CinemaSins Critiques Star Trek: TMP

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Joel_Kirk, May 24, 2016.

1. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    This was just posted today, with that familiar poster being used for the Star Trek Beyond poster.

Whether or not you agree with the site, it's still fun. (And I agree with pretty much all of the 'sins' of the movie).

2. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CinemaSins suck.

Galileo7 likes this.
  3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Sometimes I think they nitpick too much, and there have been times when they've been flat-out wrong with what they categorize as a "sin," but in general I think their stuff is funny and on-point. The only bad thing about their videos is that they can get long-winded, which is why I prefer Honest Trailers in comparison.

somebuddyX, PhotoBoy and Galileo7 like this.
  4. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not that they're all that "wrong" per se (except they are), it's just that their humour consists of "lel so randum XD" gags and, yes, extreme nitpicking, most likely just to pad time onto their videos.

I never ever learn anything new from their videos, the newer ones at least, they just word vomit the same common complaints over and over again and they get millions of views for it every time.

I couldn't get more than a few minutes in before turning it off. Although, the narrator saying the Millennium Falcon, a literal "piece of junk", is better than the refit Enterprise may have been a contributing factor in that :p

I don't know, maybe I just take it too seriously...

Shaka Zulu, PhotoBoy and Galileo7 like this.
  5. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno. If they had felt the need to 'upgrade' the Falcon from her iconic look to be bigger and cooler in the Force Awakens, I may have been less charitable about it. Bigger and flashier is not always necessary or better. I really don't count the nuEnterprise as a plus. that said, I've always loved the TMP Enterprise more than the TOS version, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite! ;-P

6. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

CinemaSins is the art of the killjoy. They want to attack sacred cows in order to create controversy because controversy = engagement. Having people go in and defend the film they are bashing is just as good as having haters bobblehead.

Everyone knows TMP is a flawed film. However, it's also a very ambitious one that a lot of people busted their ass to put together. It has plenty of redeeming qualities, but you'd never know it the way CinemaSins tears it (and every film it covers) apart. There's really no respect for the blood sweat and tears that go into filmmaking and that's the real sin.

Shaka Zulu and Leto_II like this.
  7. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Well, a lot of what they're saying is stuff I've always hated about the film. It's too damn long. My friend and I have made fun of the "BRRRRRRRRZZZZWWWW" sound effects for years now (as well as the Enterprise/shuttlecraft sequence as a euphemism for sex). The warp wormhole sequence is laughably bad. Decker is an idiot. Kirk is a dick. Is Starfleet REALLY so small that the Enterprise, orbiting Earth, is the closest starship to intercept the threat? And yes, they wanted to show off all those matte paintings and their special FX they were proud of, but it gets gratuitous after awhile.

I don't think it's unfair to attack these aspects for the sake of comedy. I do disagree with CinemaSins saying the film is "bad" though, because that isn't fair. As you rightly say, it's very ambitious and a lot of people worked hard to get it out the door under a deadline. They tried to make it true to the spirit of the more "cerebral" aspects/ideas of TOS, and in that sense it is arguably the best of the TOS movies.

But CinemaSins, like Honest Trailers, is made by people who love movies. No movie is perfect. There are NO sacred cows...that's the point. If you look close enough, you can find flaws even in things you love. I'm sure they could sin the heck out of the Godfather if they wanted. It's no different than a roast, really. You just have to have a sense of humor. Otherwise you can see it as baiting or disrespectful.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  8. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It's not so much that they love movies or being engrossed by them. They love talking about movies. Sort of like Kevin Smith. Of course, Kevin Smith is on the opposite end of the spectrum, usually more fanboy than hater, like his softball on Batman v. Superman.

9. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

You're not making fun of the blaster beam, are you?

Neil

10. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

:)Spockboy

Avro Arrow and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  11. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny stuff!

12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Nice! It's about time Cinema Sins showed the classic movies some love. Hopefully they'll do them all for the anniversary year!

13. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

I like CinemaSins, I like it even better when it's a movie a I know, just fun stuff.

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They're lazily done and award "sins" for things which aren't actually mistakes; they just weren't paying attention.

15. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Being discussed here.

[​IMG]

Neil

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Had to agree with that they say about shots of the Enterprise and V'Ger, there really was far too much time wasted on those scenes that added nothing to the plot or pacing.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  17. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

CinemaSins isn't meant to be taken seriously, and they will often sin contradictory things in the same video. It's all tongue in cheek. I quite enjoyed the TMP one if only because I hadn't noticed how much bones keeps popping up for no reason. And it's absolutely right about the great long scenes of basically nothing happened intercut with identical reaction shots.

18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Mods, any chance we could just merge the threads?

19. The Toddler

The Toddler Lieutenant Red Shirt

They're usually enjoyable, as is this one. But they often add to the sin tally for every comment they make, whether or not it's an actual sin, like the sin they give for TNG stealing TMP's opening theme, or saying "Bones would be amazing at CinemaSins."

20. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man, that voice is annoying. I tried to watch twice but it is so annoying.