Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

One thing I appreciated about Caprica is that everyone acknowledged that the copy was a copy. Zoe knew she was a copy. Daniel knew his daughter was dead, though his grief may have overwhelmed him to the point where he convinced himself otherwise. Adama's daughter knew something was wrong since she wasn't told she was an avatar.

It's not like The Sixth Day where the bad guys didn't fear dying because they'd just be cloned -- even though they'd still be dead because the clones aren't them!

2. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're right, people can only feel sympathy for perfect, upstanding, moral citizens, and these are the only kind of people the audiences want to watch a show about. That's why nobody ever watched The Sopranos, The Shield, or Dexter... oh wait...

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I'm with Aragorn. I very much appreciate that Zoe A is recognized as a copy. She's not Zoe. She's like Zoe, but she's not Zoe. I suspect that difference will manifest itself more and more as Zoe A individuates and becomes more vengeful and violent than Zoe ever intended or wanted with her childlike belief that Zoe A could positively change society and human nature. Zoe A is a child left alone without guidance. She was never really human, never lived in the human world or grew up there. The only human to whom she felt allegiance was her "mother," and her mother is gone--killed by human violence.

TWIST

There's an article by Michael Hinman with no actual spoilers but one hell of a spoiler tease for midseason.

And if you thought there was no room for surprises in a prequel series, you're wrong. You're dead wrong.
    I can't say much about it, but let's just say there is a twist coming up, possibly around mid-season or slightly later, that will make your chin hit the floor. I mean, a huge twist. One that involves a death you will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever see coming. Even with this hint here, you won't see it coming.
    It's a secret that is so big, that it makes the Final Cylon debate and speculation nothing more than a trivia question on "Jeopardy!"
    You are lost on what I'm talking about right now, but bookmark this preview. When this incident occurs (and you'll know it when it happens), come back here and say, "Wow! Mike told me so!"...

So--is Bill Adama a cylon? :lol:

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A thunderstorm electrocutes Bill Adama while he's on the toilet and the person we've come to known is actually an adopted child that shares the same first name? :devil:

5. Dorian Thompson

ROFL! :guffaw:

Seriously, whose death could be so shocking that Hinman would play it up like that? Does Daniel kill Zoe A in an attempt to create a more malleable Zoe 3.0 who turns out to be even further from the original Zoe's true personality? Does he murder his wife to keep her quiet when she (inevitably) finds out what's going on? Does Zoe A replace Daniel?

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only death that would "shock" me would have to be little Billy Adama...

7. Dorian Thompson

That was my thinking. There was a companion piece to that article I linked with some quotes from Esai. He said the script had him in tears thinking of what it would be like to experience that. What else could have you in tears like that except the death of a child? Is there another Bill Adama? Does Sam Adama have a toddler aged son stashed somewhere? A younger one to account for what some consider to be an age discrepancy? Does cousin Bill watch his uncle try to resurrect his daughter and son with cylon technology? Is he raised by uncle Joseph after the mob knocks off his father? Bill was awfully quick to recognize Leoben as a cylon. Just a little too familiar in spite of what might have happened aboard the Diana 40 years earlier. For all he knew that technology never worked. How did he know that Leoben was a cylon humanoid lifeform? A 4 year old boy in Caprica would turn 62 at the time of the later armageddon. He could have enlisted towards the end of the cylon war. It would fit. He'd still be young enough to start thinking of Joseph as a father, too.

Maybe Zoe A kills Billy. Or Tamara A. :eek:

8. Kolrad

Kolrad Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is it possible that Tamara A ends up becoming the Cylons instead of Zoe A?

9. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I sure hope Billy Adama doesn't die, because if so, we all just spoilered ourselves something fierce.

10. gblews

gblews Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally saw the pilot and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't looking forward to it and skipped it when it aired before or was out on disc or whatever. Before the premier I'd even heard it referred to as "BSG 90210".

I think a lot of historical events originate or change or are influenced by random obscure stuff, so Zoe being the basis of the Cylon's monotheistic, human hating philosophy, only intrigues me.

I'm anxious for more.

11. Uncle Tobias

Uncle Tobias Lieutenant Red Shirt

"Adama is a Cylon" :eek:

12. Dorian Thompson

Maybe the real Bill Adama did go into the matrix and eventually became a cylon. The Bill Adama we know could be any random child Joseph took in later and renamed William. Wouldn't that be something?

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

:eek: ...is right! :eek:

Yes, that would be something, and I agree that it would help solve the age problem.

I wonder if that's what they're doing, pulling a "Jimmy Olsen" like they did on Smallville. In case anyone is wondering, they killed off Jimmy Olsen and revealed that he was actually the real Jimmy's his older brother who used the nickname "Jimmy".

Too much speculation. Let's see if this actually comes to pass.

14. Dorian Thompson

Something shocking's going to come to pass around midseason-ish, if both that article and Esai Morales aren't blowing smoke. I don't know why they'd make it up. We shall see.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

ADAMA: "I can't let William die again!"

ASTRID: "What did you just say?"

16. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like this?

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not really a spoiler when it's speculation...

And I've found the stuff I think will happen usually doesn't. :D

18. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Above Average": Definitely enjoyed it, and I think the show has a lot of potential. Some scenes in particular towards the end were fascinating, I thought.

Having said that it didn't quite grab me the way nuBSG did back in the day. But I'm still very much looking forward to following it and seeing how it develops. I certainly hope it will get a shot at a full run.

19. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they're using memory that is based on quantum computing principles where entanglement is used to transfer data, I guess you can sort of rationalise away the inability to make a copy.

20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I enjoy Caprica more than seasons 3 and 4 of Battlestar Galactica and it tackles its subject matter in a way that I think is superior to the first two seasons of Galactica: strife, religious conflict, and terrorism. Also, unlike on BSG, artificial intelligence actually feels to me like it's artificial intelligence.

I don't know if there's multiple seasons worth of material here but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.