Captain Worf

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Rulius, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like something to tease fans into a nerdgasm.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds a lot like this forthcoming fan film:
    [yt]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfhWr9l1NI[/yt]
    Will Worf be revealed as captain of the crew Admiral Chekov is putting together?

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Way to much Worf already. A project I'd have no interest in if it ever came to fruition.

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Chekov looks good for being 145 years old.

Lame.

6. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A bit ironic that it isn't "your grandfather's Star Trek" and yet it has Chekov, a character from the 1960's and Tuvok, from the 1990's.

7. R. Star

I enjoyed Of Gods and Men, so I'd be willing to give this a look. Really... are you going to demand your money back if it doesn't measure up?

That ship looks almost like a mix between a Bird of Prey and the Defiant... given Dorn's penchant for inserting his character into all things Trek, the Captain Worf thing could happen... guess we'll see.

8. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Alternate universe maybe?

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm all for a Captain Worf series. He was one of the most popular characters of 24th century Trek and perhaps the best bet to base a show around. As much as I like the idea of a Titan series with Riker and Troi, I think Worf was a cooler character than both and his ties to both TNG and DS9 and his character arcs on each, would provide more interesting things to play with. And finally we could get an alien captain headlining a Trek show.

10. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

If its done well i will check it out.

11. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

I'm all for Captain Worf in anything if it means we can forget about Change of Heart.

12. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Worf was one of the richest characters in all of Trek. He was the first Klingon in Starfleet and he has earned his way up the ranks and deserves to be captain. He served under two of the greatest captains of all time (Picard & Sisko - not to mention Riker) and the writers of such a story should have him grow and mature to the point where his style incorporates some traits of each. He should have some of the patience of Picard, the tenacity of Sisko and the unpredictability of Riker, as well as the warrior spirit and deep honor that Worf himself has always possessed. A post-Nemesis series should feature Worf commanding a ship with a crew filled with fresh characters.

13. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Worf and data got short-changed for the most part in TNG's movies. While in the end they got to help save the day, far too often they were used as failed attempts at humor, cheapening both characters, who had been written prior to the films as complex characters with rich histories. Much of that was pissed away in the films.

14. R. Star

Well it was unequivocally stated that because Worf betrayed a mission to save his wife, his career was basically dead and he wouldn't get a command. So this renegade thing might make sense... assuming it all isn't just fan rumor.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you.

I've made this point before on another forum but excuses came about how that was Sisko's opinion, blah blah blah. His career was pretty much over, yet another reason why him becoming Ambassador made sense, but thanks to the continuity destroyer that was NEM we now have the fact he is back in uniform with no excuse.

I also do have to agree there has been far too much Worf on screen. Try someone else. Say maybe Ezri Dax? It's been 13 years since DS9 finished, so set the series in 2388, which would give her a very reasonable amount of time to reach the rank of Captain. Have her on her first command, with a brand new crew, a mission of peaceful exploration, and an eleven year old, half-human daughter to look after.

Just a thought.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Which was an opinion at the time. Given how much time has passed since then and how many times Worf has likely redeemed himself, it's definitely plausible that Worf is a captain by now.

18. DarKush

This sounds on the money to me!

19. DarKush

While I agree with you on Worf, I think Data did get far more screen time. Now we can debate whether his screen time amounted to much character development or not. I think Data was mostly used for comic relief in Generations, which made sense in a way due to his issues with the emotion chip. I thought Data's best outing was First Contact when he was seduced by the Borg Queen. His character regressed in Insurrection, but there was some fumbling attempts at character development in Nemesis, ending with his big sacrifice. So I think Data got a lot more screen time. I think they were trying to make Picard and Data the new Kirk and Spock, with very mixed results.

Worf's best outing was First Contact. He wasn't much of a factor in Generations (except for comic relief) or Nemesis. He also had some comical scenes in Insurrection, along with most of the crew.

As for the Change of Heart rationale for not giving Worf command. I think that's something that could be easily overturned or forgotten. For one, it was Sisko's opinion or recommendation. Picard, arguably, a bigger Starfleet figure might disagree, and I'm guessing that Riker, another notable Starfleet officer would as well. Who's to say that Sisko didn't change his mind-or it could be written to say that he did.

Plus, denying Starfleet's best known Klingon officer the captain's chair wouldn't sit well with the Klingons, especially since Worf is in the House of the Klingon Chancellor.

Beyond that Worf has redeemed himself multiple times, during the Dominion War. Plus he spent time as an ambassador. He's skilled in war, politics, and diplomacy.

It likely wouldn't matter for a TV show, but Trek Lit. has already started eroding the Change of Heart decision, by making Worf a first officer, putting him back on the command track.

As for picking another character like Ezri over Worf. While I get the idea of a fresh breath of air, I just don't think that Ezri was as popular as Worf. I don't think she has the ties to TOS, TNG, and DS9 that Worf had. Heck, even the House of Duras was on ENT, which somewhat ties him to that show too. His character has such a rich history and is a far more compelling character than Ezri. I don't want to knock Ezri, but she didn't get a lot of development since she came on the scene so late. I do think Trek Lit. has done a good job with her as captain. I was skeptical at first, but I think they've pulled it off. However I don't see how you can build a show around her. Worf is a far more recognizable face for the Trek brand.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because they had run out of any original thoughts and had to rehash the same ideas in different settings, which is why we got Duras, the Ferengi and the Borg all making appearances in ENT.