Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. Antediluvian

Antediluvian Ensign

He's probably a fundamentalist Christian. :rolleyes:

Which means he has to be a troll, because any fundamentalist christian i've seen would never watch bsg. The very IDEA behind the show, especially the ENDING (the colonials/cylons being the missing link in our evolution) would make them rage beyond scope.

Gotz to be a troll. :rommie:

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I want to see how Zoe-A's consciousness contributes to the development of monotheism in all the centurions. Are they all a copy of her? Is Daniel copying his daughter's memory patterns into each centurion without knowing it? I'm assuming that was Zoe-A doing the shooting in the last demonstration and afterwards she was inactive, lying on the table. It feels so strange to refer to a centurion as a "she."

Does Zoe's consciousness degrade with each copy? Does she go mad and become psychotic? Does the warring between the colonies enrage her to the point where she actively foments rebellion and it gets out of hand? The real Zoe obviously wasn't a suicide bomber. That's not what she wanted. She was just incredibly naive. Does her copy get to the point that she doesn't care because her contempt for humanity has grown to a violent degree? She just wants to be human again so badly that she just doesn't care--and she trasmits the rage to the other centurions? Anger at their oppression? All these questions I want to see answered.

3. Antediluvian

Antediluvian Ensign

Pretty sure thats how its going to get.

I think eventually her sentience will remain, but her identity will somehow be lost, whether on purpose or not.

4. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

Never mind, this isnt even worth the effort of responding to.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The scenes in the v-club weren't supposed to be stimulating and you would have a hard time finding it stimulating unless you were a 15 year-old boy who hasn't seen tits before. The very point of those shots was that you were supposed to be disgusted by the society created by these immature teens. You were supposed to have the reaction that you had, and as somebody who does not consider sexual thoughts to be corruptible I had a similar reaction to the one you had.

The scene wasn't glorifying sex, it was condemning the immaturity of these people. I hope this helps you watch the rest of the pilot because it is pretty good. :)

6. JCBos

JCBos Commander Red Shirt

I think what happened is initially Zoe-A failed to fully integrate with the proto-Cylon and her program was dormant, like a subconcious. During the demonstration, I think that was the proto-Cylon utilizing the new chip, but I don't think Zoe-A was in control. Later, in the lab, Zoe-A was able to more fully "wake up" and take control; the shots of the proto-Cylon looking at its hands made me think it was the first time Zoe-A was fully "awake".

I agree, though, if Graystone isn't aware Zoe-A is in there and just starts copying the chip, he might be inadvertently copying her subconcious from Cylon to Cylon.

I also noticed that when Graystone was copying Zoe-A to the proto-Cylon, the "data stream" and code that was flashing was very similar to the glyphs we saw on Cylon baseships in BSG.

7. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought something was up with the Cylon when it went over to the disabled target and put an extra shot into it to make sure it was dead.

-Chris

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Horrific thought. A tragedy beyond measure when you consider that Zoe created Zoe-A because she envisioned her bringing people closer to God. She's going to change all that. Little did she know the legacy of destruction she'd leave behind. :borg: I doubt Zoe envisioned a scenario like the centurions cutting into the unanasthesized people from the captured Diana--or of Helena Cain's little sister being abducted on the last day of the cylon war. God knows what happened to her. Obviously the final five didn't save her. Maybe her genetic code went into the pot to help create the seven models. Zoe-A, or some corrupted form of her duplicated consciousness, made it all possible. The road to hell being paved with good intentions doesn't begin to cover it.

9. cbspock

If she wants to be human again, does this lead to the cylon's quest to create the skinjobs but they only get as far as the hybrids.

-Chris

10. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought of that, as well. A nice side effect of using this pre-fab premise.

Does anyone have a quick link to the premise of this show before it was wrapped in BSG window-dressing and co-opted? I just wonder how much it has been altered.

11. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course, if she's sufficiently zealous, she could just chock the whole thing up to the will of God, since it apparently is.

12. Gep Malakai

Gep Malakai Vice Admiral Admiral

Que? Now where's this coming from? I hadn't heard anything about the Caprica premise having been taken from some other property.

13. V

V Commodore Commodore

That's the funny part...the thing I've been trying to tell everyone since first we heard actual news about "Caprica" and I knew it would be a failure:

it's not actually ABOUT "the First Cylon War". You hear "BSG prequel" and you think "Cylon War".......it might END with the start of the Cylon War, but William Adama is 9 years old, he's not really a character.........there's NOTHING

***I think it kind of works as a miniseries, but as a series...run by Jane Espenson?

God help us all.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

From what I understand, someone pitched an idea for a show about the development of artificial intelligence, then Sci Fi (or whoever) suggested that it be set in the BSG universe. It then became the story of the development of cylons, set 50 years before the events in Battlestar Galactica.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    That's exactly what happened. Remi Aubuchon pitched the idea to what was then the Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy...I know, big whoop), and the executives there liked it, but felt it would make a good prequel to Galactica. Ronald D. Moore agreed, and revised the script to accomplish that goal.

16. WOW!

I just watched my Netflix copy and I can't believe how good this was. I was seriously surprised. Even without the Battlestar connection it was just riveting!!

While it's at times reminiscent of the Matrixes and Terminators, it's way more in depth.

BTW, anyone notice that when Joseph tells Little William their family name and hugs him the music is a version of the ole Apollo-Adama 'celtic' theme from BSG?

17. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for demonstrating your obvious lack of life experience. There are, in point of fact, several conservative, evangelical Christians who watched BSG. I'm one of them. There are some others here too. Indeed, Steve Hays and Patrick Chan at www.triablogue.blogspot.com did as well. When you gain some more life experience, get back to us. Thanks.

18. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

Aha. I start listening to the commentary track and not 2 minutes in, and they make the declaration that the location of the V-club is in fact the same theater where they filmed the opera house scenes in BSG.

19. Antediluvian

Antediluvian Ensign

Well then you aren't being very good Christians are you? Watching such utter filth and blasphemy that clearly spits on the bible in various places?

You don't even have the strength of your own convictions, you're just a coward.

Or wanting to bust out of your repressed ways.

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Gods, you christfags are so easy to troll

20. cbspock

I downloaded the movie in itunes, the DVD has commentary?

-Chris