Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Assuming Nielsen remembers how to do dramatic roles (Forbidden Planet was a loooooooooong time ago :lol: ), he could work in the role, yeah.

2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that my cue? The 50th anniversary DVD of Forbidden Planet is due out tomorrow, and every TOS fan, at the very least, should see it.

We now return to the scheduled thread, already in progress.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, to be fair, Nielsen did a lot of movies and TV shows between FP and Airplane!, the movie that began his comic career (but cast him due to his skill at ultra-deadpan acting). That was fully 26 years ago, though (good grief, that long?).

4. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How far back is a loooooooooong time ago anyway? Perhaps Nielson will get one of those serious roles on Law & Order like Chevy Chase just had.

5. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

never mind.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Naw, I think he'd be a better Elias Vaughn. (Assuming, of course, that Sean Connery was unavailable. ;) )

As for Captain Gold: Judd Hirsch would be my first choice. After that, maybe Richard Dreyfuss or Alan Arkin.

7. JD

JD Admiral Admiral

I was reading Cold Fusion last night with Leslie Nielson as Gold, and it worked great. :thumbsup:

8. CaptainDonovin

I can't picture Leslie Nielson with a beard. :vulcan:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, but what's that got to do with David Gold? Are you thinking of Elias Vaughn? He's the one with the beard.

10. CaptainDonovin

Babaganoosh mentioned he'd be a better Vaughn three posts up. Unless I read it wrong.

11. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I would put Bruce Boxlitner (sp?) as Eilas Vaughn. I picture Captain Gold as more of a grandfatherly figure.

12. CaptainDonovin

As do I reguarding Gold. I have not read everything from SCE but what I have that was the impression I got.

13. Commander Cavit

Commander Cavit Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as we could get Buck Henry to play his Starfleet superior :D

14. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just recently read DS9's Hollow Men, by Una McCormack, and I think that Willem Dafoe would make a terrific Tomas Roeder...

15. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^
    Not to be a nag, but...Well?? :vulcan:

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't really picture anyone specific in the role, so I have zero problem with Dafoe, but I would also probably accept just about anyone in the part.

17. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Re: Casting the DS9 Relaunch

I'm almost finished with Well of Souls and for some reason, I picture Kate Mulgrew as Rachel Garrett. She just seems a better fit then Tricia O'Neil does. In Yesterday's Enterprise, Garrett didn't seem so Janewayish as she does in Well of Souls.

One other issue I have with Well of Souls[/i[ is that it focused too much away from Captain Garrett and the Enterprise then it should have.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can just see Vaughn saying to Lwaxana (after TAOTI): "We're sorry to bother you at a time like this, Mrs. Troi. We would have come earlier, but your husband wasn't dead then..." :guffaw:

19. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

I haven't read Well of Souls, but that doesn't seem like the fairest of criticisms off the bat. If the novel is only partially about characters from the Enterprise-C, then it is by definition focusing on the ENT crew as much as it should be. Saying that a novel that's only partially about the ENT-C doesn't focus on it as much as it should is a bit like saying that The Art of the Impossible didn't focus on Colonel Worf as much as it should have, when Colonel Worf was, cover aside, not the primary character.

20. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is another one for Christine Vale. How about Victoria Pratt from Day Break? She could perfectly fit that character. Unless maybe Domensci Corsi.