Cavil in "Daybreak"

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Spoilers ahead for "Daybreak"...

It might have been a hoot to see Cavil survive and live out his life on Earth with the rest of the colonials. Imagine that. The main villain of the story, the number one cylon who once commanded a powerful arsenal, the one who wants desperately to be a machine, forced to live as a human without technology, mucking around in the dirt with Baltar and Tigh digging up carrots. What an ending that would have been for the character. I would have liked to have seen that. Unfotunately he had way too much pride to allow that to happen. So maybe he would have killed himself at some point afterall. Still, Cavil on Earth is a pretty funny and interesting "what if?" scenario. What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

He would have killed himself on Earth if it had come to that. As you said, the man had too much pride. But it would have been a fitting punishment.

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

What about all the other Number Ones?

4. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

I thought his actions/fate fit his character perfectly. Dean Stockwell really knows his character in making that change.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I got the impression that there were no other Number Ones. My take is that there were several at one point, but eventually he packed them all into one body.

As for what I said in the initial post... I've been thinking about it and I really do like the idea of Cavil having to spend the rest of his life with the colonials on Earth with no tech. If they wrote it so that he didn't kill himself, that would have been quite a fitting end for the character. I think I would have preferred that to what we got.

An ending like that would work on another level too. Imagine the sight of the human survivors and the one responsible for nearly destroying their race picking carrots together.

6. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

(in Forrest Gump voice) "Me and Cavil was like peas and carrots again..."

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

That or only 1 Cavil survived the destruction of the Resurrection Hub.

8. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it was so much that as that the Cavils, thanks to their belief in their mechanical natures, were the least interested in individualizing themselves, so they all kept "synced up," effectively making all the Number One copies appendages of the exact same man.

Of course, this was an overarching problem with all the male models being relatively undifferentiated. Cavil is the only one where they had to have been sharing memories like it was going out of style, though, since Boomer was able to keep dating Cavil even after the one she was with at the Hub died permanently. Though the Leobans were apparently all obsessed with Starbuck, there was never anything to suggest that they all knew everything that had happened between her and a Leoban like they were there. Looking back on it, he was always rather coy about their history, so it probably actually wasn't the same copy every time.

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Rated Awesome By 9 out of 10 Awesome Experts Moderator

The D'annas seemed to be the same way. Only the Sixes and a few of the Eights seemed to want to be individuals.

10. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

It's ambiguous (maybe "The Plan" will help fix it) but I generally saw that we had two distinct main Threes that we followed. The one who was having dreams and got it on with Baltar was D'anna from the Fleet, and the one who was always hanging around with her on New Caprica and backed her up on the Baseship when she and Baltar went to the Temple ("Adama won't fire over just one ship") was the one from "Downloaded."

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's funny but I thought the journalist Three was completely different from the others.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

He'd probably offed himself, or found a way to sneak on the Centurion run Basestar. Or, taking some of the religous themes to another end: He becomes the "serpent" and through various actions-- sowing seedsof dobut and resentment among the various factions-- ruins the new Human and Cylon paradise.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I thought it was said in an episode that Cavil deactivated all the other Cavils?