Cobra Commander revealed (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Exactly my point, with the right minimal budget we could've had a GREAT Masked Cobra Commander. What we are about to get is the director taking creative license waaaay too far.

It ruins the core source material, visually. Not to mention now anyone who sees what this fan could do...show how the movie concept of CC is just pathetic.

As well as the KKK hood excuse, I mean Jeez god forbid that he draw any type of villainous connection with his hood. Cobra was the worse of Terrorist organizations and Nazi/Facism...and he was worried about a KKK connection??

I mean ..huh???

Vons

2. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

I think that sums it up nicely MeanJoePhaser; though I would add the closest similarities with the Comic and Cartoon CC was that they both suffered from extreme paranoia. the cartoons version was of course over the top and usually caused his schemes to fall apart, but in a few cases the comic versions paranoia actually served him well (e.g. the Fred series of Seigee's).

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, so I guess what i'm trying to say is that comic CC isn't the moustache twirling, tie-the-damsel-to-the-track type villain that cartoon CC is by design. In answer to Unicron's question, comic CC did show more depth of character, especially where Billy was concerned, as in after the assassination attempt MJP mentioned, when CC had to be goaded into using the brain-wave scanner on him, or after he escaped from the Pit, when he found out Billy was in the hospital. When writing the comic, Larry Hama tried to make all the characters three dimensional.

4. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

I don't feel like digging through my comics to find that issue but I think when CC decided to use the Brain wave scanner on Billy his concern was that it might potentially reveal vital information about Cobra and CC's former life and identity, not so much concerned about the harm it may cause his son (not to say he wasn't concerned). but I may be misremembering that. MeanJoePaser this is were your knowledge can help out lol.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

It could be a little of both. He only expressed that concern about information after Billy was strapped in. If that were his main concern, I would think that he would have argued that at the outset, and used it as an excuse to not put him on at all.

But I could be wrong. have been before...

6. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

Oh I love it. Neither of us are interested in arguing our points. Particularly something that may or may not occurred in a couple of panels in a comic published about 25 years ago. We probably should be careful or someone may revoke our geek license.

7. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I have that comic issue in question. Zartan suggests using the brainwave scanner (which he heard about from the criminal underground), and someone (probably the Baroness) says it may harm the Commander's son. It's Cobra Commander himself who says that person in question being his son is irrelevant. Cobra Commander stops the process when Billy blocks out the identities of his handlers (Baroness and Bludd) and focuses on older memories of his the origins of Cobra.

This leads to Storm Shadow quitting Cobra, because he admires Billy's character for refusing to betray the plotters who abandoned him. He rescues Billy and they flee Springfield. (I don't recall the assassination attempt being mentioned again, though Bludd seems to disappear from the comic for a few years.)

The cartoon C.C. had some good moments, but like the show itself, was inconsistently written. I like the Cobra T.V. episode (which had some great satire) where Cobra Commander changes the ending of KING KONG, so that the ape destroys the planes and wins. Instead of "Beauty killed the beast" the guy says "You can never win if your enemy is bigger and stronger than you!"

To the cartoon producers' credits, in the second season they tried to make the show less GI JOE ALWAYS WINS...they had the USS Flagg carrier sunk (later raised, though) and had some not so happy endings, like meeting war orphaned "dust children" in southeast asia. But you know there was a lot of restrictions on animation in the day. GI JOE was considered violent at the time. On older network shows (GI JOE was syndicated), like the Super Friends, the heroes were not allowed to punch anyone!

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Of the toon, I think "Sink the Montana" is still my favorite episode. Just for the fact that, for a kid's show, it's a pretty serious episode. The whole Navy admiral that gives up everything to save his old ship angle.]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Maybe you could clear this up for me: was CC at that point the "impostor" CC (a "Fred" who had shot the real CC way back when Billy was in a coma and CC was talking about throwing in the towel), or the real one post his "resurrection"?

10. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

The G1 Transformers series had an unexpectedly serious ep too. It was the ep where Beachcomber found a pool of some sort of "supermetal" that when a TF was coated in it made them invulnerable (for a time).

Cue the inevitable Autobot/Decepticon brawl, and in the aftermath while all the other Autobots are celebrating, 'Comber is looking around the area (formerly a beautiful little hidden glade) all torn up and blasted to shreds and says "Yeah...we won..."

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Yeah, I tend to think that the G1 cartoon was capable of a little more depth than G.I. Joe and some other contemporaries were, even while still being a cartoon. Perhaps one issue with Toon CC is that he's essentially the same as Starscream, only Starscream's arrogance and constant failures worked better because they were usually against Megatron.

12. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

well, TF could get away with more cause it was robots fighting robots I think

13. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

No. Fred VII didn't assume the guise of CC until issue 61 while Billy's Assassination attempt occurred in issue 33 (I think). The Real CC resurfaced sometime later (issue 97 possibly).