Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. pork3

pork3 Commander

+1
    Dissapointed to say the least (though I'm not complaining about the nudity :P), especially to see a rather dismal outing from the likes of Eick/RDM/Aubuchon.

Here's hoping that things improve dramatically with the episodes to follow. Does anyone know when the first season actually commences?

-Jamman

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Rated Awesome By 9 out of 10 Awesome Experts Moderator

Well he did need some training.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a decade's worth. Four years or so would be reasonable--the length of time of a course of study at the Air Force Academy or Annapolis during peacetime. But more than that is hard to justify, especially during a war when the focus would be on getting bodies out onto the front lines.

4. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic.

I'm really surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. I expected I would hate it.

At first, I was a little turned off by how cold and stark and barren and desolate it all felt, but then slowly I realized that that was exactly what I loved about it. The loneliness of these two men and their destroyed lives. And this disconnected society and its attempt escape into anywhere besides reality. (Just like where our own society is headed.) That's what sold me.

It's different from anything I've seen before. And, like with BSG, this world feels real. It dodges the hokey trappings of most lesser sci-fi outings.

Considering that the genesis for this show was totally independent from BSG, I'm shocked at how well it works as a prequel/spin-off. And yet it doesn't try to beat you over the head with connections to BSG. It's a fully realized world(s). It adds layers to BSG, yet exists totally independent of it.

Morales is absolutely perfect as Bill Adama's father. The principal (adult) actors are all fantastic. They're too good for this, really, which can only be a good thing if the series has a chance to find its legs.

I didn't expect us to see so much "progress" toward the development of the first Cylons. I didn't really want to see them this soon, actually, but the fanboy in me enjoyed watching the robots run around and destroy everything in sight.

The show is intelligent and mature, and I think this, more than anything else, is the legacy that BSG has lent to the genre. This kind of fare certainly risks continuing to class up the genre. I can see plenty more people who "don't normally watch sci-fi" watching this show. (And plenty of traditional sci-fi geeks hating it for all the same reasons.) Like BSG, it's not for everyone. Its following will be small but loyal. I hope the show can keep its costs down. It has a lot of potential.

It's beautifully shot and well-acted. The score was competent, but not intrusive. The Adama theme had me tearing up in seconds. (Damn you, Bear, you get me every time.) I feel a lot less emotional connection to this show, which worries me a bit, but I am already drawn into this world and I want to see what happens next.

I found the BSG mini-series a little slow, and I think tihis movie took a similarly slow, "let's develop this world and its characters carefully", approach. I expect both the pace and the intensity to pick up as it goes to series. Not to the level of BSG, as that wouldn't be appropriate.

Basically, I can't wait to see where this goes next.

5. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Tame? In the first few seconds there are numerous explicit sex scenes. I asked someone if they would watch it for me to see if it got better, and they said that there was nothing like the first scene the rest of the way. So I decided to watch it, but after that scene there is immediately graphic violence. First we get some woman randomly shooting a person entering this club or whatever, then some sort of human sacrifice that was completely disturbing and unnatural. But this was all part of the beginning so I figured hey I can ignore it since there's nothing else. Then within about five minutes there are more sex scenes! Obviously the person I asked was not paying attention.

How can something that came from something so well done be so incredibly nasty? Sure there were some disgusting scenes in BSG too, but they were not nearly at the same level as this. :(

I give up! I am so frustrated at this. I've been looking forward to this for months upon months and then they go and do this!:klingon:

6. Rob Grant

Rob Grant Lieutenant

:( its not a TOS cylon.. its a Early nuBSG cylon.. TOS is seperate from nuBSG... you know that..

7. Rob Grant

Rob Grant Lieutenant

um.. Skip to the end.. just skip ahead some years.. duh..

8. Rob Grant

Rob Grant Lieutenant

Are you 14?

*face palm*

quit your whining..

