Changes To The Observation Lounge....

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Nero's Shadow, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I've always liked that set but I can't understand why they had to get rid of the history of the enterprises. I thought it was a nice touch and bridged the gap between the TOS ship and the other enterprises. I always loved that you could see the TOS movie Enterprise and even the C and over time we got to see the C and even the Enterpise B in the movie generations.
    [​IMG]

So why change it I'm assuming it was removed at the season 5 I've seen it in season 4 .

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

IIRC, the set was severely altered for STVI:TUC, filmed between TNG's season four and season five. It was the officer's mess set in TUC.

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Correct. The new wall section seen in STVI is what replaces the "ships of the line" display from S5 onwards.

There's also a difference between the obs lounge in Season 1 and the one seen from Season 2 onwards. IIRC, in S1 it was a modified section of the sickbay set, whereas S2 saw them build a dedicated set for the obs lounge that was used for the rest of the series.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forbid they remodel a room on a space hotel over seven years also. ;)

5. Nero's Shadow

Forgot about that didn't they use the engineering set from TNG for Star Trek 6 TUC as well ????

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup, they just coloured all the display panels Movie green/blue.

7. Nero's Shadow

I liked this one more better seen from FC and Nem [​IMG]

8. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Same here. I was never too fond of the first one.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

FC had a very different lineage wall with larger models and the wall took up most of the..., well, wall. We see Picard walk past this larger wall at the beginning of the movie and, most notably, smashing it with a phaser rifle during his "Ahab moment." near the climax.

I'm not too much a fan of that lineage wall in the screen cap because the ships are not in scale with one another (it looks like they simply used the AMT/ERTL model kits available at the time) and also appear in no discernible order.

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

True, but I like both of those better than the original. I prefer the one in FC, but both are an improvement over the first, in my opinion.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Although I've never heard an explanation for this, I've always assumed that the set construction guys (or whatever their title actually is) accidentally damaged that ENTERPRISE model wall beyond repair during the reconstruction and it had to be replaced. It was just that nobody ever commented on it.

Still, if that WAS the case, I was disapointed that they didn't put up a new model wall instead of that "pointy ended" wall they ended up building.

12. RandyS

With the exception of the bridge, the entire ENTERPRISE-D set stood in for the ENTERPRISE-A in TUC.

13. Trekker4747

Actually that's what I had always heard, the lineage wall was damaged during the making of TUC. I think it's more likely they just thought the wood paneling and the crude gold models no longer looked good and went with a new wall that better fit the design themes of the 1990s (which had thankfully chucked out wood paneling) and the tone the series had taken on.

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I'm also sure some people were happy that the conference lounge's sculpture wall was destroyed because they got rid of uncomfortable evidence.

On the top right of the picture (first post) we can clearly see Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C.

As some may remember the official "excuse" for not using Andrew Probert's Enterprise-C design for the VFX model in "Yesterday's Enterprise" was that they couldn't find his original sketches and designs anymore. :rofl:

They could have just gone to the conference lounge studio set and take a fracking look at the Enterprise-C sculpture!

Bob

15. Trekker4747

The excuse I had always heard was that Propert's design was too complicated to create in a limited time and budget that had to work with.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

And wasn't the office of the Federation president the Ten Forward set?

17. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's quite fun to play "spot the TNG set" in STVI. :lol: Some of them are easy (engineering and the transporter room are practically unchanged), others a little tricker (as you say, only one background wall gives away that the President's office is actually Ten Forward).

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me it was the doors that were the giveaway on the office...

19. RandyS

It was indeed.

20. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

"After Probert left the show at the end of the first season, the remaining illustrators weren’t quite sure what the designs that he had prepared were supposed to be for." :rofl:

"They assumed that they were rejected designs for the Enterprise-D although they noticed the similarities with the Excelsior." :rolleyes:

This is one account, I'll try to find the other.

Bob