Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Battlestar Galactica & Caprica' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Grade the pilot...

1. Excellent

35.3%
  2. Above Average

43.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

4.3%
  5. Poor

4.3%
  1. Roshi

Roshi Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, you sure? :wtf: Isn't it the Cylon who fell apart in Daniel's lab when he first implanted the chip instead?

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought the chip he put in the Cylon WAS Zoey's Avatar? That's why he freaks out because he thinks he killed his dead daughter again and he runs into the VR and can't find her... because she's still in the Cylon.

3. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

It didn't fall apart, it fell over. They probably only had the one demo prototype cylon, and even if they didn't, he definitely only had the one stolen processor. Daniel doubtless loaded in the combat AI programming into the processor, thinking that Zoe-A had crashed totally, unaware that her program was still in the processor, sitting right next to the fighting AI.

4. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched it last night and thought it was very good. It's promises much; here's hoping they can follow it through. I don't get all the 'it was boring' comments though. Sure, it's very talky but that's not a bad thing.

5. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because despite being an IT-Genius he apparently doesn't know the difference between Cut&Paste and Copy&Paste.

That's the one thing that really bugs me about the movie.

6. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a common conceit in Sci-Fi that AIs need to be transferred, as opposed to copied. It happens all the time in movies, shows, novels, video games...

7. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

Exactly. If there's no risk there's no tension.

8. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Bill often spoke well of his father in the early seasons. In "A Day in the Life" during the third season, he said to Roslin that he told her once that he didn't get along with his father.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I finally got around to watching this. I was completely shocked at all the breasts at the beginning, but definitely not disgusted by any means. I really don't have any negative things to say about the pilot. I enjoyed it more than Stargate Universe, and I wish that I could go ahead and see more episodes now because I liked what I saw. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular to begin with, but I think this show could end up being better than BSG.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yay, the Caprica thread is back. I'm getting really SICK of waiting. :wtf:
    Wow, faint praise! :rommie: Caprica is a bit draggy but at least there's an attempt being made to create a show around a genuine sci fi concept. That alone makes it a rarity on TV and worth supporting.

It's already got a more solid premise than BSG did. I think BSG's problem was that they imported the premise from the original series, but that really wasn't the story that RDM and the gang wanted to tell. In retrospect, they should have cut the apron strings even more completely than they did. Caprica might be an attempt to do that at long last.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell Comfortably Numb Premium Member

I'm giving it "Above Average." Finally got around to seeing it, thanks to JonathonWally, er... Jack Skellington.

Great concept, pretty good execution. I have few complaints:

1. The recycling of the holoband footage. It was pretty obvious.
    2. The acting abilities of the young'uns.
    3. Some of the effects felt a bit below par.

Other than that, it was very good. Definitely a solid story, and I look forward to the series. And while the girl playing Zoe isn't that great an actress (yet), at least she's cute.

12. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I loved the vision of how a modern society would develop without having been influenced by the judeochristian worldview. I'm curious about the monotheists, particularly the dead daughter, and her "plan". Ooh, and I just realized why centurions believe in one god, lol.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

In two days, the series kicks off with an airing of this pilot episode.

14. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gotta say that it's a good thing that I've already seen the pilot on DVD and am at least intrigued. If I were to decide whether or not to see this series based entirely on the commercials, I probably wouldn't tune in.

15. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

I was just trying to find a thread to ask the question as to whether or not this week is the same ep from the dvd. That kinda sucks for those of use who have seen the dvd already. We have to wait yet another week dammit!

16. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Vice Admiral Admiral

A deserted gin joint on the Lower East Side
    Yeah, but it's a good way to refresh your memory as to the specific details of the pilot. It's been so long since I've seen it that it's a god thing that they're airing it this week.

17. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't particular wowed by it. It is always hard to judge a series based on its two hour pilot. Some shows go on to exceed it. I'm not sure what to really expect.

It was certainly "smaller" in scope than BSG and the cast size was a little surprising--it was quite modest. A lot of the material was pretty well worn by so many other sci-fi series and films that definitely contributed to a "been there done that" feel.

I understood what Moore was going for emotionally with the dilemma of a father's loss and his motivations but we'd seen so little of Zoe--and what we did was not enough to make me care--that it fell flat. The contrast between the 50s feel of the show and the futuristic feel was interesting but I can't say gangs or the cliched minority backstory they seem to be setting up for Adama is all that compelling or fresh.

I can't say I'm interested in any of the other characters besides Greystone, Adama and Sister Clarice. It will be interesting to see how they develop the series and what plotlines will come into focus over time--and whether they'll be interesting and enough to sustain the series. I'm curious about how this might tie into the mythology from BSG.

I'll give it an average for now--I might re-evaluate once I see how some of it fits into context with what new pieces come into play down the road.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I voted excellent. I liked it even better the fourth time around.* That's a good sign. Can't wait to see the rest of the first season! A good, solid drama, with a lot of twisted things, and an interesting concept. I like all the characters.

* On DVD, on DVD with commentary, on DVD again showing it to someone else shortly afterwards, and today on SyFy.

19. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it, ambiance and "feel" of the BSG 'verse minus the military overlay. and oddly the one character I find grating: Joe Adama...

The season preview looked most intriguing. Was that Amanda Graystone as a hybrid? "All this has happened before..."

Sharr

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Admiral Premium Member

I wasn't going to watch it, but decided to do the on-demand thing and liked it. Yeah the themes have been covered before in other scifi endevors, but so what. They are good themes to be explored again and again.

However, didn't I hear something along the lines of this was going to be more family friendly than BSG? I ask because in the first 20 minutes they have a terrorist bombing and it actually reminded me of when Six killed the baby in the Miniseries. It feels like it's going to be just as dark as BSG, only without the military. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I was a bit surprised on how grotesque some of these scenes were. I'll come back next week to see how they follow up because I liked the pilot a lot.