CBS/Paramount sues to stop Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Richard Baker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, one of the things that tripped up the 1997 book, Sam Ramer's "The Joy of Trek", which didn't seem all that different to many other unofficial, unlicensed, non-fiction Trek guidebooks of the day, was the subtitling on its cover suggesting the book was "all you need to know", or similar, about "Star Trek". It was argued that the book aimed at bringing casual fans and non-fans up to speed, by summarising each Trek series and movie, and supplying backgrounds of major characters, alien races and events in the shows, and essentially eliminating the need for people to watch the actual episodes. It wasn't a supplement, like Bjo Trimble's "Concordance", it was more of a "Star Trek Lite". A joking premise, but ultimately the element that brought it unwanted attention.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    ThankYouGeneR likes this.
  2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Having worked on this kind of thing I don't doubt for a moment that Burnett and others are working continually and hard on it, nor do I have any difficulty understanding that it all takes much longer than they expect.

Michael Hinman likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I understand that making a movie is hard work.

But they've had a warehouse for more than a year and still haven't finished their bridge set. I can understand it taking longer than envisioned, but this is bordering on laughable.

Admiral Cain likes this.
  4. Serveaux

It's really not.

If you follow all the work they're doing - and exclude the carpet, :lol: - it's quite a lot for half a dozen people to handle. Most of them are not being paid 38,000 dollars a year.

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, you have a point there. :lol:

6. Serveaux

If you root around over there a bit you see that in addition to the bridge they have a fairly elaborate set of quarters, some pretty complex Klingon set pieces (to be augmented with green screen; those meshes take time as well) and a huge green screen cyclorama - and stationary lighting grid. All of this is being constructed to hold up to at least 1080p photography.

7. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

8. Albinator

Albinator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nobody is claiming that they're not working at all, but working HARD? Debatable. They've been at this for literally years and have no footage other than a fully green screened scene to show for it (that required none of what you cited).

If they were really working hard, the movie would have been done a year ago or more.

9. Albinator

Let me also point out that the Axanar KS page listed delivery of the downloadable film as coming in July of 2015. A year after the campaign.

Now I know most Kickstarters miss their delivery dates, but we're 8 months later now and the film doesn't have a cast even, and they're spending more time fixing the offices up than working on the movie. Even before the lawsuit was filed they weren't scheduled to begin filming until February.

Meaning even if the lawsuit had never happened, it would be AT LEAST 2017 before they delivered a finished product, THREE YEARS after the Kickstarter campaign. More realistically, based on past behavior, they'd have probably hit more delays and not delivered until close to 2018.

But now we have a lawsuit, and they'll likely NEVER deliver (and they've now lost their director and star, and will likely lose more even if by some miracle they could proceed), but the point here is that if they'd really been working hard as they say, they could have delivered the finished film to backers by mid 2015 like they originally planned.

10. Michael Hinman

Michael Hinman Captain Captain

They lost their director?

11. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

The reality distorsion is strong with this one.

gorn81 and Michael Hinman like this.
  12. Albinator

I presume. A number of pages ago someone posted the director's tweets calling them out for their crazyness, so I can't imagine he's still going to do it.

13. The Hobbit

The Hobbit Ensign Newbie

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, Alec Peters posted a video detailing how they are violating the agreement to cease production of Axanar (storyboarding, etc. IS production activity) that they stipulated to in order to get the filing extension. I'm sure Mr. Peters lawyers and the court will be happy about that. :wtf::rommie:

(I have to wonder what law school grades Mr. Peters received because for a 'lawyer by training' he sure doesn't seem to know what a stipulation agreement implies once you agree to be bound by it. It's serious in that if the Judge wants he could impose financial sanctions against Axanar's lawyers for the failure to effectively control their client - IE stick to their part of the stipulation agreement.)

jespah likes this.
  15. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

At what point will the "true believers" become infuriated?
    IKEA furniture: "because we're cost-conscious!"

Admiral Cain likes this.
  16. BillJ

If you're going to present yourself as a professional production, I think it's fair to judge it as a professional production.

As a professional production, they have failed massively.

17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the following sums up Mr. Peters mindset through all of this (and why he doesn't appear more concerned about the lawsuit or to keep to agreements his lawyers stipulated to):

:hugegrin::nyah:;)

BillJ likes this.
  18. BillJ

I've tried talking to a few of the true believers, they're denser than a neutron star.

Firebird, Amaris and Tommunist like this.
  19. Admiral Cain

Admiral Cain Commander Red Shirt

Make sure to ask Alec if they've fixed the electrical problem \o/.
    It didn't appear anyone was working in the studio proper, and the set was covered. As I've said before, if it were me, I wouldn't spend another dime on building Axanar stuff, just studio build out stuff. And selling the crap out of all the merch laying around before the injunction hits.

20. BillJ

Ares Studios should be turned into a museum. A tribute to Alec Peters incompetence. They can make him the curator and give him a little hut to live in.

Lynsioux and Search4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.