Corky murdered him) and one of these days Annie just may decide that's a secret worth taking down Corky with.

In a way, to draw a comparison to 'the Shield,' Annie is Terry Crowley.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think I can see that. I just wish her character weren't so awkwardly written. She's disturbing. I get what she was, but the writers keep on going down that road.

11. the G-man

She's intended to be disturbing. The writers keep going down that road because it makes sense for an 11 year old murdering hooker to be disturbing.

If anything, they've left a few points hanging, such as: just how culpable was Annie really in the death of her sister? We really only have her version of how her virginal sister ended up in a whorehouse, being served up to a pedophile in her place and it seemed to be missing some key details how that could've happened.

12. Alidar Jarok

Wow, as much as I was complaining about Annie, I didn't expect that :eek:

Side plot aside (which looks to be bigger next week), the main plot was fun little transferred intent story. The boxing story was cool too (Robert Morehouse might be my favorite character). But, yeah, it's the two minutes Annie was taken away that really stood out.

13. the G-man

Considering that children were just chattel back then, Annie is probably lucky it took that long for her to be 'dealt with.'

Wish I could feel sorry for her (and i like to think i would if this were real life), but considering she's practically the show's 'big bad,' I can't.

14. auntiehill

Damn, that was harsh. Just finished watching it. I liked Robert's way of handling the fight and liked the odd justice of the "murder." But, like Alidar Jarok said, it's that two minutes of her being taken away by her sicko stepdad that really stick with you.

15. Alidar Jarok

While I don't like the character, I don't particularly want her fate to end up being raped by someone pretending to be her father. I'd much prefer her to fade into the background rather than end with a bang.

16. the G-man

No pun intended, I hope

17. the G-man

The show hits Blu-ray on October 30. That's pretty fast for a show that's just ending its season.

18. auntiehill

That might be worth getting, if it has a lot of cool extras.

eta: finally got around to watching last Sunday's episode. HOLY COW, Maguire is a good-looking lad. YOWZA.

I loved the line "Hey, this is a brothel. People are trying to concentrate!"

So...it's over between Corky and Mrs. Haverford. Ah well. I think Robert is a better fit for her, anyway. And what exactly is that "Greek fire" stuff? Gasoline and sulfur? Or some phosphorus combination? I know nearly nothing about chemistry.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  19. the G-man

Wow. Didn't expect that reveal about Corky's wife.

20. auntiehill

Darn it. I still have yet to watch this. Must get around to it soon; I love this show.