Concerning Book Titles

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Rush Limborg, Sep 19, 2008.

1. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

IIRC, I was trying to make it stand out from a more bland title like Quandary. Because, really, Quandary on its own is a brutally boring title. Bo-better than Ambien for sleeping-ring. There's no pop to it. So it's a dilemma in a story. Big frigging whoop. There's always a dilemma in a story. Problem to solve, thing to do, it's like calling a story Story. Hello, Author Obvious.....

'Q'uandary however, just brought something different by setting the Q off. Which kind of illustrated the story, too. :)

It's amazing what a bit of punctuation in the right place can do to make a godawful title fit so much better.

Nine times out of ten, I don't have to do that much thinking on titles. So far, I've been very lucky in that regard. *knock wood*

2. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

I agree. It's a very cool "looking" title, too. Plays with the eye for a second.

--Ted

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

In addition to Terri's answer, all of which is true, there's also the fact that "Q-uandary" looks like a typo. :lol:

And it's single quotes because it goes inside a short story title, which is in double quotes. If the title was being put in a British magazine that italicizes short-story titles (as some do), it would be properly rendered as "Q"uandary.

This has been another *THUD* useless fact....

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

What's next? The "Wheel of Morality"? ;)

5. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I LOVED that show!! I'd always rush home from school to watch it...

... and I was the TEACHER!!

6. Ríu ríu chíu

Ríu ríu chíu Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    Where was (or, if applicable, will be) this story?

7. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Whoops, sorry. That's the title for my Klingon "wrath" story in Seven Deadly Sins, on sale in trade paperback at finer bookstores everywhere a year from now.

So I should probably write the fershlugginer thing at some point.............

8. Ríu ríu chíu

Ríu ríu chíu Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    ^ 'Sokay. I just realized how totally nonsensical my last post was. :lol:

9. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Thanks. One thing I always try to do is find a title that fits thematically, and also jumps off the page a bit in the TOC if it's in an anthology. Sometimes I get titles that I have to find stories for later on. Good Queen, Bad Queen, I Queen, You Queen, in the Doctor Who anthology was one where the title hit me first, I filed it away, and found a story that fit it later. My first original work, which looks to be coming out next year, is called Love and Other Excuses.

I don't claim to be an expert on titles, I'm only saying what works for me. Fit the format, fit the story, and draw attention to itself on the cover/TOC. Those are basically my three rules. 8)

Yes, I have a story idea file, as well as a title idea file, why do you ask? :cool: