Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I don't think it's supposed to be family-friendly rather than it is about families (as opposed to the government and military).

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Maybe they changed their minds because I thought Eick said when the series was in development that it was going to be much more family friendly than BSG. Maybe I heard wrong, but the eroticism in the first 10 minutes sure didn't make it more family friendly, especially when it was a bunch of teenage eroticism.

3. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    I voted "Average" when the DVD first was available and after seeing it again last night, I wouldn't change that grade. Still, the second viewing was enjoyable enough and cleared up a few things. Not a great start at all, but I'll be tuning in next week ...

4. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

No, they always said "family drama" (as in about families, not for families). I never once remember hearing anyone say "family friendly."

5. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL!

6. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

No, I don't recall that ever being said. I can't imagine anything in the BSG universe being family friendly. Far from it.

7. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Admiral

Can i just as a quick question is the episode that as just aired the episode that was released in April?
    I do not want to go though the thread in case its a new ep and i get spoiled.

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

Well, than maybe I was just confused. Happened before, probably will happen again. ;)

Thanks for the clarification though. I wasn't using it to judge the show, but I was surprised on how much of the whole sex thing there was.

9. RoJoHen

Yes, what aired last night was the pilot, which was released on DVD last year.

10. RoJoHen

I think people hear the term "family drama" and picture something from ABC Family or Lifetime.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I voted Above Average the first time around and I'm sticking with that. I really enjoyed it but the first half needed some pacing work.

12. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I liked it. Someone at another forum brought up a reminder of a [now] very haunting thing said over and over by the hybrid on BSG:

"Mists of dreams drip along the nascent echo and love no more. End of line."

Tell me that the collective cylon soul isn't the nascent echo of Zoe Greystone. A soul that will love no more the longer she's trapped in a cylon body. So much for the real Zoe's dreams of positive change. Her child creation will "change all that," just like she said. She never could have imagined how.

13. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    I'm still amazed at how the annihilation of the Colonies can be traced all the way back to a rebellious teenage girl. There's a definite message in that. :lol:

14. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Yeah, monitor your teenage computer genius daughter's computer usage. :lol: Too much time online is dangerous, parents. ;)

15. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wanted to like it. Really did, but by the end, I don't. I will give it a chance, by watching several more episodes, but the pilot did not impress. I realized that I prefer my SciFi with a little more scifi than Caprica offered.

I don't understand how we're supposed to feel sympathy for Zoey. She's a spoiled little brat convinced that her way is the best way. Skipping school, going to that club, and hanging out with a different crowd. And somehow she's some type of genius able to create something no one has been able to come up with? From what? Restaraunt slips, parking tickets, grades, ect.... OK, maybe the Zoey avatar was more than that, but Adama's daughter wasn't.

Adama is some type of lawyer, but he has ties to mobsters? How are we supposed to have sympathy for him either? If he were able to resist the mob, that would be something different, but he ends up delivering the message to that judge (smoking man). I get it, he lost his kid and daughter, but still.

I felt bad for Zoey's mom (step-mom?). I felt bad for Zoey's friend that wasn't blown up.

It's still early in this show, I'm willing to give it more of a chance, but I'm not confident on it.

16. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With you on that one. After the pilot I don't care much about it.
    So the destruction of the colonies was brought on by a lawyer and by a deus ex machina teenage girl on the rag???

17. Kolrad

Kolrad Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah; that's exactly what they did on Voyager every time the holographic Doctor was "stolen."

And it's really too bad, because it would be so much more interesting to explore what the implications would be of a life form that could be copied, backed up, deleted, recovered, and saved in multiple versions like a real computer file. There would be a lot of messy questions that could make for some interesting stories.

18. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer to put the decisive moment at Joe Adama forgetting his lucky lighter. If he'd had it, he never would've met Greystone, and Greystone would've never gotten his stolen heuristic processor, and Zoƫ would've sat safely in the internet forever.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about transferring AIs is not so much a "common conceit" as it is a common error, and in that respect it's simply annoying. Either the writers don't understand the technology or they're betting that their audience doesn't understand it or doesn't care.

Meh.

There wasn't enough here to justify tuning in to the next episode - plodding, illogical, prosaic and disjointed are a few adjectives that come to mind. It also has the classic symptoms of prequelitis - too much of the dramatic value as well as the in-jokes are based on an existing affection for the work it's derived from. Absent the significance of the Cylons in BSG, for example, the metal contraption in which the girl finds herself trapped at the end is merely comic and pathetic.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I admit it would be rather unsettling to watch this show, knowing that in 50 or so years everything we see here is going to be blown to smithereens. Although I suspect that's the point.