Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. Tom

Tom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well if you remember in the Razor flashback when Adama and the cylon are free falling you see how the cylon is seeing (and tracking) adama and there is a rotation from clear to sharp from what they show.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well one of the Razor flashbacks shows what seeing from a TOS Cylons perspective is like a it does use the onw eye moving back and forth to see.

3. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We have. It was called Cylon Projection.

4. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

^^It seemed obvious to me...

5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The Greystones unwittingly gave the enemy everything it needed to destroy humanity and be comfortable while doing it.

Besides, if holobands are still in use by the human population at all by that time (I suspect not--the colonials looked "backwards" in technology because they were afraid of their enemies--holobands might have become passé or hated) I'm sure they didn't go home to grab their holobands when they were panicking to find escape ships as the nukes were falling. You'd grab your child before your holoband.

6. Roshi

^^besides I think holobands would require a network to function. And I think it was strictly verboten under Adama's command.

7. Dorian Thompson

Bingo about Adama probably forbidding them because he refused to have networked computers on his ship.

8. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stereoscopic vision is difficult to accomplish, and it primary benefit, depth perception, is better realized by the use of a laser rangefinder in conjunction with monocular vision.

Our binocular vision system works because out brains are designed to combine two images into a single coherent image with depth. But programing a machine to do so is not very easy at all, and not very practical. With the use of precise rangefinders to provide precise measurements of depth, steropisis, which provides an inaccurate approximation of depth, is redundant. Binocular vision then would only serve to provide a wider field of view. However, such a wider field of view can only work if the machine is programed for steropsis, or if the cameras are in a fixed position relative to each other such that their images will never overlap.

9. Roshi

BTW, where have I already heard a character called Zee being a super genius? :confused:

;) :p

10. Dorian Thompson

AAAAACKK!! Don't compare Zoe to Cousin Oliver's illegitimate cousin! :eek:

11. Roshi

omigod a Brady Bunch reference! :eek:
    And you do know I was kidding, dear, don't you? :)

12. Dorian Thompson

Zoe good.
    Cousin Oliver bad. :alienblush:
    Even in jest.

13. Tom

Tom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assuming that the paper is just a display/interface, and doesn't contain the computer proper, you wouldn't have seen the digital paper aboard Galactica herself; it would require wireless networking to operate.

You might see it aboard other ships, but probably not aboard something like Colonial One, where there wouldn't have been any existing infrastructure for the paper to work with (being the equivalent of a jumbo jet).

They had to regress their technology; anything with an exposed network (especially wireless) could be exploited by the Cylons.

15. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw it today. VERY VERY Good. I can't wait for the first season to start.

I always wanted to learn more about the 12 Colonies' society, religion, politics and culture. It's good that we finally will get that chance.

16. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Commander Red Shirt

Avg-above avg. Turned out a lot better than what I thought it would. But that Tauron-mafia guy turned out such a cliched performance.

17. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps the holobands and the electronic paper* both require a planet (or even system wide ubiquitous wireless network to operate...and this network would have been outlawed/dismantled during the war (being a vulnerability to Cylon penetration....)

*(e-paper, in a more advanced form, ideally, would contain it's own processing power - vastly greater than todays desktops/laptops/iphones - but maybe the colonies were at that level of MEMS/nanotech yet...)

18. cultcross

cultcross The truth is precisely the opposite Moderator

Thought it was really quite good. I'm going to give it an 'Above Average' rather than 'Excellent' because it didn't blow me away, BSG miniseries style, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. Really looking forward to the series starting proper. The 'kid' actors were actually half decent for once, and the only exception got blown up in the first 10 minutes, so I'm happy! Wasn't so keen on the Principal character, she seemed wooden. Otherwise, happy with the cast so far.
    The mafia thing's a bit clichéd, but hopefully that will turn into something worth having. The whole Greystone thing was my favourtie part of the show, the family, Daniel discovering the v-club and the v-Zoe. It was very interesting seeing his reactions and his drive to 'save' her.

Oh, and finally, a species has holodecks and actually uses them for what holodecks would actualy be used for. Realism +1 ;)

19. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not Holodecks, VR. And it's use made sense, sort of, but was extremely unimaginative. The great thing about DNI VR is the ability to be anyone. Having your body as a standard Avatar may make sense from the perspective of a businessman who will be using the technology to go to virtual meetings, but the average user would choose something less literal and more symbolic, at least to utilize the anonymity or pseudonymity potentially provided by a global computer network. But the underground, it would have avatars that don't even remotely resemble humans. The V Club should have been filled with furries and anime characters, among other things.

The great thing about DNI VR is the ability to literally become someone that you could never be in real life, to experience sensory input that the human body is unable to produce. The blind would be able to see, the deaf would be able to hear, and a lot of people would know what it feels like to be a hermaphroditic griffin five penises and two vaginas. Or a robot tank with a 120mm cannon, five metallic penises, and two vaginas.

I can understand that they probably lacked a hermaphrodite griffin budget and they probably wouldn't be able to get five penises past the censors, but they could have at least had a couple of cell-shaded background characters.

The part where they shoot each other for fun was a bit silly, considering that any civilization with that technology is likely to have a VR version of Counterstrike. Mass marketed games is one of the most obvious applications of the technology.

I do believe that the social ramification of such technology warrants further exploration, and hope they will in future episodes, perhaps they'll even save up a decent hermaphrodite griffin budget in the future.

20. alicelouise

alicelouise Commander Red Shirt

Anyone notice that that if you mixed the Greystones and Adamas an offspring would look look an awful lot like Lee "Apollo" Adama?:rommie: