CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

Superhero Hype says they've contacted Marvel and that the rumor about Captain America being put on hold isn't true. Of course it was initially denied when the rumors broke that Spider-Man 4 was being put on hold, and we know how that ended up, so we'll have to see if things stay on track and if they go ahead with a casting announcement for Cap soon.

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that. Their original timeline was to have the two films come out in the same year anyway, so this might be seen as restoring the original plan (which, as with the title, would have allowed the movie to get additional buzz from the association with the latter movie). Besides which, given the advanced state of production, bringing in another director at this point wouldn't greatly affect the production timetable (it might just enough to necessitate moving it into the next summer, but that's a marketing issue, it wouldn't actually take a whole extra year to make it).

3. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I just saw the same story over at SuperHeroHype and was going to post this to the thread as well.

Got to say he might be a good choice. I wasn't for or against him like some of the others in that list of possibles posted a few weeks back.

Wish I were a fly on the wall for those screen tests and read throughs.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Really? Jim Halpert as friggin' Captain America?

Nah. I don't buy it.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Not having watched The Office, I don't have any real preconceptions about the actor, though he doesn't fit my exact image of Steve from the photos.

But there must be a reason why they think he can do it, so we'll wait and see; nobody thought Michael Keaton could be Batman.

7. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I'll see the movie. I'll even give the production team the benefit of the doubt that they see something in John Krasinski that I don't. But for now, I am still very WTF?!?!?!?!?!!? over the idea of Jim Halpert as Cap.

8. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

Although I've only seen a couple of episodes of The Office, Krasinski seems to have acting chops. I've always heard that it's easier to play drama then comedy so I say what the hell.

9. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope the rumors that Iron Man is going to lead the Avengers in the movie are false. I know that RDJ is the golden boy (red and golden boy?) of the moment, but c'mon. Can you see him cracking wise and ordering a thunder god around? Please. You need a Captain America to do that. And speaking as a progressive's progressive, I hope Cap is portrayed as an unapologetic American. And I'll leave it at that.

10. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The article says Krasinski is testing with various actresses, one of whom would be the female lead. That's good to know, given that there really aren't any well-known female characters in the world of Captain America.

Sure, serious fans are familiar with Sharon Carter. But no one else will know who she is. Sharon was never as well known as any of the women in the lives of Batman, Superman or Spider-Man, just to name a few.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  11. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, but they could do Peggy or Bernie Rosenthal. Peggy was Cap's girlfriend in the 40s, then her daughter became Cap's girlfriend in the 80s/90s. Or... they could bring in Diamondback who was his 90s-00's on and off girlfriend. OR... its someone playing Steve's MOM.

I'm kinda curious to see if they'll dye his hair blonde or if they'll just give him a sorta 'dirty blonde' instead. But yeah I could see him as Cap I guess... hopefully he'll bulk up for the role.

12. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I can't wait for the scene in the Avengers when Cap molds Jello around Thor's hammer!

13. Nick Ryder

"What is mine hammer doing encased in thine confectionary jello? How did ye even lift mine hammer anyhoo? Ye must be worthy... but.. why did thee do it to Mjonir? What hath Mjonir ever done to thine?"

14. Nick Ryder

I'm still thinking that Cap needs a Bucky. I really hope they cast a Bucky. Then we get a badass Winter Soldier movie!

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow! :eek: I'll be very interested to see how this works out. It's a gamble, but it might pay off.

I've noticed that, too. Comic actors often seem to be good dramatic actors as well.

I am very curious what is prompting the selection of such a nontraditional actor for this role, when the other actors in contention were pretty much hewing to type.

Oops, contrary rumors pop up!

Now Chris Evans has joined the hunt?

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Krasinski won't be Captain America.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Human Torch and Caps? There's got to be a rule where you can only play one comicbook hero

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

tell that to Ryan (Hannibal King, Deadpool, Green Lantern) Reynolds and Scarlett (in The Spirit, Black Widow) Johannssen and Eva (in the Spirit and Ghost Rider) Mendez.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Don't forget Buster Crabbe (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers) and Halle Berry (Catwoman, Storm).

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Vice Admiral Admiral