Caprica

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Herkimer Jitty, Mar 25, 2009.

?

What do ye think of Caprica thus far?

1. OMG IT LOOKS AWESOME

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. It looks good

23 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Looks O.K.

26 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Looks kinda bad

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG LOAD OF FELGERCARB

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting, since what I've seen of this does look quite a bit like "Kings" and yet less intriguing.

2. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks kinda bad. I'm not terribly interested in the "let's go backwards and sideways to tell a story that's already over" aspect of it. I'm also ambivalent about The Plan. Show's over.

3. species5618

species5618 Commodore Commodore

I watched the 2 hour Kings pilot, and while it's not great (Ian McShane is pretty much the only reason I watched it), I did think that perhaps Caprica would have a similar feel--but with AI in place of a shaky monarchy, of course.

4. The Master of Tarquin Hill

The Master of Tarquin Hill Commodore Commodore

I've lost my enthusiasm for this series after that shitfest finale. I'm concerned about being letdown again.

5. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

I think I read somewhere that RDM is the showrunner for the first 10 or so episodes and then the reins are being handed over to Jane Espenson.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Espenson is going to run Caprica? Like she did Buffy Season Six? I think that's the third strike for me!

7. Searider Falcon

Searider Falcon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It looks okay. The cast and the fact that I'm a sucker for back story, so I'll give it a chance.

Jane Espenson's heavy involvement, however, does give me pause. She's done some good episodes, but she's also been the responsible party for some impressive steaming piles of shit.

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I agree that the finale was a letdown, but this series has promise. It's a haunting idea--history repeating itself because one man can't let go of his daughter. I realize there's more to it ultimately than that, but one man's loss of his child being the catalyst for everything seems epic in a way I can't articulate. I guess I'm a sucker for tragedies. It's all in the cast and characters. Look at it this way, these characters can't just "forget" and "wipe the slate clean" (as if ignoring the darker parts of humanity that contribute to its tendency to be destructive will make those destructive tendencies go away in the future--God your finale sucked, RDM). These characters must go forward. Everything's bound to have more significance than a vision that haunts people for years that ends up being Baltar and Caprica picking up Hera and walking a few feet into CIC. :lol: Every step these people take bring them closer to their doom......and to their idiot grandchildren offering Gillette Ladies Shavers to their would-be lovers in the tribe down the river as valentine's gifts so she can shave her pits.

9. Dorian Thompson

If this series can answer how the centurions arise into consciousness--but were monotheistic--it will have told a fascinating story. How does that happen in a polytheistic society? You create artificial intelligence, but it has religious beliefs? Not just religious beliefs, but it springs to life complete with a conceptually alien religion? Scientists would bother to program religious beliefs?

That doesn't make sense but, if you think about it, the answer may be very sinister. Monotheism is alien to colonial society. It's only associated with fringe terrorist elements. Who is this narrative is monotheistic? Zoe is. Is Daniel still trying to recreate his daughter for years after abandoning the cybernetics?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  10. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Especially since the catalyst on the Cylon side is going to be a childs hatred of being alive.

11. Dorian Thompson

That's a nice parallel.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kings has already lost my interest, but there's no reason that Caprica has to. It's all down to 1) the characters (only Ian McShane is interesting in Kings, but it already looks like Caprica will have several interesting folks) and 2) the premise (Kings is just normal warfare and politics, without any intriguing sci fi angle).

That's an interesting story in its own right. There's no reason why those hunks of metal can't be characters who can hold our attention, especially if they have some vocal ability (voice acting can do a lot). And to make the Centurions "real characters" will patch over the problem that BSG had in retrospect, that there were key players in the story who were never made real for us.

But I'm really not expecting the metal Cylons to have much of a role in the story - this seems more aimed at the notion of re-creating humans for their emotional value, and chunks of metal just don't count.