Continuum (US) Season 1 Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tom, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I long lost interest by then but now I want to watch the last season of Andromeda.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually would like to hear this. Can you put it in spoilercode?

4. jayceee

Matt Kellog's grandmother is shot dead, but Matt Kellog doesn't go out of existence.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Second episode was pretty good.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

About that spoiler:

Did they wonder WHY he didn't disappear? Did they talk about it at all?

This show is due out on DVD and Blu Ray on March 26, BTW. ;)

7. jayceee

Not really. Young Alec mentions some possibilities, but nothing conclusive.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I suppose the 'target' could just be the wrong one. That's what the Wiki article implies, anyway.

Also, iTunes has this show on a season pass...

9. jayceee

I'll probably wait until the bluray set tumbles to less than $20.

Not exactly the most enticing buy, after seeing every episode more than five times already.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He said that it was either a new timeline or that she wasn't his (grand?)mother because there could have been some adoption shuffle he wasn't aware of... And if that was the mother of his father, then that opens up a serious can of worms that his mother was a hoochie girl.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot to say in my other post that I'm glad they already dealt with the fact that the name she gave in the pilot belonged to somebody else who is alive and well.

12. Guy Gardener

The name she adopted was from a person on a news report in the background during the pilot.

13. jayceee

(Not quite sure what to make of this).

The ratings for the first Continuum episode on Syfy were quite low.

According to futon critic, it had an overall rating of 0.2 for Monday January 14, 2013 evening. Approximately 0.903 million viewers overall, and 0.247 million viewers in the 18-49 age demographic.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratin...nt-among-viewers-demos-576312/cable_20130114/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...n-mom-ii-love-hip-hop-pawn-stars-more/165331/

In contrast for comparison, wwe raw wrestling had ratings of 1.6 and 1.7 for Monday January 14, 2013. Over 4.4 million viewers overall, and over 2 million viewers in the 18-49 age demographic.

An episode of Lost Girl on Monday January 14, 2013 had slightly better ratings than Continuum. About 1.186 million viewers overall, and around 0.573 million viewers in the 18-49 age demographic. A rating of 0.5.

If ratings for subsequent episodes of Continuum start to tumble significantly, then one has to ask whether it will be renewed for a third season. (Continuum has already been renewed for a 13-episode season 2 in Canada).

14. Guy Gardener

If they want better ratings then they shouldn't let two other countries download the entire season onto the internet before releasing it in America.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Frankly I'd rather just watch Kiera.:techman: :adore:

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But it's a Canadian show, so surely the key rating for a third season will be the Canadian rating figure.

17. Guy Gardener

If their major export market dries up they're fucked. Those profits are factored into thier business model and if they can't sell themselves to American audiences they they'll try to invent one that will, and swap that noob out with Continuum.

18. jayceee

There's two recent instances I can think of offhand, where a Canadian produced show was dropped by its American network, but continued being produced by its Canadian network.

- "Saving Hope" was dropped by NBC at the end of season 1, but CTV renewed it for a second season. ("Saving Hope" features Michael Shanks, who previously played Daniel Jackson for ten seasons of Stargate SG-1).

- "Flashpoint" was dropped by CBS in the middle of season 4, but CTV continued producing it for the rest of season 4 and a season 5. (Season 5 recently ended last month, with the producers calling it quits and ending the series).

Continuum appears to be produced partly by Shaw Media, which just happens to be the same company that owns the Showcase cable channel in Canada.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/companycredits
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaw_Media

In the end, Shaw Media will have the final say on whether to axe the show.

How much longer Shaw is willing to produce Continuum on its own without an American network, will probably be dependent on season 2 ratings and Continuum's producers deciding on how long they want to prolong the storyline. If the Canadian ratings for season 2 can maintain anything close to the season 1 Canadian ratings, then most likely there will be a season 3, even if Syfy drops the show. Renewal is much less certain if the Canadian ratings of season 2 are significantly less stellar than season 1.

After the Continuum show ends, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up living on as repeated reruns on Showcase, even with significantly less than 100 episodes. (Presently, Showcase reruns some Canadian produced sci-fi/action shows almost every day like Relic Hunter, the late 1990's Outer Limits, and Earth: Final Conflict).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  19. Guy Gardener

Relic Hunter is scifi?

20. jayceee

More like action.