Captain America movie rumor. And the role has been offered to...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Sep 8, 2008.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Will Smith is a good actor but he's not Cap. Not to mention the fact that a lot of his recent movies have been crap.

2. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I need a "Rolleyes" smilie, but gigantic in size.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Will Smith rumored for "Captain America"

Here's the report:

Link

It would be quite a coup for Marvel if they could get Smith - he virtually guarantees a big box office opening and broad appeal, even if the vehicle isn't everything it should be.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be quite a coup for Marvel if they could get Smith - he virtually guarantees a big box office opening and broad audience appeal, even if the vehicle isn't everything it should be.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Commodore Commodore

Re: Will Smith rumored for "Captain America"

Maybe they can get Matt Damon to play The Falcon.:rolleyes:

6. BlackestPanther

BlackestPanther Lieutenant Commander

This is a great idea and I'm happy to see that Marvel is willing to finally atone for their racist tendencies as of late by casting a black man as Cap. Bravo, Marvel. I will be the first in line.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

C'mon, they picked a black guy to be a federal agent who worked directly with the president and that was in the post-Civil War era! Or are you telling me everything in Wild Wild West was a lie?!?!?

8. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll first say that I like Will Smith in just about every movie I've seen him in BUT
    I didn't like Wild Wild West for the same reason I won't like him as Capitan America both of those characters need to be played by a white man and no I'm not being racist.

But may I make a suggestion?

Maybe Will can play Cap's side kick Bucky Wheat...:guffaw:

Just kidding. :lol:

9. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

I'd be "O-TAY!" with that. :p

I'd rather see Cap played by America Ferrera. She's got the name. Just replace some fat with muscle. ;)

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Red Skull: "Now, Captain America, you will die!"
    Captain America: "Aw, hell naw!"

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

I personally like the irony of a physically perfect "superman" combined with white skin, blonde hair, blue eyes...basically Hitler's "Aryan" vision personified...

...being the ultimate enemy of the Nazis and all they stand for.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Agreed, and I'm sure Joe Simon and Jack Kirby had the exact same thought in mind when they settled on his look.

13. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

By the way, one of Cap's partners, Battlestar was black.

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

If we're recounting Cap's black friends, I think the Falcon would top that list.

15. Mr. Adventure

But the new Battlestar isn't....

...I'll get my coat.

16. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will would make an excellent " Luke Cage".
    Not that he hung out with Cappy, just sayin'

17. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes you are being racist.

18. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Will Smith rumored for "Captain America"

Smith can't be Captain America, unless they opt for the 'Truth' storyline. This is one of those rare instances where being white actually is critical to the character; Captain America has to be at the forefront of the Allied war effort, and he can't both do that and be black given the highly bigoted climate of the time. Particularly if the film is meant to be a period piece.

Plus, it nicely highlights Cap's naiveté when he wakes up in the modern age. Cap: "Back in my day, we would never have resorted to such underhanded tactics." Sam Jackson/Fury: "Yeah? Wanna know how many black suckers died testing the superhuman serum before they were willing to graduate to a white subject?" Cap: *shocked silence*.

EDIT: Dammit, never mind. Just saw there was another, more developed thread. Why hasn't this one clanged yet? Confuses dopes like me...

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

19. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they really wanted to stretch it, they could create an AU wherein the Civil Rights movement was started by African-American soldiers returning from WW1, refusing to be put 'in their place' when they returned from vastly less racist stations overseas. By 1940, the time is right for a black symbol of a different America. Of course, in reality, those soldiers did not simply settle for their treatment back home, and the forces against were so entrenched and powerful, its hard to see them doing anything but planting the seeds of the movement we did see. Remember, many southern US states had state commissions that were little more than miniature KGB's devoted to perpetuating Jim Crow, and some of those kept on into the 70's.

The reality was a fundamentally ugly one, rotten to its core, but historically, it should be kept to. Now, if they wanted to take Mr. Bradley and make him, say, into Mister Wilson instead, with Sam Wilson as his lesser-empowered descendant, that might work.

Sam Wilson : It shouldn't have been you, but it was. Are you prepared to be a Captain to all of America?

Steve : While I was away, a great man said words I completely agree with -- Let Us Make Real The Dream. I stand ready.

20. Mr. Adventure

In all seriousness though, it would seem that the most successful superhero films financially have also been the ones that stuck closest to their source material (or at least what most of the fans consider to be faithful at least). I would hope that isn't lost on those at Marvel but then again look at some of the movies that get this wrong so you never know but I would think they'd be hesitant to deviate too much.