"Castle" season 4 begins tonight

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Neroon, Sep 19, 2011.

1. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who is the guy who played the owner/head of the cryogenics company?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

IIRC, that was William Atherton of Ghostbusters fame.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ It was indeed. I thought for sure we would get a Peck joke of somekind from Castle...but maybe too meta. :)

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this weeks episode was okay. I enjoyed the chase sceen with the frozen head.

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I liked the implant/boob joke by Beckett.. shows how far they've come in their relationship. Back in season 1 she wouldn't dream of mentioning anything boob related to Castle :lol:

Very nice case.. something unusual with a tragic ending that sets it apart from the other cases.

Also liked Molly this episode.. growing up is hard to do and there are tough lessons for all of us and now it's Molly's turn. Castle handled it very well showing that despite all his antics and teenage actions he's still mature and an adult when the situation calls for it. It was clear Beckett wouldn't die in the season finale much as it was clear that Molly wouldn't leave the show but nevertheless the writers managed to make it believable and get a good character moment out of it.

As to the Beckett/Castle relationship.. i think the writers (and Marlowe) are really worried to take that final step. They do want to as well as the actors judging from the interviews i saw/read but they are taking it slow. They took a big leap in the season finale and have found a somewhat believable way to prolong the inevitable just a bit more but if by the end of the season nothing major has happened i think they'll tread in very thin ice (and that's not only the shipper in me) because you just can't keep throwing us longing looks and innuendos for multiple seasons without it losing its appeal.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

^You'd think TV writers would have learned such a thing from the zillion other "will they/won't they" shows since Moonlighting, Remington Steele and Cheers.

7. I Grok Spock

Thanks! It was one of those times I just couldn't place the face. :)

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^He was also the douchebag reporter in Die Hard.

I liked the episode but was anyone else slightly annoyed by the unrealistic depiction of the cryonics facility? It wasn't enough to take me out of the show but it was enough that I commented on it to my wife.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that annoyed me too. I muttered to my wife that they don't have windows with blue lights inside. But hey, dramatic license.

10. Savage Dragon

^Yeah, I figured they were really trying to spell it out for those who don't have the first clue what cryonics is. Still, I found it a little difficult to believe that neither Castle nor Becket knew what the place was until it was explained to them.

11. Christopher

^Yeah, it's particularly implausible that a sci-fi geek like Castle would need cryonics explained to him.

12. Savage Dragon

That was my thinking. And Beckett has proven herself to be just a big a geek as Castle is.

13. I Grok Spock

Also, would they be frozen with their eyes open?

The show takes significant narrative and visual creative license: the previously critiqued katana-cleaver bisection, the cryogenics stuff, fooling the voice-activated lock in the L.A. episode from last year, etc. Which is all fine, because it's part of the style of the show.

14. Christopher

^I think it's only been the style of the show for the past two seasons (including the current one). The first two seasons weren't as prone to goofiness. Castle was imaginative and playful with his theories then, but it wasn't until season 3 that he started being written as a credulous man-child who'd spin theories about psychic powers and UFO abductions and the like as if he actually believed them.

15. Admiral_Young

I dunno if I would totally agree with that. Castle seems to have been pretty consistently written through the first three seasons as well as his personality intact. The show has never really taken its self seriously to begin with and has always been tongue in cheek with Castle's theories and the plausibility of the various cases that Castle and Beckett investigate. I mean the show's main arc is the murder of Kate's mom and we've since learned as the show has progressed that it seems to have been a part of a conspiracy.

16. FPAlpha

I don't think Castle believes his whacky theories at all.. he just utters them to annoy the others and have a bit of fun. This is his character but when it comes down to it and it gets serious he adapts and gets a bit more mature (if only for a second).

In this he's written consistently and it's also why i like the character so much.

17. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed.

18. Savage Dragon

Yes, it's like ke knows those kind of theories are expected of him now so he plays along.

19. FPAlpha

Damn.. i just saw one of the best Castle episodes ever! :techman:

Back when i heard they'd revisit the 3XK case i thought it could be a good episode, especially the focus on Ryan who i think is an awesome character played by a very good actor.

Dever really sold the role today.. he was fantastic as the man on edge ready to fall over and go wild. I really felt for him when he learned that his stolen weapon was used to murder someone else and i understood his rage.

The rest of the episode was good to.. i rarely pay much attention to the cases themselves as i'm not that into cop/murder/investigation shows and with Castle i focus on the characters and their interactions but this one had me paying attention all throughout and the ending was very engaging and emotional. Hats off to the cast and the writers.

And it didn't have much of the usual Castle funnies which makes the epsiode even more impressive because much of the appeal of the show lies on Castle and his antics (at least for me).

They've gotten a good mix going right now between funny Castle and some serious drama.. i'd wish they keep this level up.

20. Christopher

Agreed, a very strong episode from the pen of Moira Kirland. As a rule, I'm not fond of the cliche of the cop getting involved in a personal case and letting his emotions drive him forward against all good judgment, advice, and procedure. But it was ameliorated here because Ryan didn't go in guns blazing and wanting to kill someone, but remained focused throughout on seeing justice done, on putting the bad guys in custody rather than in the ground, and his big act of "going rogue" was going to the younger brother and appealing to him on a compassionate level to do the right thing. What drove him wasn't vengeance but an overpowering sense of responsibility.

Anyway, the promo for this one last week was really misleading. It made it look as though Ryan was the suspect in the murder. But that wasn't the direction it went at all. Still, I guess a misleading promo is better than one that gives away most of the actual plot.