9. Gregsmack

Gregsmack Captain Captain

Explicit sex? I saw some breasts. Outside of that, there were scenes in BSG that were much, much "worse" in 'Pegasus' and 'A Measure of Salvation' (but only if you're a nun). And the people being shot and sacrificed were part of the holoband world. It's pretty much like the holodeck in Star Trek TNG, except the Colonials aren't unimaginative drips. I mean, I guess it could be seen as offensive but, really, that's kind of part of the point.

You did watch BSG, right?

10. Rob Grant

Rob Grant Lieutenant

WHY does it have to be 20 eps.. *facepalm*

they should just make it less if it will be better like that..

11. Gregsmack

^ One thing I also think about is how much of Caprica we're going to need. Drawing it out to the length of BSG (70+ episodes) seems like blowing the whole concept out of proportion, not to mention making BSG seem smaller by comparison. I doubt the writers are concerned about that sort of thing, though -- it's probably only my own oddball critique anyway.

Although, to be fair, Enterprise had more episodes than the TOS, and many of which managed to damage the continuity of TOS rather than inform or support it in any meaningful way (or even superficial ways. Klingon forehead explanations? Jesus Christ). Enterprise didn't concentrate on the elements that it, as a prequel, should have. Instead it was just an overblown action series that, for some not very substantive reason, took place before the iconic TOS. If one were to watch the Star Trek canon from beginning to end continuity-wise, there would seem to be very little point to Enterprise as a whole, since it didn't really set up or provide any insight into anything coming "after" it. We've spent more time with Archer and co. doing absolutely nothing than we have with Kirk and Spock doing (generally) interesting things. What a complete waste of time. In my opinion, Caprica's writers should be a little wary of avoiding this kind of thing with the Caprica-BSG universe. Although, again, maybe I am just off my rocker about this.

12. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Water-boarding a guy? Okay.

Flushing him out an air-lock? Okay.

Flushing an innocent woman out an airlock? Okay.

Person randomly shooting themselves in the head? Okay.

Suicide bombings? Okay.

Rape? Okay.

Genocide of the human race? Okay.

Boobs? Disgusting! :eek:

13. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

but y'know, it's Teh Seks!11!! It's evul!

14. Michael Chris

In a way. I have no desire to do violence, but I certainly have a desire to have sex. Therefore it represents temptation, the vast majority of BSG did not. I imagine most aren't interested in committing wanton acts of violence, but would be tempted by sex. That is why I have a problem with it. I expected to enjoy the show, but now I really can't watch unless they edit it for TV and even then I will know what they did show. It's highly depressing.

15. Gregsmack

Speak for yourself, buddy.

16. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I would like to see in Caprica is how do the colonies interact with one another. The impression each colony is an independent nation, and the President and Quorum of the 12 are more like the United Nations or the European Union.

-Chris

17. anti-matter

anti-matter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BHUT BHUT BHUT WHADTTTTTT?

I thought Caprica was supposed to be a new Sci-Fi TV show? Kind of ruins the fun out of watching the show all at the same time and commenting on it.

...just say'en since the end of nBSG I've not been myself and have been avoiding this place. Not that I'm fracked up or anything serious...but since the end of that show I've changed. If I had to put my finger on it I'd have to say I'm way less happy than I use to be otherwise things are fine.

18. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

No, There's only one shot which includes some people in military dress and they're seemingly deliberately out of focus. There are no space scenes at all.

:cardie: How old are you? You can't watch TV without being tempted, 'monkey see monkey do' style by a couple of pairs of breasts? The club was like it was to show the levels of depravity the virtual world had got to, helping to explain why the 'one true god' crowd didn't like it.
    But the scenes on the club floor make up at most 6 minutes of the show. I wouldn't worry, you can close your eyes.

19. Michael Chris

I am 21, not tempted to have sex so much as lust or become aroused.

20. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

Which given that it is a subconscious response beyond your control, is a problem why exactly?

Anyway, just watch it thinking "Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day" over and over. You'll be fine.