Comic Book, TV, Movie Podcasts?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Mr Light, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just recently got into the world of podcasts thanks to Kevin Smith's Smodcast, and I'm looking for reccomendations on podcasts about comic books, tv, and movies. Particularly comic books!

I did just start with the Force.net's podcast since they announced the Disney buy. I can't quite tell if I like it or not, it's like a typical radio show but they seem to be really brown-nosing for George Lucas. Don't get me wrong I actually like the Prequels, but it seems like they're not allowed to say anything negative about the franchise...

I also see that Kevin Smith has expanded into a franchise of his own with about 30 different podcasts on his website :eek: Outside of the primary Smodcast I've only listened to Fatman on Batman, which is awesome because it's Kevin Smith talking to people about Batman cartoons, movies, and comics! What about the rest, though? Any good?

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The two comic related podcasts I listen to are:

IFanboy - Three life long fans rate and review the comics for the week.

11 O'Clock Comics - A much looser show. Four fans talk comics in general. Topics vary wildly, from recent books, to much older stuff. One segment might be on Marvel NOW, the next might be a discussion on EC horrror comics of the 50's.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

the Pick of the Week podcast only lists a single comic, but they talk about all the comics that week...?

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They take turns picking a "Best of the week," but they discuss the books from the week they've read, then with listener e-mails/voicemails, they address other books and usually a question or two.

If you're using iTunes, if you click on "Show Description" (it's a right click in Windows), they have show notes, listing all of the comics they discuss and the times they discuss them, so you can skip around if you only want to hear certain books being discussed/reviewed.

On the iFanboy podcast site they have links to their video podcasts (where they focus on a single topic, usually a creator or run they love) as well as the "Don't Miss" podcast, where they interview a creator about an upcoming book that they think will be really good.

5. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

6. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Mission Log: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast
    http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/

Endorsed by Rod Roddenberry, two guys go through the series in chronological order and discuss the themes and ideas in the episode. It's pretty good.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

The thing is they sort of have to if they want certain guests. They are more pro-establishment. As afar as SWpodcasts go...

I would highly recommand the Starwarsreport done by Nathan P. Butler who really knows his stuff:

http://www.starwarsreport.com/

If you want a fun and naughty Trek podcast done by guys who kinda know their stuff but they arenot into the books as far as i know:

http://www.dorktrek.com/

Literary treks is a new podcast about Treklit:

http://trek.fm/literary-treks/

The Black Tribbles is a great podcast about black nerds and they talk about a lot of nerdy things:

http://blacktribbles.podomatic.com/

9. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I don't listen to comic podcasts but i can recommend one for tv, I'm a big fan of "Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan" with Ryan McGee and Maureen Ryan, it helps that most of the time they like the same shows I do.
    I listen to them on itunes, they started a new feed a few months ago and I have no idea where to find the older podcasts.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The Drunk Tank. Or as it's now known, The Rooster Teeth Podcast. I started out on Smith's SModcast as well, and while SMod sort of turned into "Smith gets stoned and laughs at his own jokes" all the time, The RT Podcast has always been hilarious.

I guess it helps if your a fan of Red Vs Blue/Achievement Hunter as well, but really the humor ranges from Game/TV/Movie releases to....Gavin's genitalia. But still, its a hilarious listen (or watch, as its now a live video podcast, although you need to subscribe to Roosterteeth as a sponsor to see it "live", otherwise it's released a week later on youtube).

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you like horror movies and TV, Horror Etc. is great.

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Filmspotting has long been my favorite podcast. There's also a "spin-off" called Filmspotting: Streaming Video Unit that focuses on, as the name suggests, streaming media (VOD, iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, etc.).

If you're interested in movie and television-related interviews (directors, writers, etc.), I have a couple suggestions: KCRW's The Treatment, hosted by film critic Elvis Mitchell; and The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith. The Nerdist Writers Panel also interviews various types of writers - most notably those working in television, but also in movies and comic books. Nerdist is a large podcast network, so I'd recommend taking a look at some of their other offerings as well.

On the television-specific front, I'd second Takeru's recommendation for Talking TV with Ryan Ryan. I also occasionally enjoy listening to Firewall & Iceberg, hosted by critics Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg.

For comics, one of my friends recommends 11 O'Clock Comics (thus seconding Mike Farley). Said friend is a host on Distinguished Comic Book Podcast.

Speaking of friends with podcasts...

You can also find more recommendations in this Misc. thread and in this old TVM thread.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

House to astonish and word balloon for comics.

14. CaptMurdock

CaptMurdock Commodore Commodore

The future birthplace of Capt. Christopher Pike
    If you're a Kevin Smith fan, check out Hollywood Babble-On, with Kevin and Ralph Garman, "The Man of at least a Dozen Voices." If you can, find the shows where they do a "dramatic" reading of Kevin's Batman miniseries, "Cacaphony." Now that's entertainment.

15. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have listened to the forcecast for probably 4 years. Of the two, Jason is much more critical on star wars. But Jimmy can come across as the ultimate fanboy at times. They tend to have alot of guests on, mostly from the Clone Wars series.
    Another podcast i enjoy is www.starwarsbookreport.com. They mostly focus on the star wars fiction. I also enjoy www.geekoutonline.com with Steve Glosson. That guy is extremely entertaining. He talks everything from comics, to movies and everything between.

16. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

thanks for the new suggestions.

17. LightningPRS

LightningPRS Lieutenant Red Shirt

If you are a Superman fan, there is a whole segment of podcasts under the "Superman Podcast Network" banner. For fans of the John Byrne/Post-Crisis Superman, "From Crisis to Crisis: A Superman Podcast" details the version of Superman from "Man of Steel" mini-series to just before "Infinite Crisis." Great show, and they just finished covering the "Death and Return of Superman" saga about a month ago. Also, for fans of the New 52, "The New 52 Adventures of Superman" has been covering almost all appearances of the New 52 Superman, just recently catching up to last months comics.

Michael Bailey (co-host of From Crisis to Crisis) has a 125+episode podcast "Views from the Longbox" which covers all aspects of comics: DC, Marvel, the films, cartoons, etc. Great, thou sporadic, show. Also, "Hey Kids, Comics" is a good one too from Andrew and Micheal Leyland, a father and son show, covering all aspects of comics as well. A listen to any of these will lead you to plenty more, as these mentioned are affiliated with one another and air promos for each other during the shows. with a host more that I have

18. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The best movie podcast is Filmspotting. SlashFilm's podcast is great too (especially the Armond White episodes).

TV there's TV times Three, Firewall and Iceberg, and Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan.

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam